bleeding after birth

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
nette

bleeding after birth

Post by nette » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:48 am

devon gave birth to 6 babies on friday 1 baby died but 5 healthy ones remain , today i noticed blood in the nest so i checked her and she had some dried blood on her vagina , is this normal or should i be worried ? she isnt stressed or anything and is acting completly normal.
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats

vegan_bexx

Re: bleeding after birth

Post by vegan_bexx » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:15 pm

sorry cant help,. but i thought i'd bump it up. :)

hope you sort it, :smileyrat:
the boys - Herbert, Morgan and Horatio.
at the bridge - Harry, Makk, Kai, Frank, William, Flynn, George, Rubin, Jasper, Bamber, Maynard.
always remembered, Montego, Milo, Piper and Leo.

Don't come on much now, as no net access at home :)

luvboyrats

Post by luvboyrats » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I do a little breeding from time to time. Basically a small amount of spotting for a day or two after the litter is perfectly normal. It should stop completely after a couple of days and there should never be a lot. I would say during delivering and immediately after you should have 10-12 nickle sized spots. If you change the nesting out immediately after birth your number of spots should decrease to half after the first day and then go away completely after two or three days. Hope that helps.

Boodles

Post by Boodles » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Hi Nette,

As it was dried I shouldn't worry. I'd personal wipe off the dried blood when she's happy to come away from the nest for food, rest etc. and then keep an eye on her. If you notice any fresh blood I would take her to the vets to be sure.

Good luck :luck:
Becky

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:30 pm

this would probably have got better response in breeding & varieties.
Any bleeding much after birthing is something to be concerned about. Within a matter of hours of birthing any signs of discharge from the uterus should have stopped and the doe usually cleans herself up well. With bleeding happening a few days after the birthing, i'd consider the factor that she may still have dead kittens inside her so putting her on a 'kitten safe' antibiotic like synulox would be the best course of action.

Boodles

Post by Boodles » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Sorry I skim read and didn't see that this happened on Friday, as Estelle said take her to the vet for some abs. Sorry if I mislead you :oops:
Becky

nette

Post by nette » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:57 pm

she has been clear now and she seams ok but i will still take her to the vets . do i take the kittens with her??
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 am

if i have to take a doe with babies to the vet i usually take them in their nursery cage together, particularly when they are that young. If the cage is too big to carry, then i'd move the igloo complete with babies and nest into a smaller cage for the trip.