An overview of the new forum

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
siberiankiss

Re: An overview of the new forum

Post by siberiankiss » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 am

Also, what defines a 'breeder'. What would stop someone who is an unscrupulous BYB posting about their litters on the forum? I would hate to see the forum littered with posts from people like that.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 am

On occasion, I have seen rats in eg. sspca and if I put a link to their page, it will be deleted by the mods. That doesn't seem right somehow.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

toyah

Post by toyah » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Breeders listed on the web directory will be allowed to freely discuss the availability of their litters, however other kittens/adult rescues/rehomes may only be advertised if they are on the rehoming boards and will be subject to the standard criteria as previously.

Wht if we reword it to:

People with rats needing rehomed or rescue rats will be able to advertise on the rehoming boards. Breeders listed in the web directory will not be able to place posts as adverts, but will not be moderated for discussing kitten availability in threads.

I think the rationale is to make sure we don't end up with a whole host of posts begging for homes for rats people have purchased from pet stores (etc) as rescues - legitimate rescues can still advertise on the boards made available to them, but we won't have the constant streams of red text in kitten photos threads where people have accidentally discussed or hinted at rats being available / wanting to own particular kittens.
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:52 pm

I can understand there may be people out there who have litters and then will come here to try and advertise them. But, I still think a section is needed where people can post a link to say, a local rescue/shelter that presently has rats looking to be rehomed or even people looking to rescue. You could make it so that only forum members who have been here for say, 6 months are allowed to do this? But, maybe there is logic to the way you're doing it, I'm not sure.

So, basically, if I know my local rescue centre has rats looking for homes, FR will not allow me to let people know?
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:08 pm

MarieM wrote:I can understand there may be people out there who have litters and then will come here to try and advertise them. But, I still think a section is needed where people can post a link to say, a local rescue/shelter that presently has rats looking to be rehomed or even people looking to rescue. You could make it so that only forum members who have been here for say, 6 months are allowed to do this? But, maybe there is logic to the way you're doing it, I'm not sure.

So, basically, if I know my local rescue centre has rats looking for homes, FR will not allow me to let people know?
agreed -to be honest we are always being told that breeders kittens are in demand and therefore normally all booked anyway and if they are not then surely it's time to stop breeding more rats who end up needing homes -but it isn't always easy for someone new to know where to look for rescues that are genuine rescues in their area -it would be sad if this becomes a 'breeder' only forum
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm

tagalong wrote:agreed -to be honest we are always being told that breeders kittens are in demand and therefore normally all booked anyway and if they are not then surely it's time to stop breeding more rats who end up needing homes
In an ideal world, all would be reserved, however quite often people reserve kittens then buy some at the petshop, or go to another breeder, or simply just change their mind or their circumstances change.
Plus there is also the fact that you could have provisional homes for a litter of say...14 kittens, and then your doe goes and squeezes out 23 :roll: :lol:
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 pm

spoiled_rat wrote:
tagalong wrote:agreed -to be honest we are always being told that breeders kittens are in demand and therefore normally all booked anyway and if they are not then surely it's time to stop breeding more rats who end up needing homes
In an ideal world, all would be reserved, however quite often people reserve kittens then buy some at the petshop, or go to another breeder, or simply just change their mind or their circumstances change.
Plus there is also the fact that you could have provisional homes for a litter of say...14 kittens, and then your doe goes and squeezes out 23 :roll: :lol:
so regulate the numbers produced and ensure you will have a waiting list if your rats are desirable

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:25 pm

I do think fr needs to accomodate everyone which it isn't really doing at the moment. I think having a breeders area is a good idea, as at the moment I feel breeders are slightly pushed out. Plus there are people looking for kittens for various reasons and they dont want to always go for rescues. Rescues are always aloud to be advertised on here, and the people who are advertising their rats on sites like preloved can always be pointed over here.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm

How would you regulate the number produced? Yes you can limit the number of litters but short of culling you can't limit how many are in them and I think that's the last thing folk want around here.

I think maybe allowing people to post in the rats looking for rescuing section for the rescue could work, providing the rescue agrees.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm

You also can't predict how many of what sex are in each litter..

Sorry if said previously - only flicked through the replies quickly
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Jemma wrote:How would you regulate the number produced? Yes you can limit the number of litters but short of culling you can't limit how many are in them and I think that's the last thing folk want around here.

I think maybe allowing people to post in the rats looking for rescuing section for the rescue could work, providing the rescue agrees.
meant by regulating number of matings you do -not culling

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:35 pm

How would you suggest regulating then? I'm pretty sure you cant ask a doe to give you kittens to match your waiting list.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:44 pm

tagalong wrote:so regulate the numbers produced and ensure you will have a waiting list if your rats are desirable
tagalong wrote:meant by regulating number of matings you do -not culling
I don't think I have read anything this amazingly....impossible.....in a long time :lol:
cookielucylou wrote:How would you suggest regulating then? I'm pretty sure you cant ask a doe to give you kittens to match your waiting list.
Agree totally, how the heck can you regulate Mother Nature? :lol:

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:04 pm

tagalong wrote: I think maybe allowing people to post in the rats looking for rescuing section for the rescue could work, providing the rescue agrees.
meant by regulating number of matings you do -not culling[/quote]

What happens if you have 10 people wanting does, and the litter has only 2 does? Or, as someone said, what if you have 15 people who want kittens, and the doe has 20 or more? There are certain things you can't plan for! Mother rats don't take requests!
But, by my understanding, any good reputable breeder would keep any kittens that can't be homed, so its not like the 'surplus' are ending up clogging shelters.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Ziggy wrote:But, by my understanding, any good reputable breeder would keep any kittens that can't be homed, so its not like the 'surplus' are ending up clogging shelters.
Exactly.