Haunted me for years..Heamaphrodite? lousy Vet? my nievety!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ScattieMcRattie

Haunted me for years..Heamaphrodite? lousy Vet? my nievety!

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:15 pm

hiya all, am am new to this group and i just want to talk about something that happened many many years ago with my first ever Rats Precious and Zoro that i had when i was about 17 years old. Its haunted me for years, and i feel it was my fault that i didnt know better and my vets fault as he was supposed to be in the know though i guess no one is infallable. anyways heres what happened.

i bought Precious and Zoro from a pet store and was told they were both females i took their word for it not knowing how to tell the difference myself at the time, (i do now of course) they lived together happily and were the sweetest little girls..one day i went to feed them and had the shock of my life when i found 8 tiny little wriggly pink things crawling around under Zoro. They were adorable, i kept all the babies myself, and seperated them male and female when they were old enough and thinking preciouse was actually a male now i put her in with one of my males Lancelot. one day again i found Precious to be in a lot of distress heavy breathin panting and when i picked him/her up there was goey bloody discharg from his/her..back end i immediately rushed her to the vets on an emergency apointment.

the vet told me that my rat was a heamaphrodite...looking at which i know now to just be the genital papilla present in both males and females...couldnt tell me why she was in pain or haveing discharge...he injected her with something then sent me on my way. i put her in a small convalescent cage i had and within an half hour of me being home i fuond her proudly cleaning 8 little babies, they were all sadly still born.

i deduced my vet was a plonker, and got a new one, and that i really needed to learn more about rats myself. i put preciouse back with the females were she stayed hapilly for many years, with no other pregnancies in my colonies. untill at a grand old age she had what my new vet said was a stroke and had to be put to sleep.

i dont really know what i am asking here...! i'm just leaving it open for anyones thoughts and comments. its just this experience has haunted me for many years and i often think about it. while looking at other threads and posts i saw someone mention they had a heamaphrodite rat and it prompted me to write this post. is it possible my Preciuos was really a heamaphrodite as my vet told me..(but i didnt think they could reproduce) or was he a very poorly informed vet in the ways of rats.? could the injection he gave her have killed all her babies? or cold it have been the stress of being moved around and handled in labour... i completely take blame for my nievety in the situation i really didnt know what i was doing at the time, these were my fisrts rats i just got as pets with no intentions of breeding and was confronted with a lot of babies and situations i knew nothin about. i took the vets word as gospal i blame his miss diagnosis and myself for the loss of those 8 babies and the suffering of my precious though she went to go on and live till nearly 4 after the fact

all comments and thoughts welcom

Mofo :teen: , Shaamo :teen: , Shizz :dumboteen: , and Guber :dumboteen: . :hearts:
Precious, Petrie, lucifer, Lancelot, Labbelis, Zoro, Zelia, Mecia, Marible, Scattie, Juniper Pearl, :rainbow: :hearts: RIP
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

OllySmirnyAJ

Re: Haunted me for years..Heamaphrodite? lousy Vet? my nievety!

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:25 pm

It's possible that the vet was right, however there are still surprisingly few vets who know much about fancy rats :-|

In fact, I have two married friends who are both qualified vets (one still running a practice) nd they came to ME for advice re: keeping rats!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 259AAtXQtz

"If she does turn out to be a hermaphrodite, always keep in mind that she is still female, and she can still get pregnant if she isn't sterile. Hermaphrodites are not males so they can't get a female pregnant. Those tiny testicles are sterile and they don't have a functional penis to do the job"

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

thanks a lot, for responding and finding this link. i have gone to the link and have to become a member to see the pictures, i am waiting for my membership to be confirmed. this happened many many years ago (over 10) and my girl is now passed (at the time i put her back with all my other females). perhaps i was just to quick to dismiss the vet ater she gave birth..but he really didnt seem to now what he was doing, and to me she just looked female no sign of testees....anyhow...so from what i gather from what i just read it wasnt possible for her to have got Zoro pregnant, and then gone on to have had babies of her own.!!! perhaps zoro was pregnant when i got her which started the whole fiasco. do you think the injections....the handling and stress..or the fact she may may not have been a heamaphrodite, or all of the above could have been the cause for the babies to be stil born?
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:38 pm

It's impossible to say Scattie, especially as you're not sure what the injection was for :( if it was hormones/steroids then it may well have had an impact on the births but I'm really not qualified to say. It may just have been a coincidence and she was too physically immature or simply unable to carry safely full term.

I really don't know anything about the condition, only what I have Googled (i.e a hermaphrodite rat is capable of getting pregnant, but not impregnating other rats)

it must be really hard for you as you have obviously wondered for a long long time if you did the right thing - all I can say is that you did everything you could. The average vet 10 years ago knew even less than they do today where rats are concerned x

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:10 pm

thanks alot olly, i means a lot to just be able to talk these things out and get someones elses perspective on things even if i dont come up with any difinitive answers and nothing is gonna change the past. it was a long time ago and yes it has played on my mind since. but after this experience he/she lol went on to live happily for a good few years. RIP Precious :hearts:
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 pm

The fact that Precious was nearly 4 when she passed on is testament to the love and care you gave her - that really is a ripe old age for a rat x

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:55 pm

you had males too at the time, so to my mind it is more likely that one of the boys managed to cause both pregnancies than that the rat was a hermaphrodite, but without knowing more about the cages and other circumstances at the time I couldn't say that that was what it was.
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:54 pm

hi yoshimi, when i first got them it was just precious and zoro...zoro became pregnant and i guess now she must have came to me that way as i hadnt had her that long when she gave birth, thinking she was prob male precious moved in with zoros sons and zoro stayed with her daughters, when i realised precious was alsso pregnant and thre for female after she was better she moved in with the females agian. so i guess one zoros of sons got precious preg. i think there was a lot of missunderstanding on both my part as a young rat owner and of the vets and its plagued me for a while and its just great to find some people to talk about it with.
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube