Eek - HELP! Hammond's teeth - or lack of!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Eek - HELP! Hammond's teeth - or lack of!

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Sorry if this comes across as barbled - but i am worried and typing in a rush to get it all down in case someone can offer help/advice

Hammond - my darling little agouti man - aka Mr no tail - has had problems with his teeth for a little while, it is something i or my friends have never seen anything quite like before! It's in no way your 'normal' rattie teeth problem!

To describe it briefly - his front teeth seem almost 'bucked' - ( I would almost describe him as being overshot ) they also have a gap between them where food lodges and can only be taken out my myself physically removing it with a small thin object ( as though i am using a tooth pick if you get my drift, it seems to lodge and sometimes stick up towards the roof of his mouth too, so I have to be on the case many times a day ) it was this that first drew me to the attention of the problem a few weeks ago - Other than always looking 'bucked toothed' he'd not had this problem before - The bottom front teeth seemed to grow at an angle as did the front - where by the only part connecting with the top/bottom front teeth were the top inside and the bottom outside ( if I am making sense here ) so the front grew to a point where it would seem they were not quite meeting to grind down and the bottom teeth the same but towards the back - going into the mouth.

I trimmed the front teeth and - I do not know how - but this seemed to sort the situation - then the bottom became straight again and so long as I kept on with the top the bottom were fine ( so i have not trimmed the bottom)

I have had rats before who have needed teeth trimming in the past and once I was shown and if the rat is co operative I have been able to trim myself, Hammond being one of them.

Well anyway - I have just gone to check him now before i go to bed and to my horror i noticed his 2 bottom teeth had gone - his wee tongue just stuck out... No teeth!

I looked more closely and there at the bottom are just 2 small stumpy bits of teeth - his top 2 intact and the same as they had been.

So does anyone have any ideas - what on earth has happened to my wee fella :? Will he be OK - could it be a gum disease or something? That said gums look fine to me - but with the problem with his top teeth splaying as they have i do wonder - or could it be this and the way they grind their teeth together the reason the bottom 2 have broken right off?

I have been toying for the last couple of weeks if I should have his teeth all removed ... I very nearly posted tonight and asked about any people who have had experience of tooth removal in rats before, but I didn't as I was tired and wanted to go to bed! Now I am up with this huge worry.

Hammond is not young, neither is he I would say in the greatest of health - he is showing his age, he has sadly had to have many GA's due to the abscesses he gets - most track back internally and need to be opened up and flushed ( most of his don't come to a head and burst) His last Op ( in May ) he wqs really not so grand after - it was very bad and we did fear the lymph glands were effected - but in true Hammond spirit he fought and he's still with me today ... only now this!

I am just not sure what my best option is now - do i see if my vet can remove all his teeth - could the bottom 2 grow again? do i just keep trimming the top 2?

any advice or even a cyber hug for my special wee fella would be gratefully received.

Cheers all

Kt and Hammond xxxxxxxx
Love, Kt.
All my ratties live on forever in my heart, forever loved. xxx
North of England rat society

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Eek - HELP! Hammond's teeth - or lack of!

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm

also - I do understand that the pressure and angle when trimming can cause the teeth to shatter, and that you have to be particularly careful - but this is not the case - the bottom teeth have not been touched! - so i don't understand it ! :-?
Love, Kt.

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Kt'sCritters! wrote:if I should have his teeth all removed ...

* note - obviously NOT 'all' - I just mean is 2 front and bottom teeth!*

I also understand having nothing at all now to grind his top teeth on i will have to be even more aware of how his top two front teeth are growing and keep trimmed
Love, Kt.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Don't panic :wink:

His teeth should grow back.

I have had a buck-toothed rat ... Quiver ... she had an 'undershot' lower jaw, but she also had a fairly severe brain deformity, so I don't doubt that her problem was linked to this.

However, on my travels, I did discover that an under-sized lower jaw in rats can be the result of the mother not receiving enough Vitamin E during pregnancy ... this could explain Hammond's issue.

The new issue ... my instinct says he has a kidney problem ... they cause weakening/instability of the lower incisors leading to malocclusion/breakage, plus the many GA's too, and him being kinda bad after the last op ... I'd check his kidney function.

Some of the antibiotics he has received (assuming he has had some for the abscesses) may have also contributed to the tooth weakening.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 pm

I just knew you'd come up with something :wink: Thank you xxx

Not sure how much you know/remember of the huge agouti rescue - but I also had another lad from that rescue - Smiler - sadly I lost him recently - he had a PM and he had Liver cancer... it was massive, not at all nice... I am amazed he stayed with me as long as he did, he too had his fair share of ga's... the PM also showed his lungs were tiny - as in teeeny tiny!

I was just wondering if maybe there was some health reason for Hammond's teeth becoming more brittle - i have to say his teeth have been by far the easiest to clip - so i know I am not putting much pressure on the jaw.

Not sure if you have seen any pic's of Hammond, but he does not have a rat like face at all - very hamster'ish and very stubby turned up little nose - I do wonder if his shape has played it's part.... looking at him I am unsure if he'd be considered over or undershot to be honest - I'll look again tomorrow when i am more awake.

I have calmed down quite a bit now - he's happily tucking into cous cous and nature diet and wondering what on earth all the fuss is about!

The joys of rattie love eh!
Love, Kt.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:15 am

Kt'sCritters! wrote:I have calmed down quite a bit now - he's happily tucking into cous cous and nature diet and wondering what on earth all the fuss is about!

:D I'm sure he'll be fine, it's obviously bothered you more :lol:

I don't know a great deal about the agouti rescue - did hear about it, but haven't followed any progress. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing a piccy of Hammond either.

I think you might seeing something genetic going on after you mentioning those other problems though. I have been reading a fair bit about 'midline defects' recently and the genes that cause them. The problems that are seen in rats with these defects include skull deformities, brain deformities, heart/lung deformities, spinal deformities, hip deformities, liver/kidney diseases, ovary/testicular deformities. There generally seems to be a large variation in the problems caused by these genes due to the interactions of other genes with them, so littermates can have every problem in their most serious forms, to virtually nothing at all and everything in between.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks Vic - I do feel genetics are playing a big part in this ...

Having to keep his moist/easy to eat food up and take care of his intake and that it's not going down.

Obviously I will do whatever I can for him, so for now take a day at a time and see how things go - he certainly doesn't appear to be having any problems.. I just keep an extra close eye on my little fella. Poor wee fella - he has certainly been through it all and more in his life - bless him! :hearts:

thanks again for your input... :girly: will be in touch

Kt xx
Love, Kt.