Home remedies for resp issues

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Poppyhal

Home remedies for resp issues

Post by Poppyhal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Apart from lots of steam from a hot shower, what other home treatments can I do for my girl who has a noisy resp problem? Can I use something like vicks vapour rub in some water near the cage? My vet said there is something you give children to help clear their chest, but I can't remeber what it's called.

I just want to do everything I can to help her breathing.

And can I only get bisolvon from a vets? And how much is it and should I get some?

Thank you
:love: Fraggle, Dusty, Pootle, Lennie, Scamp, Biscuit, Pickle, Cinders and Norman-Stanley-Fletcher :love:
Missing you all

Button

Re: Home remedies for resp issues

Post by Button » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:16 pm

I've heard a little bit of dark choc helps but it's probably best to look at what meds she's on as there are a few different combinations you can try.

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:15 pm

The thing the vet mentioned for a childs chest...could it have been Karvol? It is used like Vicks. It smells gorgeous!
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:17 pm

yeah thats it, thank you, do you think it would help?
:love: Fraggle, Dusty, Pootle, Lennie, Scamp, Biscuit, Pickle, Cinders and Norman-Stanley-Fletcher :love:
Missing you all

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 pm

and how would I use it for the rat?
Missing you all

Rinoa391

Post by Rinoa391 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 am

Something im currently trying at the mo is Manuka honey factor 20 (higher the better) and disolving a bit in their water along with a drop of grapefruit seed liquid and a few drops of enchinacea/goldenseal.
I used this for about a week and noticed it cleared up the mild snuffles and sneezes some of my rats had. Hasnt completely cleared the worst rat but ive noticed shes improved.
I just made sure i used a smaller water dish so i knew they were drinking it all in one day. Also i wouldnt suggest using honey all the time because of the sugar but its worth trying for a week or 2.
I have also got a bottle of childrens tixylix for chesty coughs which helps when there a bit congested. I just give them a small drop on my finger.

Not saying these are all cures but there good to try as well as antibiotics and to boost there immune system

Emma x
Mummy to my 2 really naughty hoodies Cherry + Pip x
Also doggy Duke x

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 am

You can put a drop of olbas oil onto a tissue and sit it next to the cage. Fresh thyme is good for resp system.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 pm

With the karvol, maybe dilute it and stand a bowl near the cage or with a drop or two on a tissue well well out of reach of the cage? It is very very strong smelling, so I'd not use much if you do try it. Not sure I'd try it myself without checking with experienced people on here cause the smell is so strong the other rats who aren't ill may not like it. Maybe you could try doing a post just asking about Karvol?
I've got a rat with resp issues myself at the mo. I put her in her carrier in the bathroom with me when I'm showering so she can breathe in the steam. Thinking about getting her to breathe in steam with tee tree oil in it (safely of course. Hope yours is starting to feel better soon. I've never had to deal with resp issues before and its heartbreaking hearing her breathing all rattly. Hugs for you and your poorly rat :love:

Edited...oh just saw the comment about fresh Thyme, running out to my herb garden now ... have to say you lot on here are a clever bunch :girly:
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks everyone. I will try anything I can to make her better. She is so noisy at the moment,I feel so sorry for her.
Missing you all

katievonlou

Post by katievonlou » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:31 pm

Rinoa391 wrote:Something im currently trying at the mo is Manuka honey factor 20 (higher the better) and disolving a bit in their water along with a drop of grapefruit seed liquid and a few drops of enchinacea/goldenseal.
just wondering where you got your grapefruit seed liquid? :D
i've got some manuka honey 25+ laying around and thought i would give this a go, but when i went into our local holland and barrett the assistant told me that they've discontinued the grapefruit see liquid :-| and i can't find it anywhere else..
katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

Rinoa391

Post by Rinoa391 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Oh sorry only just seen this.
I got the grapefruit seed stuff from acrorats but they are closed at the moment.
Its called Citrosept and i think it is available from other places online too, try citrosept.co.uk i think they sell it.
One of my girls is pretty bad at the mo though so its another vet trip monday...i hate these resp problems. Hope ur girlies feeling ok :girly:

Emma x
Mummy to my 2 really naughty hoodies Cherry + Pip x
Also doggy Duke x