blood around the eyes

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
choicestgirl

blood around the eyes

Post by choicestgirl » Sun May 31, 2009 3:12 pm

hi
our rat wepeel is 2 years old, she has recently been spayed, as she had pyometra and instead of putting her to sleep the vet said it'd be worth trying this as otherwise she was healthy, although showing the symptoms of pyometra, lethargy, bad skin and coat condition etc. we are keeping her in a hospital cage currently and have given her her metacam yesterday, she has access to water, food, fresh food etc all of the time and has her hot water bottle under the cage.

she is still very clumsy, as she was just before the op, her scar appears fine but she also has blood around the eyes, i thought it may be the same stuff that she has had around the nose beginning with 'p' which is caused by stress? is this possible.
if not, what is this? she has her check up at the vets tomorrow so i will ask then but wondered if anyone knows what this could be?
alan, aimsworth and their children; wipeel, jonas, rat, manny, dotty and speedy. and hagrid the hamster too :)

OllySmirnyAJ

Re: blood around the eyes

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Sun May 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi :)

It could well be porphyrin - one of my girls used to get a thick crust of it round one eye and it looked just like dried blood