Nasty Deep Cut - Advice?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
BunnyWestley

Nasty Deep Cut - Advice?

Post by BunnyWestley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi all,

I've just been moving house and my boys have been staying with the in-laws while we got everything sorted.

We got them back yesterday and my OHs Dad mentioned one had a cut on his leg. I said I'd have a look when we got them home as they were sleeping and going to be moved shortly but told him they often have little cuts and scratches through fighting and its nothing to worry about ect.

I checked them all over once I'd got them home and poor Snoop does indeed have a cut on his leg. Although I'd more describe it as a BIG open gash!! It hurts me to look at it!

Its on the top half of his front leg and you can see right down to the muscle! I washed it out and dabbed some savlon spray on it with some cotton wool and he's in the small spare cage by himself at the moment.

Initially I was nearly in tears and having a panic thinking VETS NOW!! but after giving him some cuddles and watching him for a bit, its not bothering him in the slightest. He's not limping or anything, he's eating and drinking and seems his normal self.

Its clean, no blood, not oozing, not red or anything.

A friend's ratty had a similarly deep cut and the vets said they couldn't really do anything and to keep an eye out for infection and keep it clean.

I don't want to upset him taking him to the vets if they're not going to do anything for him as he doesn't seem bothered by it, but it just looks so open and horrific to me!! :cry:

I'll try and get some photos tonight if that would help, but I've no internet at home as yet so won't be able to post them til tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice you can give...I just want to put a big plaster on him and make him all better! :cry:

PurpleCatti

Re: Nasty Deep Cut - Advice?

Post by PurpleCatti » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:14 pm

Ratties heal so fast chances are in a weeks time you won't be able to tell where the cut was!
As the cut is clean with no signs of swelling or oozing I would give it a quick wash out with salt water and leave it. It should scab in a day or so and once it's scabbed it will take a short time to heal over. Just make sure no bedding gets in there before it scabs.
If he's clearly not bothered by it I would say save your 'vet fund money' for a later date! If he was limping and hampered by it you could have asked for metacam as a pain reliever.
RIP Manolo, Blahnik, Jimmy, Choo, Sir Bartimus Bumsnake, Harpers, Queen, Oscar, Della, Renta and the rt hon Oscar II.

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Since the first time I ever found a scratch on any of them and got all worried then it healed in about a day or 2, I've not been prone to much panic about them getting little hurts, just kept an eye on it. This did scare me though!

I'm always happy to get animals to the vets if they need to go, and my vet fund isn't too bad at the moment as got a couple of bonuses at work and decided to put them by, partly as my kitten will need jabs/spaying ect, but I resent going to the vets and them saying they can't do anything and having to fork out a big wad of cash for naff all! :roll:

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

Snoop is still on his own.

It doesn't seem to be closing up at all. Its been much the same all week, although this morning it looked sort of like it was drying out? Perhaps scabbing over?

How does an open wound usually heal?

He still seems OK in himself, he's lonely obviously but very pleased to see me when I go to see him!

PurpleCatti

Post by PurpleCatti » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 am

As long as the wound doesn't look oozy, swollen or reddened on the surrounding skin it is probably still healing. He also may be grooming it! If he seems otherwise happy I would still be inclined to leave it but keep a close eye that none of his cagemates are 'bothering' it.

If you're at all worried pop to the vets, they may say he'll be fine or prescribe some antibiotics just to stop any infection getting in there whilst it heals as a precaution.

I know how worrying it is, one of my oast rats Jim greeted me one evening with a. inch long deep cut that went right through the skin and I could see her shoulder muscle! She was VERY careful about grooming and scratching that area for a couple of weeks but once it scabbed it all but dissappeared.
RIP Manolo, Blahnik, Jimmy, Choo, Sir Bartimus Bumsnake, Harpers, Queen, Oscar, Della, Renta and the rt hon Oscar II.

WOLF

Post by WOLF » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 pm

my girl tullah had what sound like thesame place down to the muscel i just bathed it with salt water n it was healed in about a week and a half shes fine now couple of months on :)

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm

We've put him in the spare cage as he did look a bit scabby elsewhere so think he'd been being picked on a bit (he's not usually).

It doesn't bother him and its not red or oozy or anything, I've been savlon spraying it to keep it clean, it just looks horrific. I've had a few pokes about around it and that doesn't bother him.

OH was threatening to superglue it shut last night :roll: