Baytril price

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
MistressSadako

Re: Baytril price

Post by MistressSadako » Wed May 20, 2009 6:04 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:wow am thinking i'm being don by my vet, i recently paid £20 for 2.5ml of baytril at my vet next time i have to go get some i think i will ask for a prescription and get it online

Firstly - yes, you're being had i think :o (I pay £5odd for 10mL)

Secondly - why would the vet give you such a small amount? Surely that's not even worth it, would only be about 3 days treatment unless they're one of these vets who prescibe about 0.1mL once a day...
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

lilladysez

Post by lilladysez » Wed May 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Ok from my receipt

40x Baytril 2.5% 100ml = £12.61 including VAT

which I think means I got 40 doses of baytril, therefore 100ml is £12.61
Proud mum to Smirnoff Texas, Eleven and Minny. HKM Sausage, India, Zulu, Sierra, Delta and Tango. Tilly and Bitzy. Missing those who have left like crazy.

I'm a Dark Wednesday survivor!!

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed May 20, 2009 6:56 pm

MistressSadako wrote:
ScattieMcRattie wrote:wow am thinking i'm being don by my vet, i recently paid £20 for 2.5ml of baytril at my vet next time i have to go get some i think i will ask for a prescription and get it online

Firstly - yes, you're being had i think :o (I pay £5odd for 10mL)

Secondly - why would the vet give you such a small amount? Surely that's not even worth it, would only be about 3 days treatment unless they're one of these vets who prescibe about 0.1mL once a day...

yep he is one of those vets,0.1ml once a day for my four rats. that amount lasted about 6 days. and i paid that three times over for a longer course as it wasnt shifting. he didnt think it was neccesary to up the dose or add other meds etc when i suggested it so they stayed on that v low dose for just short of three weeks.

yesterday i saw what looked like a big blood bubble on the side of Sham's nose and found no visible injuries on any of them so i guess it was a whole lot of porphryn. but today there is a lot of sneezing going on so my guess now is not only did my vet shaft me on the price, he also drastically underdosed them and the infection is not cleared up prop and has prob left lasting damage. not a happy bunny. i even called another vet local vet and asked for a second opinion and was told the dose was perfectly fine and that 2.5ml twice a day would be a drastic overdose.??? so i stuck with the dose i was given.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

lilladysez

Post by lilladysez » Wed May 20, 2009 7:03 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:that 2.5ml twice a day would be a drastic overdose.???

2.5ml is about ten times the recommended dose did you mean 0.25ml? My girls are on 0.4ml a day to clear up the fluid in their lungs which my vet was happy to prescribe. It's normally 0.1ml per 100g of rat is the real math (or 1ml per kg)
Proud mum to Smirnoff Texas, Eleven and Minny. HKM Sausage, India, Zulu, Sierra, Delta and Tango. Tilly and Bitzy. Missing those who have left like crazy.

I'm a Dark Wednesday survivor!!

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 pm

lilladysez wrote:
ScattieMcRattie wrote:that 2.5ml twice a day would be a drastic overdose.???

2.5ml is about ten times the recommended dose did you mean 0.25ml? My girls are on 0.4ml a day to clear up the fluid in their lungs which my vet was happy to prescribe. It's normally 0.1ml per 100g of rat is the real math (or 1ml per kg)

heeeheee yeah that is what i meant 0.25ml....perhaps i made that mistake with the other vet? am stupid heather :oops:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Thu May 21, 2009 5:27 am

lilladysez wrote:Ok from my receipt

40x Baytril 2.5% 100ml = £12.61 including VAT

which I think means I got 40 doses of baytril, therefore 100ml is £12.61

I think the 40x is the number of mLs you've been given, mine always says 10x and i know that i get 10mLs, not 10 doses. I think the 100mL is because that's what it came out of. It's 40mLs from baytril 2.5% 100mL.

ScattieMcRattie wrote:
heeeheee yeah that is what i meant 0.25ml....perhaps i made that mistake with the other vet? am stupid heather :oops:

I'd say 0.25mL twice a day is a decent dose, but if you said 2.5mL you might have scared the vet :lol:
And no wonder 0.1mL once a day wasn't working, you might as well not have given it at all :roll: :(
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

£5.19 for 5mls

prescribed at 0.1ml a day but I've upped it and I'm giving them 0.2mls, split into morning and night-time doses (they are skinny little girls 240 - 270g)

twilight123

Post by twilight123 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:23 pm

i've just payed 3.74 for 3mls of baytrill and her dose is only 0.1 twice a day :angry: she needs more than that but with such a small amount of baytrill ive got no room for error or mistake when giving them to her as i wouldn't have enough to finish the course of 2 weeks! she weighs 350grams so surely she should be gettin at least 0.3 a day?
Rest in peace renee, make sure you wait for me at the bridge :girly:

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:23 pm

my vet sold me a 100ml bottle for £13.50
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

katievonlou

Post by katievonlou » Thu May 21, 2009 12:39 pm

i get mine free :oops:
katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Thu May 21, 2009 8:50 pm

lilladysez wrote: It's normally 0.1ml per 100g of rat is the real math (or 1ml per kg)
by that calculation my ratties should have been on approx 0.3ml each. hmmm perhaps i should consider a different vet in the future.
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm

its 0.1 ml per 100g per day, but usually split into two doses - so yours would be 0.15ml per rat twice a day ScattieMcRattie.
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 pm

snaisby wrote:its 0.1 ml per 100g per day, but usually split into two doses - so yours would be 0.15ml per rat twice a day ScattieMcRattie.

just out of interest, where does this information re: ml per kilo come from as all vets seem to work on the basis of 0.5ml per kilo

my vets has 4 rats and successfully treated them all for sneezing/excessive porphyria using the above dosage

I do feel slightly bad for doubling the dosage he gave me for my girls, especially as he is a personal friend, as it feels like I am doubting his professional abilities :(

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Thu May 21, 2009 9:35 pm

http://www.rathealth.co.uk/articles/baytril.html
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.php
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/qna2_01.htm

I think the revised dosages came from vets in america, after it was found that low doses aren't as effective. basically Baytril can be given up to really high doses without causing harm, but 0.1ml per day is not an effective dose; so trial and error have brought out these figures of 1ml/kg/day (or 0.5ml/kg twice a day).

The drug guidelines give a dosage of 0.1ml/day for rats i think; but this is based on cat/dog doses per kg and doesnt take into account the faster speed of a rats' metabolism. By underdosing there is a higher risk of resistance to the antibiotic, and that it wont treat cases which are more serious than a sniffle. At the end of the day its up to you which information to go with, but don't feel bad about it if you up the dosage, its whats best for your girls thats important :)
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Thu May 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks Snaisby :)

I'm giving them double what he said - i.e. 0.1ml in the morning and another 0.1ml at night which I understand is more effective than giving them the whole thing in one go due to their fast metabolism

He's given me 5mls so it should last about 8 or 9 days (he advised a 7 day regime)

they are small girls - 240g and 270/280g - so I think 0.2ml is probably about right based on the revised calculations

only one of them was actually showing any real problems with sneezing and porphyrin, the other two are being treated pretty much as a precaution