Obese??

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratty lover0099

Obese??

Post by ratty lover0099 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:02 pm

All of my 3 lads weigh around 800g, but one of them is noticebly larger than the other 2.

Despite them all just eating their shunamite diet (I half fill 2 small coop cups each day). In it is just the rabbit food, pasta, dog kibble and cereal. They also occasionly get fresh veggies, and a small jar of baby food probably once every 6 months ish. People visiting have asked me if he is overfed!

They are in no way over fed, but this lad has rolls of flab.

I remember reading about a gene in rats that makes them overweight (zucker?) Is it possible this is what my boy has, he isn't a huge mover (like most boys!) but he doesn't sleep when he's out, and will quite happily potter about for an hour. He's now nearly 16 months old, and was one of the babies born from a big rescue that took place on this forum.

As a young lad:

Growing up:

The pictures don't do him justice, he's huge (fat!) with rolls of flab, I weigh him regularly, and he never loses any, but still puts on a few grams every now and again.
Recently:

How do you put a rat on a diet that isn't over indulged anyway? :teen:
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

KateR

Re: Obese??

Post by KateR » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Take the pasta out of their dry mix. And give them fresh veg more frequently.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I agree with KateR. Some rats have a tendency to put on weight more easily than others, just like us. Feed more fresh fruit and veg and cut back on the dry mix until he starts to look right. The hormones and other additives in the processed meats might be blowing him up. It's really important that he gets an individual diet to lower his weight and generally improve his health so that he enjoys movement. In the second picture he does look too big but the others it's harder to tell. Only you'll know how much he needs to lose. Help him to be active too.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

sat

Post by sat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 am

I recall that Stella from Cavy Rescue had a very large boy who continued to gain weight. It turned out that he had a thyroid problem so perhaps that is the reason for your lad continuing to grow. He is lovely though Karen, nonetheless. Not sure how you test for thyroid - I guess it's a blood test. David has done a blood test before for me, albeit it diagnosed liver failure and resulted in a sad end. Might be worthwhile investigating this as a possible cause. Good luck.

Sylvia x
:rainbow:BillBenBobbyLennie&CoCrackle&CoHoneyCleo&CoStuartNutmegHazel&CoZumiStumpy&
CoRioRazzAcornMoonstone&CoAshCaramac&CoAngusRowan&CoTobyGebShadowStreakSilverChong
PoloLindenCheechZeusLoopy-forever in my heart

rattiechick222

Post by rattiechick222 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I would take him off shunamite and perhaps give a fresh diet, with cereals / wholemeal toast for breakfast, and veggies etc at night.... are better raw but can cook them as well.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 pm

rattiechick222 wrote:I would take him off shunamite

Why? the good thing about the whole Shunamite diet principle is that it can be tailored for different rats, which commericial rat mixes cant... and i assume it would be difficult to give a totally fresh diet which isnt lacking in something?
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Debs

Post by Debs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:09 pm

I don't think you need to drop Shunamite either, though you might want to cut out/down on some of the higher energy extra bits like pasta - I feed a cut back version of this all the time now, and have far fewer overweight rats than I used to, as at one stage mine were getting embarrassingly podgy. [Wonders now whether Alison has ever specifically devised a weight loss version.]

What I also do is to feed all rats just enough that the bowl is empty a couple of hours before feeding time. I don't feed yoggies etc any more, and stick to handing out healthier treats like cherry tomatoes, grapes or boiled rice, which they love.

Also, all my rats have a "tidy up day" - the day before cleaning I don't put more food into the cage unless there is really nothing in there. They then have to forage around for little bits and bobs they've dropped during the previous few days.

Just like us, it does them no harm to eat up their leftovers, or to feel hungry for short periods. Since I've got better at keeping weight down, fewer of my does get lumps - so that has to be good news.
Deb & the New World Rats

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Also, all my rats have a "tidy up day" - the day before cleaning I don't put more food into the cage unless there is really nothing in there. They then have to forage around for little bits and bobs they've dropped during the previous few days.

Nice idea Debs. :D
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I also do the tidy up time the evening before clean out, so they get no fresh food that night, and have to find other bits they've stashed. I'll cut down on the Pasta in the shunamite and see if that helps. :)
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:50 pm

I've got a couple of obese does in my lot and I've taken out the pasta altogether and I also do exactly what debs does so I know they eaten all the food in there cage! I've also make them run up and down the stairs :wink:

I think its in the genes as they were pet shops girls some of my girls never seem to put any weight on where as some pile it on. I also worry that some of my girls are under weight and they still look like kittens even though they are months old :-?
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 pm

It won't hurt to just feed alpha herbal too, perhaps on alternate days. I would also restrict the food to the whole cage or skip one day a week feeding them.

Nessie lost 32g in a few weeks because I just reduced the food to the whole cage. I give Bert and Priscilla nutrical and the babies some higher calorie food outside the cage. The other rats will fight for their bit of the food so everyone is maintaining weight apart from Ness and Sing (who also had a bit to lose).
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative