An overview of the new forum

All announcements, suggestions and questions about the community forum.
Fancy Rats Admin
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: An overview of the new forum

Post by Fancy Rats Admin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Information about new Fancy Rats

All ongoing threads, resources, rehoming posts etc can be restarted/resubmitted on the new forum but no actual threads will be copied over. All rehoming requests/updates must be sent by PM to Fancy Rats Rehoming on the new board.

There will be an amnesty of all previous moderation except for permanent and long term bans (which will be considered case by case should people wish to email us).

The forum rules have been tweaked and the moderation system is entirely new - so please ensure that you familiarise yourself with these prior to posting. These are displayed in the Bulletins section of the new forum.

All under 16's should acknowledge this at the time of joining by ticking the relevant box - and they will be added to a junior members group which gives access to a special chat area (as well as access to general chat).

Other closed groups are rehoming (gives rights to post on the rehoming boards), adult chat and larger inbox (costs £5 per year and gives storage space for 400 pms - double the default). You will need to PM Fancy Rats Admin after joining to request to be added to these groups. PayPal email details will be advertised on the new forum in the Bulletins section.

We have decided that usernames may be reused by a new 'owner' if the account here has not been active for at least 6 months. They may not however be used if they have significance within the rat fancy even if they are not in use here. For instance, someone could not choose to register with the name of a current rattery or rescue organisation, or use a username that was generally assoicated with a particular individual.

The forum will be launched without banner advertising which will be a priority once the initial flurry of admin activity is over.

...and here's the original info re-posted to keep it all together:
  • We will be paying for hosting and maintenance on a new server, and the new forum will be an "off the shelf" design, making upgrades much easier and therefore the incidence of software related errors much lower.
  • The current FR forum will be frozen and kept accessible for reference only.
  • Members will need to re-register and all new registrations will be subject to approval, thus eliminating the current problem of bots.
  • Members may select a new user name so long as it has not been used on the previous FR, and must indicate their previous name within their signature for the first 3 months, a 5th line and an extra 50 characters will be allowed for this purpose only.
  • The new forum will incorporate the elements that were previously on the website (such as articles), so the structure will be changed slightly to allow for these and other new forums.
  • Breeders listed on the web directory will be allowed to freely discuss the availability of their litters, however other kittens/adult rescues/rehomes may only be advertised if they are on the rehoming boards and will be subject to the standard criteria as previously.
  • A new board will be introduced specifically to facilitate discussion of rescue related care issues.
  • Extra admin aides will be appointed to help the forum to run smoothly by spotting necessary actions more quickly, each section will be shared between several aides.
  • The swear filter will be reduced to allow for some phrases in common use, however any abusive use of these terms will still be in breach of forum rules on respect of others.
  • Members under the age of 16 will be shown as Junior Members, please consider their age when replying to their posts. There will be a general chat area for all members to use, but if any topics are not suitable for junior members, they should be posted in a new adult chat forum which junior members will not have access to. Junior members will also have their own dedicated chat area.
  • Members wishing to have a larger PM box may pay a small fee annually to do so.
  • All rat related businesses deemed to be used by a reasonable number of FR members will be entitled to advertise with a single forum banner header, for which there will be a small annual fee. This will be at the discretion of FRA and but there will be no endorsement of these businesses. Some banner space will be reserved for rat club/rescue/breeder use.
Regards,
Fancy Rats Team

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Fancy Rats Admin wrote:larger inbox (costs £5 per year and gives storage space for 400 pms - double the default).
Typo? Double the default would be space for 500 PMs.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Current inboxes are 50 x 4 - that's 200.

I assume you are thinking of the out going mail too?

ETA -- the settings for increasing PM storage for a group are very basic - and I suspect that the out boxes will be included in the increase (though we can't test this until we start using the system fully). So the full total of 'possible' PMs might well be 600 - though I can't imagine anyone ever reaching anything like 100 in an outbox, as PMs aren't generally held there for long.

Anyway - the number quoted refers to inbox storage as that's all I can be certain of. :-)
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:24 pm

tabirat wrote:Current inboxes are 50 x 4 - that's 200.
It is, but you're allowed up to 4 extra folders in addition to your standard inbox i.e. 250 :)
Unless of course Mary and I are special.....
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Will extra admin aides be appointed by the admin team, or can we indicate willingness to become an admin aide?
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:15 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
tabirat wrote:Current inboxes are 50 x 4 - that's 200.
It is, but you're allowed up to 4 extra folders in addition to your standard inbox i.e. 250 :)
Unless of course Mary and I are special.....
Well - not withstanding the fact that you and Mary :P I think I am just delusional. I had read it as 4 in boxes... but I don't think the preset saved messages are included, so yes - definitely 5 storage areas. :D

So the larger inbox peeps would have double that, yes. Thanks Beri.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:11 pm

So where is the new forum and when do we get a link to it or an address so that we can start the joining process before this forum closes?

Did I understand correctly, to use the new adult chat you have to pay a yearly fee?
Fancy Rats Admin wrote:Other closed groups are rehoming (gives rights to post on the rehoming boards), adult chat and larger inbox (costs £5 per year and gives storage space for 400 pms - double the default). You will need to PM Fancy Rats Admin after joining to request to be added to these groups. PayPal email details will be advertised on the new forum in the Bulletins section.
Out of my mind . . . . . . . back in 5 minutes!!

