worried.....sneezing and now mucus

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ScattieMcRattie

worried.....sneezing and now mucus

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri May 01, 2009 12:31 am

i am very worried with my boys, i think i will have to get a vets appointment in the morning

There is a long version if you want to hear it but the crux of it is my boys are sneezing constantly tonight, and i have just witnessed wet sneezes, and i swear Shaams and shizzs noses look a bit red. and the furr on there faces is not as bright white as usual and is particularly around the whisker bed is almost pink. today they have slept all day, all four have barely moved,

however i have just cleaned them out about an hour ago and they are bounding about like kittens ..playing with cardboard loo roll tubes and as i speek Guber is walking about wiv it on his head. there coats are smooth and shiny, and Shaamo and MoFo's red eyes are bright and clear.

i am really worried as i was just reading the post on contagiouse infections and when someone mentioned the redness of the face i started to pannick. i dont want my boys to go down hill like that, and so fast. i cant loose them i am just starting to bond with them. Shizz now comes to me for cuddles and i'm making great steps with Mo's fear issues.

i just want to ask someone elses opinion...what should i do? could this be what they are experiencing ? or something else?
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Hobbit Stealer

Re: worried.....sneezing and now mucus

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Fri May 01, 2009 12:49 am

First things first, try not to panic. Be calm 8)
The red stuff is poryphrin and if your ratty is a bit pink around his face it means he's washed his nose and eyes of poryphrin and spread it onto his fur; sometimes it looks quite gruesome on white fur! A little is normal, they wash it off every day, so you only have to worry if there is excessive poryphrin, e.g crusting around the eyes. It sounds like your ratty is well enough to clean himself, which is a good thing.
How long have you had your rats? They do sneeze sometimes if they have just moved into a new place, or if they have been cleaned out or have had their hammocks washed, little things like this can affect their respiratory symptoms. I was worried myself whenever I heard my rats sneeze but occasional sneezing isn't something you have to worry about I don't think, it doesn't necessarily indicate they have an infection. If their coats are soft and shiny and their eyes are bright, and they are playing nicely I don't think you should worry - it could be a case of you worrying too much? I've been there!
How often are they sneezing? If it's over and over again or you've heard them sneezing lots of times today it might be safest to take them to the vet just in case, if it's just one or two sneezes I wouldn't worry BUT at the same time, if in doubt, take them to the vet, that way you'll be sure.

I'm not very experienced in ratty infections etc. but I thought I would give my advice as I'm not sure how many people will be online at the moment. It's up to you though, you don't need to rush to the vet at the first sneeze but if you are really worried you could make an appointment? Sorry if my advice sounds a bit contradictory, I'm pretty tired and frazzled, try not to worry anyway.
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Fri May 01, 2009 12:51 am

Sorry I just reread that you said they are sneezing 'constantly' (really am tired) if the sneezing is definitely quite insistent it is probably best they do go to the vets just in case, but I wouldn't panic. Are they eating and drinking ok? I don't really know much about this infection going round though so I really can't give you any proper advice I'm afraid!! :(
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 am

thanks fot replying quickly.... i havent had them that long at all i bought them all from (now i know better) P@h on the 21st and 25th of march so that means i've had them just about 6 weeks. they were a bit snuffly and noisy when i got them but i wasnt sure it was anything to worry about and dismissed it. a few days ago both Sham and Mo's red eyes seemed turn black....i thought it was because they were dehydrated as i changed the type of bottle they used(to a sippy) and they had difficulty using it, so i changed it back. yesterday was the first day i thoguht the colour was back in there eyes, today they are possitively bright.

they are all asleep now...and someone is making a lot of niose.

i admit though even though they were bounding about they didnt ravage the fresh bowl of goodies i layed down for them as usual...but they did eat.

i think i will get an appointment and take them all down anyway rather be safe thean sorry.

i know people here are mostly biased against P@h on here but do you think its there fault in some way....i remember seeing a very sickly looking rat a few weeks before i got my boys i called him biscuit...underweight puffed up rough coat always pushed out of the nest. i watched him for a week and was making arrangements to rescue him but had to get accomodation sorted btu when i went in he was gone....and shortly after i went back and got these.......in hind sight i realise i was asking for trouble.

My Boys
Shaamo... is hard to describe he has the markings pattern of a husky, but he is cream with the markings being slightly darker biege. with red eyes. am tempted to say he is a champagne
MoFo... a Japanese or hooded rat silver fawn with red eyes...

Shizz and Guber... are both Husky dumbos
:hearts:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Fri May 01, 2009 1:43 am

Hey glad you're a bit more relaxed! Pet shop rats tend to be unhealthy compared to properly bred rats so they may have picked something up while being in the store. I think if there is some noisy breathing you should definitely see about taking them to the vet tomorrow, it's probably something that can be cleared up quite quickly with the right medication (but again I am far from an expert in this area, I'm a newbie really!!)
They sound like nice boys, if you want to know the variety you could post pictures on here and people will be able to tell you. I have a siamese husky/roan who has red eyes, maybe the same as your boy? He has completely faded now and is white all over but before he lost his colour he was a sort of creamy beige. If you search through my posts you should be able to see some pics if you want to compare, he's called Scrumpy :)
Good luck at the vets :luck:

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri May 01, 2009 3:00 am

thanks a lot for the chat.... i am calmer but still worried they've got this mysery bug infection going round. will get them to the vet asap.

as for pics i would love to share how beautiful they are with every one if any ones interested. but i was trying to add some pics to something the other day and i couldnt do it!! is ther a special format i need to use or something? can you explain to me how to add pics to posts as i cant figure it out.. and i dont suppose you know how i can use one of my pics as an avatar either as i cant do that either...either lol

anyways thanks for everything

Heather :girly:
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Fri May 01, 2009 7:25 am

Hi Scattie

as has been said, probably best to pop them down to the vets if the sneezing is excessive and they seem less interested in food

re: posting pictures:
if you are using a photobucket account then copy and paste the line called IMG Code
if you are using Tinypic the copy and paste the line IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards

NB: Pics must be 640 pixels or smaller so you might need to resize them before posting

it's the same process for using the pics as an avatar but the dimensions have to be even smaller (I think it's 80 x80 but not sure) just post the code in the box provided

:D

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Fri May 01, 2009 10:06 am

Does Shaamo look at all like my boy Scrumpy?

ETA: what did the vet say, have they been yet? :) :luck:

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sat May 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Hiya all, i went to the vets this morning with an emergency appointment, as i couldnt go friday. basically to cut a long story short he gave them all a thorough check over then he suggested they have pnuemonia, and prescribed 0.1ml Baytril each daily. and i'm to go back wednesday. he said they do have quite bad chests rattling and such, MoFo more than all the others, and he was sneezing all over the vet while being handled. but apart from that they are in top top condition the vet said. he weighed them all and MoFo wsa the heaviest at 334g i think and Shizz i think being the lightest at 284g ....quite a big difference (they are at the most 5 months, old but more like 3/4 but i dont know there exact dob's)am not sure how much they should weigh at this age but the vet said it was good.

i asked him and we talked a lot about Myco he said he couldnt rule it out its a deffinate possibility, if it is, and it gets in to the other cells then its likely to flare up over and over and there very little he can do, and if not then the antibiotics will do the trick and its not likely to reoccur. he said the infection could have laid dormant for a while and brought on by some kind or stress or it could have recently been contracted.

i asked about anything i could do to help and we talked about keeping them warm and free from drafts and needing plenty of fresh air, room to play all the usual type things and minimising stress, i told him i was giving them fresh garlic crushed on their kibble did he think it would help he said scientifically he cant say yay or nay but it a old wives tail and it is not likely to do any harm, and if there a possibility it could do some good then why not..he also suggested adding parsley, watercress, purple sprouting broccoli, kale and some other iron rich foods to their diet.

its been a really long hot day for us.. we left at 10 am and i dint get home till nearly 2 due to bank holiday traffick( i dont drive so had to get two different busses to my emergency out of town vet there and back and they were all late. on the way home i waited an45 mins for a bus grrr. four hours is too long to spend in a carrier being barraged by strange noises and smells so i have given them their dose for the day (that was fun) and ave put them in their ratbitait and am gonna leave em be for the night...they really dont look happy their red eyes (those that have them) have gone near black.....even with the bowl of strawberries and new furry tunnel i got them as i was feeling extra sorry for them isnt cheering them up.

anyways thansk for your concern and support guy after th vets and chatting i feel better and with the meds so will they i hope. i am still stressing it could be myco i lost my best girl to that many years ago and havent had a rat since, i cant lose all these too...if you like i will keep ya informed to wednesdays follow up...

thanks again all,

as a side note, hobbit stealer.....yeah the markings are pretty much the same as your scrumpy darker around the eyes, and a blaze, and darker on the back but not in spine line like the hooded its more a blanket comes half way down the sides further down than Scrumpys, Sham's coat is much paler in colour the differences are quite subtle it doesnt show well in photoes. it almost looks like a water mark, like he got rained on and his coat ran, its very subtle. he doesnt have dark points though like a siamese

i opened a photbucket site last night and i will upload some photoes and see if i can add them here and i will post them to the my rats thread

yay i done it this is Shaamo.... :love: ..now am off to piccy the whole site lol what have ya started lol :lol:
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun May 03, 2009 4:15 am

i did it then deleted the photo...duugh anyway here he is
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube