URGENT HELP! Hind Leg Degeneration??

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
BunnyWestley

URGENT HELP! Hind Leg Degeneration??

Post by BunnyWestley » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I cleaned the boys out this morning and they were all fine, at least, I didn't notice anything wrong with any of them.

OH has just walk past the cage and Jesus was lying outside one of the houses. At first he though he'd passed on but on closer inspection he is still with us but doesn't have use of his back legs! He's just dragging himself around!! But I swear he was fine this morning!!! And the other day he was running about as I was giving them some ends of some bread.

I'm thinking vets but we've NO money until OH gets paid...we had vet funds but spent them recently and what with Xmas and everything, haven't got them back up again!

I don't know what to do!!

OH has got him out at the moment...does he need to go into a hospital cage by himself? I might be able to get some money scraped together (beg borrow or steal!) for tomorrow to take him to the vet. What can I do to make him more comfortable?

Please help!!!!!

Ginny

Re: URGENT HELP! Hind Leg Degeneration??

Post by Ginny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi,

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, just hope you get on ok if you get to the vets tomorrow. I found my lad is having back leg problems since yesterday, so have similar concerns. Will keep my eye on your post.

:luck: :love:
Neptune :rainbow: Lily :rainbow: Skye :rainbow: Venus :rainbow:

eordam

Post by eordam » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi all
i have noticed the same problem with my rat(ted)
he has been dragging his back legs around for about 1week,his legs work but when he goes to scratch himself his feet dont seem to do the job.
Ted is about 2 1/2 years old,Ive had to put food/water down to ground level so he can reach he has no problem eating and drinking,wee's and poo's normally and is quite happy if you touch his back feet with no problems.
he has no sores and apart from dragging his back legs around he seems quite happy
i will keep a eye on your post to see if its worth taking him to the vets.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 pm

HLD doesn't come on so quickly, the chances are that he's had some kind of accident and he has a big bruise and a lot of swelling, and that's why his legs don't work.

Some types of tumour can cause 'instant' paralysis, but these are much more rare, and an accident/bruising/swelling as a cause is far more likely.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Rasboozy

Post by Rasboozy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Ratgirl@RatRitz-

So what do you think eordam should do with Ted? whats the best course of action to take with Ted? :o

debzzybub

Post by debzzybub » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:05 pm

we had our 2 year old ratty joey at the vets earlier today, for a couple of days he doesnt seem to be using his legs, almost dragging them at some point and sometimes tripping over his own feet. Vet thinks he has an injury to his spine, she gave him a steroid injection so we just have to wait and see. Him and his brother were in a large cage with lots of shelves and hammocks etc, we think he may have took a tumble and hurt himself in there. Maybe thats the case wioth your ratty??? fingers crossed you get some cash together to get him to a vet.

scabbers

Post by scabbers » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:41 am

all I can add is that Red was the same almost 2 weeks ago and he was pretty bad.He went to the vet and had a steroid injection which made him walk again after a few hours then when it wore off I was really worried but I fed him baby food and made sure he was kept clean and fed and after a week he has pulled through.If it was a fall the swelling has subsided and if it was a stroke he is getting better.Sorry cant be of more help but the vets is the place to go.It cost me only £16 for consultation and steroid injection.
Never forgotten and always in my heart-Red,Feargal,Menace Midge,Blaze,Bob and Woody.Weasel,Roy,Vinnie,Poppy,Bell,Buffy and Dee Dee.Also Iggy and Lenny who i was mummy to for a while.xxxxxxxxxxx

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:09 pm

We took Jesus to the vets first thing this morning.

Vet looked him over and he had a large mass in his tummy, possibly it was his spleen, with perhaps was cutting off the blood supply to his back end. This would explain why he deteriorated so suddenly as the body adapts and adapts until it can't any more.

Sadly the vet said that the kindest option would be to have him PTS.

Rest in peace little Jesus :halo:

scabbers

Post by scabbers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:51 pm

So sorry to read this.Rest In Peace Little Jesus. :halo: :love: :hearts:
Never forgotten and always in my heart-Red,Feargal,Menace Midge,Blaze,Bob and Woody.Weasel,Roy,Vinnie,Poppy,Bell,Buffy and Dee Dee.Also Iggy and Lenny who i was mummy to for a while.xxxxxxxxxxx