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow:

Rattitude!
Location: London...ish, England, UK, British Isles, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System

Post by Rattitude! » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:37 pm

majeekarevel wrote:So where is the new forum and when do we get a link to it or an address so that we can start the joining process before this forum closes?
I don't think it's open yet. Tabirat said that it'll probably be open within a few days :)
majeekarevel wrote:Did I understand correctly, to use the new adult chat you have to pay a yearly fee?
As I understand it, the fee is only for a larger inbox. Adult chat/ junior chat comes free depending on how old you are.
Four gorgeous girls that make my life complete:
Cookie and Cream ~ Netherland Dwarf Rabbits
Lucky and Priscilla ~ Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex Hybrid chickens.
Rats soon? Hopefully!

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 pm

I'll definitely be getting the expanded PM space, forever having to delete messages, and I'm far to lazy to actually copy-and-paste stuff :roll:
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

GreyWitch

Post by GreyWitch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 pm

majeekarevel wrote:Did I understand correctly, to use the new adult chat you have to pay a yearly fee?
Rattitude! wrote:As I understand it, the fee is only for a larger inbox. Adult chat/ junior chat comes free depending on how old you are.
Now, I'm really confused. Not that that takes a lot. :lol: I just assumed the fee was for the closed forums & the larger inbox.
Ah well, I'll figure it out eventually the important thing is: New. Forum. Soon! :hearts: Me excited? Never.
:love: Meep, Tails, Errol & Riddick.
:girly: Ruby & Carrot.
:rainbow: Mr Vimes, Squidge, Pippin, Narf, Ruby, Gizmo, Missy Alex, Weatherwax, Binky, Snitch, Nobby, Salem, Vimes, Carcer, Sirius.

Rattitude!
Location: London...ish, England, UK, British Isles, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System

Post by Rattitude! » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:57 pm

GreyWitch wrote:
Rattitude! wrote:As I understand it, the fee is only for a larger inbox. Adult chat/ junior chat comes free depending on how old you are.
Now, I'm really confused. Not that that takes a lot. :lol: I just assumed the fee was for the closed forums & the larger inbox.
Ah well, I'll figure it out eventually the important thing is: New. Forum. Soon! :hearts: Me excited? Never.
Both the chat forums (Junior/Adult) are both closed. Juniors can't see the adult one at all (until they reach 16) and adults can't see the junior one. At least, I think :S Otherwise, couldn't Juniors just pay to read the adult forum, which makes the whole junior/ adult thing pointless...

You pay for the expanded inbox, not the adult forum. That comes free unless you're under 16.

At least I think so. I don't know. I'm probably wrong :lol: I've confused myself now!
Four gorgeous girls that make my life complete:
Cookie and Cream ~ Netherland Dwarf Rabbits
Lucky and Priscilla ~ Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex Hybrid chickens.
Rats soon? Hopefully!

GreyWitch

Post by GreyWitch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Rattitude! wrote:
GreyWitch wrote:
Both the chat forums (Junior/Adult) are both closed. Juniors can't see the adult one at all (until they reach 16) and adults can't see the junior one. At least, I think :S Otherwise, couldn't Juniors just pay to read the adult forum, which makes the whole junior/ adult thing pointless...

You pay for the expanded inbox, not the adult forum. That comes free unless you're under 16.

At least I think so. I don't know. I'm probably wrong :lol: I've confused myself now!
Yeah I was thinking the fee covered the adult or youth board depending on your age, rehoming boards & bigger inbox. But I am very often wrong, I'm known for it in fact. :D
:love: Meep, Tails, Errol & Riddick.
:girly: Ruby & Carrot.
:rainbow: Mr Vimes, Squidge, Pippin, Narf, Ruby, Gizmo, Missy Alex, Weatherwax, Binky, Snitch, Nobby, Salem, Vimes, Carcer, Sirius.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:29 am

majeekarevel wrote:So where is the new forum and when do we get a link to it or an address so that we can start the joining process before this forum closes?
The forum address will be given out once it's ready for members to join - there will be an overlap to allow members time to register on the new one before this one gets locked.
Fancy Rats Admin wrote:Other closed groups are rehoming (gives rights to post on the rehoming boards), adult chat and larger inbox (costs £5 per year and gives storage space for 400 pms - double the default). You will need to PM Fancy Rats Admin after joining to request to be added to these groups. PayPal email details will be advertised on the new forum in the Bulletins section.
No charge for adult chat, to make it clearer:
Fancy Rats Admin wrote:Other closed groups are:
- rehoming (gives rights to post on the rehoming boards)
- adult chat
- larger inbox (costs £5 per year[/b] and gives storage space for 400 pms - double the default)
You will need to PM Fancy Rats Admin after joining to request to be added to these groups. PayPal email details will be advertised on the new forum in the Bulletins section.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:43 am

Blossomgirl wrote:Will extra admin aides be appointed by the admin team, or can we indicate willingness to become an admin aide?
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 am

Blossomgirl wrote:
Blossomgirl wrote:Will extra admin aides be appointed by the admin team, or can we indicate willingness to become an admin aide?
Sorry, forgot to reply - this is all in hand, and I think there are sufficient aides now. :D
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)