Absolutely devastated - have to let Soot go tomorrow

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Soot

Absolutely devastated - have to let Soot go tomorrow

Post by Soot » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 pm

Finding this hard to type, but it makes it real.

My darling Soot, my favourite rat of all ....

Her tumour has ulcerated very suddenly in three places. I don't think the vet will be pulling out any miracles. Going to call first thing in the morning - I'd rather let her go now, bright active and without pain.

Completely heartbroken - makes me feel guilty for not caring this much when the others died :(.
~~~~
Anna
< : 3 )~~~ Squeak from Munchkin, Splodge, Dusk, Treacle, Chubacabra, Birilium & Lithium
:hearts:
RIP Kira, Lexi, Bina, Holly, Tak, Ruffles, Ghost, Soot, Millie, Athos, Fat Leo, Clam, Fig & Mouse.

notpoodle

Re: Absolutely devastated - have to let Soot go tomorrow

Post by notpoodle » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:50 pm

im sorry to hear that :( hope you're okay. sometimes it is kindest to let them go before they are in pain and suffering (my old guinea pig went that way).

Julia
x
:dumbo: Murphy, Alfie :dumbo:
:smileyrat: Oliver, Jake :smileyrat:
:baby: Buster, Elwood :baby:
:rainbow: Hubert, Basil, Monty, Ian Beale :rainbow:

jax5775

Post by jax5775 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm

So sorry to hear about Soot.
Apollo 11/2/09 :rainbow: Starbuck 22/8/09 :rainbow:
Boomer :girly: Athena :girly: Hera :girly:

helensy

Post by helensy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:43 am

Oh poor you and poor Soot :cry:

Best wishes for today, and a safe trip to the bridge for Soot, her friends are waiting for her now and her body is tired :love: :girly:
:love: Static, Nymph & Indy :love:
:rainbow: Storm, Kami, Ginny, Arian, Melfed, Saki, Snoffles, Mirage, Oasis, Hope , Pandora, Hex, Anie, Pheebs :rainbow: Together Again xx

Soot

Post by Soot » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:16 am

I hate it when the body goes before the mind - it's like they seem to be gone but they're not and they never will be. Things can only get worse.

Anyway have booked her in for tomorrow morning so that gives me a last day to spoil her rotten. It was the first availability with my favourite vet. And there's no way I'm letting an unknown vet euthanise my Soot.
~~~~
Anna
< : 3 )~~~ Squeak from Munchkin, Splodge, Dusk, Treacle, Chubacabra, Birilium & Lithium
:hearts:
RIP Kira, Lexi, Bina, Holly, Tak, Ruffles, Ghost, Soot, Millie, Athos, Fat Leo, Clam, Fig & Mouse.

warheart

Post by warheart » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 am

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to let your little sweetheart go :(.

It is, as you say, unfair when the body goes yet the mind is still 100%. Recently I lost my 'favourite' rat, Yukon. He was my tiny little guy, but he had the biggest heart. There was something about him that I loved more than anything - and the worst part is, we only took him to be castrated and I thought he would be back with us all the very next day, but he didn't recover from the anaesthetic.

I think you're doing the right thing to let your little one go while she isn't in pain, though I know it must be so hard.

Sending hugs and best wishes,

Sarah.
Sarah -- currently ratless.
Yukon, Kai, William, Ivan, Edward, Henry & Rupert :rainbow: - always in my heart.

Maker of the revolutionary Rackie hammock - did you ever get yours? Please PM me.

fiverats

Post by fiverats » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am

So, so sorry..know how you feel! :cry:
Rory,Poppy,Jack-Bear,Badger,Ember,Autumn

:rainbow: Biggy,Tempest,Electra,Rupert,Delphina,Blues,Jazz,Lola,Ruby,Rosie,Shadow,Star,Blue,Willow,Titch,Pagan,Sylva,Lilly,
Alorah,Lucy,Raven, Dysis,Brenna,Alanah,Bracken,Bramble,Katy,Kelowna,Willow, :rainbow:

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 pm

I am so sorry Anna, give Soot a scritch goodbye for me. :(

Enjoy your day with her.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

Victoria80

Post by Victoria80 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:03 pm

Its so hard but in your heart of hearts you must know you are doing to right thing....anything that minimises the chances of distress or pain for Soot must surely be best.
I had White-Butt pts when her tumour ulcerated and very quickly appeared infected, but she was still happy and bouncy. As I said to my fav rattie vet through fits of sobs, there was no way I was having her suffer, or be picked on by the newbies, and as I couldn't be sure when that would happen, it was best to let her go. Best, but not easy.
My thoughts are with you and Soot.
Victoria+Poppy+Dotty+Reubens and Sebastian
White-Butt, Red-Eyes, Stripe, Stumpy, Dumbo, Piccolo, Pink, Valerie, Geti and Solstice; all playing hard at the bridge.

fuzzyfeet

Post by fuzzyfeet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 pm

So very sorry but know how you feel :cry:

I had to let Kobi go a week ago,she was still running around,grooming her family,filling her face etc but her health problems ment that she would have suffered a massive bleed if i hadnt let her go when i did. It seemed so very wrong to let her go whilst she was still so bright but im glad i did now. I would have hated to come down one moring and find her collasped or worse. Kobi died eating a huge cookie and was PTS by my best friend which made it easier i guess.
I had her cremated and have her ashes but miss her dreadfully.

My thoughts are with you.

Karen x

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:28 pm

So sorry to hear about Soot, she will he forever healthy and young. My thoughts are with you. x
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Heartbroken for you :cry:

sending all my love xxxxxxx

special gentle huggles and scritches for Soot xx
Love, Kt.
All my ratties live on forever in my heart, forever loved. xxx
North of England rat society

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:25 pm

im so sorry to hear about soot. i will be thinking of you
x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

TinaR

Post by TinaR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 am

:cry: ((hugs))
You have my empathy. I had to make the decision for Bertie on Monday, which was hard as mentally he seemed so bright...but following the post mortem yesterday the vet said it was the right decision. I in no way wanted to drag it out for him and make him get to the point where he was suffering any more than he was.

It is agonizing, and I spent all day crying before the appointment. I tried to make it a nice day...had a final free-range with them all together...tried to let him eat treats...(he didn't want them tho!) and told him how much I loved him and was grateful for having had him in my life....and cried again...and again...!

I feel for you so much having to go through this. If only it didn't hurt so much eh?!

(((more hugs!))) :cry: :love:

Angel Rats

Post by Angel Rats » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:58 am

I am so sorry to hear your sad news :cry: I am sending you and beautiful Soot lots of love and healing hugs. Sending you both Angels to help and support you :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Lots of love Diane :hearts:

Sorry TinaR to read your sad news sending you my love and a big healing hugs :hearts:
Diane x