An overview of the new forum

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
Fancy Rats Admin
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

An overview of the new forum

Post by Fancy Rats Admin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 am

Fancy Rats will shortly be moving into a new home which will be easier to maintain in the future, and a number of changes and new features will be incorporated into the new forum, as per the following overview.
  • We will be paying for hosting and maintenance on a new server, and the new forum will be an "off the shelf" design, making upgrades much easier and therefore the incidence of software related errors much lower.
  • The current FR forum will be frozen and kept accessible for reference only.
  • Members will need to re-register and all new registrations will be subject to approval, thus eliminating the current problem of bots.
  • Members may select a new user name so long as it has not been used on the previous FR, and must indicate their previous name within their signature for the first 3 months, a 5th line and an extra 50 characters will be allowed for this purpose only.
  • The new forum will incorporate the elements that were previously on the website (such as articles), so the structure will be changed slightly to allow for these and other new forums.
  • Breeders listed on the web directory will be allowed to freely discuss the availability of their litters, however other kittens/adult rescues/rehomes may only be advertised if they are on the rehoming boards and will be subject to the standard criteria as previously.
  • A new board will be introduced specifically to facilitate discussion of rescue related care issues.
  • Extra admin aides will be appointed to help the forum to run smoothly by spotting necessary actions more quickly, each section will be shared between several aides.
  • The swear filter will be reduced to allow for some phrases in common use, however any abusive use of these terms will still be in breach of forum rules on respect of others.
  • Members under the age of 16 will be shown as Junior Members, please consider their age when replying to their posts. There will be a general chat area for all members to use, but if any topics are not suitable for junior members, they should be posted in a new adult chat forum which junior members will not have access to. Junior members will also have their own dedicated chat area.
  • Members wishing to have a larger PM box may pay a small fee annually to do so.
  • All rat related businesses deemed to be used by a reasonable number of FR members will be entitled to advertise with a single forum banner header, for which there will be a small annual fee. This will be at the discretion of FRA and but there will be no endorsement of these businesses. Some banner space will be reserved for rat club/rescue/breeder use.
The move itself is still several weeks away, but we will give at least a week's notice of the changeover. Comments and suggestions relating to the new forum are still welcome, please post them to this thread or send a PM to Fancy Rats Admin.
Regards,
Fancy Rats Team

malude

Re: An overview of the new forum

Post by malude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am

Ooh I'm excited :D
I think the idea of highlighting if a member is 'junior' is a really good idea.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am

malude wrote:Ooh I'm excited :D

Me toooo!!
I love the idea of junior chat too (y)
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Golgotha_tramp

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:34 am

Looks really great,

some great new features and a big thank you as it shows that the Mods have really thought about the wants and requests of the masses! I am really excited to see the new forum and hope the next few weeks aren't too stressful! :luck:
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

Athena

Post by Athena » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 am

fantastic! :love:

big big love for a new rescue chat section, also that breeders will be more 'equal' iykwim. Loving the adult chat section too, I think this will make us closer as a community without excluding younger members :hearts:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 am

Great news on the PM's! How much money for how many extra messages?
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Not sure on those sorts of details yet.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

emily97

Post by emily97 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm

Looks great. :D
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 pm

It's really exciting! What colour is it going to be? :lol: Everyone's going to have the same joining date!
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Lol - not everyone... it will take some time to get through the new registrations, and strange as it may seem, not all members visit every day. :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

malude

Post by malude » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote: ... strange as it may seem, not all members visit every day. :wink:
That is most peculiar :o
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Ooh, very exciting.. It will be great because I keep getting errors recently when I go to access active posts and I'd imagine this is one of the reasons for the move (you're just too popular for this hosting service, time to move on to bigger and better things!!)

I really like the idea of the junior / adult distinction too. Just the other day I saw a young person ask a question on a forum that caused a huge offence to another, only as the OP was young their question was not intended with malice and the responder had thought it was an adult making a snide remark.. It caused a lot of harsh words to be exchanged and had it been apparent the OP was a young person it may have avoided all of those troubles.. It's a fantastic idea, kudos to you!

Best of luck with the move :D
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts:

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Eeee! :luck:
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:17 pm

malude wrote:
Cyber Ratty wrote: ... strange as it may seem, not all members visit every day. :wink:
That is most peculiar :o

:lol:
I hope this new forum doesn't coincide with my moving day! I might be off line for the big event :cry:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Eeeek

Junior idea is a fab one and also liking the idea of an adult chat area :)
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture