Some forum parts are inaccessible

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
User avatar
Athena
Member
Member
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Athena » Fri May 27, 2011 10:21 am

sabotage? :o
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

User avatar
Woody
Member
Member
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Woody » Fri May 27, 2011 10:25 am

the forum at rathealth.co.uk which is at the same server was suffering the same table issues yesterday as well, so I would assume that it was at the server end rather than here.
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

User avatar
Woody
Member
Member
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Woody » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

Wonder if the last post fell through the cracks or if vortexes to the other universe are getting bigger? :D
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

User avatar
Woody
Member
Member
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Woody » Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 am

tabirat wrote:It's very difficult to tell at the moment if all the recent issues are glitches (and hugely co-incidental) or sabotage
Coincidental to what?
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

User avatar
Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 7989
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:36 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Cyber Ratty » Fri May 27, 2011 10:33 am

Woody wrote:Wonder if the last post fell through the cracks or if vortexes to the other universe are getting bigger? :D
Had to copy the topic and then move it back in order to reveal the recent posts... all the topic should be visible now.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

User avatar
tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:28 pm
Location: Tyneside
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by tabirat » Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 am

Co-incidental to each other. Co-incidental in the sense of masses of different problems (many of which have never happened here before) occuring in quick succession. A number of people suggested to us that the disappearance of individual members for instance, had a high chance of being intentional.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

User avatar
Woody
Member
Member
Posts: 3623
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Woody » Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 am

It is hard to imagine that anyone would have the technical knowledge, hatred of Rackie and RetroLemons (I think, I know it began with an R!) and ambivalence to everyone else to hack the server, remove the user accounts and all posts by those users, do no more damage and then come back a few days later and crash the entire server, but I guess anything is possible.

To get that level of control of the database, and do so little with it, and then not contact the mods with 'demands' seems highly unlikely. Having said that, the net is getting a more hostile place. In the first year of the ratwarehouse, one person tried to hack it. Now we get at least 1 attempted hack every other day (all unsuccessful, but you learn more from each one). It takes a lot more effort and knowledge to keeps servers running safe than it used to.

I would imagine a look through the server logs and or database would tell you what happened.
The current issues (the table errors on active users etc) appear to be a server crash though which can be fixed by rebuilding the tables.
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

User avatar
RetroLemons
Member
Member
Posts: 4736
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by RetroLemons » Fri May 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Woody wrote:It is hard to imagine that anyone would have the technical knowledge, hatred of Rackie and RetroLemons (I think, I know it began with an R!) and ambivalence to everyone else to hack the server, remove the user accounts and all posts by those users, do no more damage and then come back a few days later and crash the entire server, but I guess anything is possible.
:o

:lol: Cant wait for the new forum though, I was panicking the forum was going to go down for ages yesterday!
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

User avatar
SargentEllie
Member
Member
Posts: 6040
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by SargentEllie » Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Athena wrote:sabotage? :o
Really? ... I love a good conspiracy theory I really do :D but I just dont see who could have anything against Racks and retrolemons, I dont know retrolemons that well but I do know Racks and she is probably the most inoffesive person I have ever met.. , and also FR in general? also who is going to hack a forum about pet rats? I know you said TRW is hacked Woody but presumably thats because they are looking for financial gain?

ETA unless its simons rodents or P@H hahahah
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

User avatar
Rackie
Member
Member
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:14 am
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Rackie » Fri May 27, 2011 10:58 pm

I dunno, maybe I've got myself a stalker... interestiiiiing.... :-| :D
Rackie and the Symphony Rats

User avatar
Amzy
Member
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:58 am
Location: Bodmin, Cornwall

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Amzy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 pm

SargentEllie wrote:
Athena wrote:sabotage? :o
Really? ... I love a good conspiracy theory I really do :D but I just dont see who could have anything against Racks and retrolemons, I dont know retrolemons that well but I do know Racks and she is probably the most inoffesive person I have ever met.. , and also FR in general? also who is going to hack a forum about pet rats? I know you said TRW is hacked Woody but presumably thats because they are looking for financial gain?

ETA unless its simons rodents or P@H hahahah
I was wondering whether it was just Rackie and Retrolemons that got deleted or whether any non active members got deleted that have gone unnoticed?
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

User avatar
tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:28 pm
Location: Tyneside
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by tabirat » Sat May 28, 2011 12:29 am

I wouldn't for one minute assume that anything was personal towards Rackie and Retrolemons :o - or the other people who were affected. If anyone did bother to hack FR then I would have thought that it would have been more of a general attack designed to cause mayhem and inconvenience to the admin rather than any member. Whilst I can't imagine *anyone* hating Rackie or the others affected - there are plenty of folks who have been very vocal about their hatred for FRA. I haven't got the knowledge personally to know what's possible and what's not in terms of bypassing forum security - but I do know that people with much greater knowledge than me have suggested that it may well have been intentional. No conspiracy theory - just a possibility based on advice we have been given. Anyway - it really doesn't matter, what matters is moving forward and creating a new and secure FR on a server where proper technical support comes as part of what we are paying for (we are currently relying entirely on good will), and we can all get back to enjoying the banter and the rats.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

User avatar
Anthony
Member
Member
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Newcastle / Hatfield, Herts

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Anthony » Sat May 28, 2011 4:34 am

tabirat wrote:I wouldn't for one minute assume that anything was personal towards Rackie and Retrolemons :o - or the other people who were affected. If anyone did bother to hack FR then I would have thought that it would have been more of a general attack designed to cause mayhem and inconvenience to the admin rather than any member. Whilst I can't imagine *anyone* hating Rackie or the others affected - there are plenty of folks who have been very vocal about their hatred for FRA. I haven't got the knowledge personally to know what's possible and what's not in terms of bypassing forum security - but I do know that people with much greater knowledge than me have suggested that it may well have been intentional. No conspiracy theory - just a possibility based on advice we have been given. Anyway - it really doesn't matter, what matters is moving forward and creating a new and secure FR on a server where proper technical support comes as part of what we are paying for (we are currently relying entirely on good will), and we can all get back to enjoying the banter and the rats.

Surely in the admin CP you are able to see the actions of the admin team. That way you would be able to see who - if anyone deleted retrolemons and the others effected (you would also be able to see if they promoted someone else to an admin who may have done this). At least in vB you can and i assume that it's a basic thing and would be available on whatever kind of forum this is.

That way you would easily be able to establish who the liability is.
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

User avatar
tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:28 pm
Location: Tyneside
Contact:

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by tabirat » Sat May 28, 2011 8:37 am

The ACP does indeed record indivudual actions taking place via the ACP - but has no record of the event, Anthony.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

User avatar
Athena
Member
Member
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Re: Some forum parts are inaccessible

Post by Athena » Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 am

View new posts is now working for me :love:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest