Anaesthetic

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
TINA2

Anaesthetic

Post by TINA2 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm

I know some take longer ,some take less to wake up from an anaesthetic. But ,can anyone please give me a rough idea how long it can take to wake up?
Tina :olddoe: & Vic :oldbuck:

Our girls
Remy, Tinker, Kenco, Frosty, Baileys, Buttons, Beauty, Socks :rainbow:Hissy

carney

Re: Anaesthetic

Post by carney » Tue May 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I really don't know! I know when my guys have ops they have to be there before 9 and I have to ring around 12.30. Obviously they're not under for all that time though. DO you have someone in the vet having an op?
Formerly yappy

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm

A rat literally wakes up a few seconds after the gas mask /supply is removed- They all vary as to how long they take to behave as normal -some will be a little sleepier that day.
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

TINA2

Post by TINA2 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Sarah

Tinker had an eye removed today.Picked her up at 4pm and she was still out.The vet said normaly they put a tube in ,but Tinkers breathing became so bad with the tube that she wouldn,t keep still.And the vet needed her to stay completely still.So he gave her another injection on top of the anaestetic.When i picked Tinker up she was already out for 4 hours.Vet says there is nothing else they can do for her now.It,s now 8.15 and there is still no change.

Our girls

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Tue May 05, 2009 8:21 pm

In all the ops I have seen performed on rats never once have any been tubed-this is used normally once the animal has been anaesthetised by injection.Rats are usually best sedated by gas -this can make tricky surgery difficult but not impossible.
I do hope she is OK soon -sounds like they got the dose too high. not sure why they say can't do anything -I assume the reversal drug -antisedan possibly -is not being effective .
Is she breathing OK ?
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

carney

Post by carney » Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Oh no :( Hows she doing now? x x
Formerly yappy

TINA2

Post by TINA2 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Tinkers breathing looks slightely faster since 9pm(it was dead slow at the vets).Appart from that she is still the same.No life in her :( .I turn her over every hour and also give her some teardrops in her good eye so it doesn,t dry out.And i trickle a drop of water on her tongue,which is still hanging out.Tinker has been like this for 12 hours now.

Our girls

carney

Post by carney » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Oh no, Tina, I'm so so sorry :( I have no experience of this at all. Did he use a needle to anaethetise her? What I do know is that unless one of my guys is up and about after an op then they will not be allowed home x x
Formerly yappy

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue May 05, 2009 11:09 pm

oh no! i can only really echo what's been said already :( I've never had a vet that will let a rat go home after an op until they've been seen to eat and drink while in the surgery though :-?
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 pm

poor girlie :( does she have any responses at all, when you touch her eyes do they twitch? if you open her eyelid and shine a bright light into it, do her pupils shrink at all?

thinking of you, this must be very distressing for you :( hugs xxx
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue May 05, 2009 11:18 pm

eta - sorry; only just saw your reply in mentioning she's been like this for 12hrs since the op. Can you get her to your emergency vet? Sounds like a situation where the quicker she sees someone decent the better :luck: I'd also personally be writing a very strongly worded letter to the practice she was operated on's manager and the RVC :(
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

TINA2

Post by TINA2 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 pm

All i know is that he said on top of the anaesthetic he had to give her an injection because they had to remove the tube.
He did say they could keep her in for the night but that there is nothing else they can do for her at this stage,so i might as well take her home and ring him in the morning to let him know how she is.I am really worried.Something has obviously gone very wrong :(

Our girls

TINA2

Post by TINA2 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 pm

No response what so ever.If it wasn,t for her breathing you would think she is dead

Our girls

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 pm

i just can't believe they let you take her home - if this was a person they'd be in intensive care being monitored very carefully! i would ring up a different emergency vet to be honest, and get some advice on what they can do for her - it doesn't sound like she's waking up on her own at the moment. Do you know what anasthetics they gave her and at what dose? xxx
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

Kt'sCritters!
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Kt'sCritters! » Tue May 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Hiya - is she a plump girlie - - I have been told often they hold the drugs in their fat - this can cause them to be sleepy for longer - one lad I had was very drowsy and not good for some time after coming home from an operation... However.... I am very concerned reading your posts as to how she is doing.... I would most certainly see if you can call the vets again now and maybe ask for a 2nd opinion.. I'd want to talk to vet who operated and find out exactly what was done...

What drugs were used - Do you know, and what amount? I have been in the operating room when one of my guys was operated on in an emergency, and am lucky enough to have seen start to finish how things were handled - I have an amazing vet and I am very lucky.... I am not the biggest fan of inj's any more - I find the gas much better and the reversal is amazing to see... - my concerns is they have given your little girl too much . .

How are you keeping her... Is she warm? I am concerned her tongue is hanging from her mouth too... can you see what colour this is? what did the vet tell you to do for aftercare?

I am wondering if you make up something tasty and soft and smelly this may help tempt her . . this is a long shot really.. babyfood maybe - add sprinkle of sugar on it.. I'd think she could do with some fluids too after an operation like this .. But i am not a vet - So i really don't know what to say for the best...

In all honesty I feel you need vet advice..... and now... but maybe someone different to the person who sent her home as she was.. that sounds very strange to me? ....

sending much love to her and you xxxx
Last edited by Kt'sCritters! on Tue May 05, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love, Kt.
All my ratties live on forever in my heart, forever loved. xxx
North of England rat society