Forum Problems?

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
Athena

Re: Forum Problems?

Post by Athena » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 am

I have walked away from forum sign ups where account activation isn't instant or via enslave quickly!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Bazu

Re: tRe: Forum Problems?

Post by Bazu » Thu May 19, 2011 7:23 am

Jird wrote:
msmara wrote:ETA: I'm not sure if there are enough mods for this to be a valid idea, but, is it possible for a new member's first, say 5 or 10 posts to be approved before they're a proper member? It may stop us getting so many pet trolls :)
I'm not sure that would be a very good idea - a lot of people only sign up when they're having issues and need advice urgently (like, their 'male' rat just gave birth!), and requiring that their posts be approved rather than going through straight away could stop them getting essential advice in time. It also might discourage non-troll newbies - I know I'm a pretty impatient person, and if too many obstacles are put in the way I just won't bother with a website! I'm not sure how the mods would even be able to tell for sure which posts were trolling or not anyway, really.
And further to that, it doesn't take that long for a new member to whizz around the forum "enthusiastically" asking questions and replying - I could get 5-10 new posts up in as many minutes, so I'm sure a troll could quite easily do the same and then get on with their dirty work.
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 am

The dificulty with instant registration is that it lets in the floods of bots too...
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 am

Athena wrote:I have walked away from forum sign ups where account activation isn't instant or via enslave quickly!

Hmmm that was meant to be email. This word predictor is getting me in trouble. Just called my friend Lucy licey! Wonder what I've been testing about lol
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu May 19, 2011 8:12 am

Athena wrote:
Athena wrote:I have walked away from forum sign ups where account activation isn't instant or via enslave quickly!

Hmmm that was meant to be email. This word predictor is getting me in trouble. Just called my friend Lucy licey! Wonder what I've been testing about lol
:lol: I sometimes get in trouble with my word predictor as well. I accidently find myself winking at people ;) instead of smiling :). Not always good...... :lol:
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu May 19, 2011 8:54 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:The dificulty with instant registration is that it lets in the floods of bots too...
Amen. I hate bots. They are the bane of my life *goes off to delete 4 pages worth on NERS*

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 am

The bots rarely bother with the ones where you click a link in an email, is that right?

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 am

Athena wrote:The bots rarely bother with the ones where you click a link in an email, is that right?
No. Afraid not.
I have set up email, and admin activation on the NERS, and i STILL have to delete 4 pages a week of bots.
It is ridiculous. I had a captcha thing, but genuine people couldn't read it. *stabs bots in the eye*

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Thu May 19, 2011 10:08 am

Cate wrote:Welcome back and thanks to everyone concerned for all their hard work. :D

I love FR the way it is as well. :hearts: Please could we keep the option of choosing the subsilver (or something similar) theme so that those of us who have a problem with them can escape the lines-moving-upwards-icons on busy threads that make us feel seasick? :)
The forum will look very different because we feel it is important to use a standard tweaked template, rather than one that requires extensive editing od scripts etc if we want to upgrade. So it will be an 'off the shelf' skin that we all agreed on, but we will make sure that alternatives are available for anyone who doesn't like the new look.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

Cate

Post by Cate » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 am

tabirat wrote:
Cate wrote:Welcome back and thanks to everyone concerned for all their hard work. :D

I love FR the way it is as well. :hearts: Please could we keep the option of choosing the subsilver (or something similar) theme so that those of us who have a problem with them can escape the lines-moving-upwards-icons on busy threads that make us feel seasick? :)
The forum will look very different because we feel it is important to use a standard tweaked template, rather than one that requires extensive editing od scripts etc if we want to upgrade. So it will be an 'off the shelf' skin that we all agreed on, but we will make sure that alternatives are available for anyone who doesn't like the new look.
Thanks, Alison. I didn't mean to sound fussy. :oops: It's not that I don't like the look of the theme we have now, just that my eyes can't cope with those upscrolling icons.

I'm really grateful for all the hard work everyone's putting into this and look forward to moving to our new Internet home. *Packs bags* :wink:

Rackie

Post by Rackie » Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 am

Did we ever use that Captcha that Hornet made years ago? Would that help get rid of a few more Bots?
Rackie and the Symphony Rats

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu May 19, 2011 11:26 am

I thought we were using it... I've just had a look at the registration page and it's not there, does it come after the initial page? (I haven't joined for a long time, lol!)

For those who don't know what we're talking about, it was one of a number of photos of a rat and you had to click on their nose (iirc).

Can someone who's joined in the last 3 years please confirm whether it's part of the process or not please?
Mary x

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

I don't remember clicking on any noses, but I did have a problem getting my registration email too if I remember correctly.
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 pm

i didnt have to do that, when did i join? *posts to see

eta: i joined within three years (just) and didnt have to click on noses, id remember that!

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Well that might explain the bots then! :roll:

We will look into getting that installed for the new forum.
Mary x