vets in plymouth, devon

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
choicestgirl

vets in plymouth, devon

Post by choicestgirl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm

looking for a vets which has experience in ratties. preferably a vets that you know have performed successful castration
any recommendations? going to have a ring around anyway but thought it's worth asking! (and Stace suggested i did :P :) thanks)

thanks
alan, aimsworth and their children; wipeel, jonas, rat, manny, dotty and speedy. and hagrid the hamster too :)

fuschia

Re: vets in plymouth, devon

Post by fuschia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Oh no, I was going to say the vets on Lipson Road opp Freedom Fields Park, but then I finished reading your post... The only rat I ever had castrated there died during the op :cry:
However it was likely just bad luck as I had lots of girls over many years survive tumour removals at that vets.
Apart from the PDSA that don't do that sort of thing, the only other few Plymouth vets I can remember were rubbish. Hope someone else has some more up to date recommendations :luck:
I think NickyE might have some good advice on vets :D
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Jird

Post by Jird » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm

NickyE recommended Woodlands at Manadon Roundabout to me when I asked a while ago. (: Apparently they're really good, but as I haven't used them myself Nicky will obviously be able to advise you much better than me. I usually go to the vet centre on Lipson road as it's quite easy to get to, but for something serious like a castration Woodlands would be the practice I'd contact. Lipson are fine for routine stuff, but as the vet I saw didn't prescribe the right dose of baytril or doxy when the boys had a respiratory infection, I'm not sure how rat savvy they are, and I wouldn't be happy using them for something like surgery.
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

windspirit

Post by windspirit » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 am

All my rats go to woodlands and they are really good, i've has rats operated on at over 3 years old by a great vet there called Viv who is wonderful, Infact most of the vets there are great!
www.windspiritbeauty.co.uk

Eyelash Extensions, Indian Head Massage, Body Detox, Thai Foot Massage, Ear Candling in Plymouth

Lynda

Post by Lynda » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:01 pm

I agree - for something like castration I would be inclined to go to either Woodlands, or the Veterinary Hospital at Estover. We are registered with Woolwell Pet and Veterinary Centre out at Roborough and they have been good with our rats when they have had resp problems, but I have no idea what they would be like at castrations.
Lynda, with her boys the Park Babies Mink de Ville, DJ, Baby and Lightning. Sparky the syrian hammy. Rosie theTarantula. And the Tropical Fishies. Not forgetting Hellstorm Cloud. Forever in my heart, my beautiful boy xx

Geoff

Post by Geoff » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:14 pm

When Lynda and I kept ferrets we used to go to woodlands, they we're brilliant. Never used them for rats but I would imagine that they take the same care and attention.

choicestgirl

Post by choicestgirl » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:10 am

thanks everyone surprised to get so many responses! aha.
as i thought woodlands will be best! went there recently to have girly wepeel checked and hagrid the hamster too. they were so good, thorough examination, medication at a good price :) i will take jonas to get him checked over health wise and see where we go from there! thanks!
alan, aimsworth and their children; wipeel, jonas, rat, manny, dotty and speedy. and hagrid the hamster too :)

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Only just seen this, but I definitely agree. All the vets are lovely and the receptionists too. And the nurses but I haven't seen many of them.
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

choicestgirl

Post by choicestgirl » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:57 pm

went there in the end, jonas has been castrated! came through it will so far, touch wood ! :) thanks for the suggestions everyone.