Forum Problems?

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
stormsmuggler

Re: Forum Problems?

Post by stormsmuggler » Sat May 21, 2011 11:23 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:
I don't understand why it seems to be important to you that the membership should get pruned? (The bots are a recent problem, and we need to tackle them in a different way.)
Latest member just looked up locatation, not somehere I've ever heard of, done a google search and the place isn't a place but access to heavy arms and illegal weapons.

*pulls down peak on trilby to hide face*
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sat May 21, 2011 11:24 am

That'll be a bot - we'll be aiming to prevent them from joining at all. :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Cate

Post by Cate » Sat May 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:I don't understand why it seems to be important to you that the membership should get pruned? (The bots are a recent problem, and we need to tackle them in a different way.)
I may have misunderstood, but at one point I got the impression that the large number of accounts was clogging things up. ("Clogging things up" being the technical term, of course. :wink: ) That's all.

Cate

Post by Cate » Sat May 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Sorry to double post - the forum did a go-slow on me and I couldn't get back to edit.

Just to say, you can use the Search feature when you're not signed in; I've tried. :wink:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun May 22, 2011 1:42 am

Quick moment of panic; will the new forum still be open to people from outside the UK? I'm a "foreigner" but I can't live without this forum, the only australian rat forums are awful, where people don't care about the rats or have any knowledge. Plus, I'm moving to the UK one day, when I can afford it (probably when I'm grey and old, the way my finances are going, but still!)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun May 22, 2011 9:29 am

Of course, yes, open to anyone from anywhere. :D
Cate wrote:I may have misunderstood, but at one point I got the impression that the large number of accounts was clogging things up.
No, I don't think the number of member accounts has ever affected it, if anything it would only be the number of members logged in at any one time. It's more the huge number of threads, the sheer volume of information, and we don't want to lose that, so freezing this database and starting afresh on another one should help speed things up. :wink:
Mary x

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun May 22, 2011 10:40 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:Of course, yes, open to anyone from anywhere. :D
Big sigh of relief :D
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Cate

Post by Cate » Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
Cate wrote:I may have misunderstood, but at one point I got the impression that the large number of accounts was clogging things up.
No, I don't think the number of member accounts has ever affected it, if anything it would only be the number of members logged in at any one time. It's more the huge number of threads, the sheer volume of information
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

longlegs

Post by longlegs » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I have a couple of questions...

When we move, will we still be able to log in to this version and see our old PMs? I know we won't be able to post here or presumably send new PMs, just wanted to check if the existing ones will disappear.

Secondly, is the autoprune on this forum/certain subforums going to be removed? Or are the autopruned areas like Feeding, Habitat and Your Rats going to be allowed to run down the number of posts over time?
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed May 25, 2011 4:00 pm

The care boards, and those with long autoprunes currently (like Your Rats) will have the pruning taken off, so they will remain static. Short term forums like Market Place, Chat, and Rehoming will continue being pruned so will fairly soon become empty.

I'm not sure whether you'll have access to PMs, but I expect so - there needs to be some form of log in mechanism to keep the non-public boards restricted to members only. Not exactly sure yet how it'll work in detail. Whatever happens there will be some notice given.
Mary x

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned as haven't read the whole thread, but I would really like to be able to edit posts beyond whatever the limit is now. So often I want to add something or change spelling and I can't.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

longlegs

Post by longlegs » Wed May 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply :)
Cyber Ratty wrote:The care boards, and those with long autoprunes currently (like Your Rats) will have the pruning taken off, so they will remain static. Short term forums like Market Place, Chat, and Rehoming will continue being pruned so will fairly soon become empty.
That sounds good :D
Cyber Ratty wrote:I'm not sure whether you'll have access to PMs, but I expect so - there needs to be some form of log in mechanism to keep the non-public boards restricted to members only. Not exactly sure yet how it'll work in detail. Whatever happens there will be some notice given.
Cool - I thought the answer would be something like that, but just thought I'd better check so that people don't suddenly lose all their PMs without having taken copies of them :o

Hope everything is going smoothly with setting up the new forum :luck:
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

siberiankiss wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned as haven't read the whole thread, but I would really like to be able to edit posts beyond whatever the limit is now. So often I want to add something or change spelling and I can't.
The reason this was removed in the first place was because some members abused the facility and used it to delete content, causing threads to become nonsensical. I think the time currently allowed (10 mins?) is long enough to spot spelling mistakes - and the preview function is very useful for checking the post over before submitting it, especially with regards to formatting.
Mary x

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm

If the old forum is locked will we still be able to pm members on it?
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu May 26, 2011 6:29 am

Anyone else think the missing posts that were lost due to the reboot may have been raptured?! :lol:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue