can rats catch human colds?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Ladyday

can rats catch human colds?

Post by Ladyday » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:44 pm

evening

ive been a bit run down and full of cold the past couple of days and today our rats seem a little sluggish and extra thirsty to the point where they are fighting over the water bottle. They havent wanted to come out of the cage which is unusual for them as well and was wondering if they might have caught any of my germs?

i know they are prone to pneumonia and wanted to make sure that im not making them sick...

snufflebear

Re: can rats catch human colds?

Post by snufflebear » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi
i asked this same question a couple of months ago, apparently we cant so you don't need to worry :) !
In any case ive been ill this week so i always ask my OH to get them out just as a precaution anyway :oops:
Proud mummy of Edward, Raoul, Theo and Reuben :smileyrat:, Poppy, Daisy :girly:, Lilly, Sky :dumbogirly:, Blossom and Clover :girly:
R.I.P Oscar, Elmo, Charlie, Rupert, Jasper and Rosie sleep tight babies, have fun at the bridge xxx
E.C. member

ratty lover0099

Re: can rats catch human colds?

Post by ratty lover0099 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Nope, ratties cannot catch the human cold :)

If your rats don't seem "right" it won't be down to your cold, keep an eye on them and get them down the vets if you're worried :luck:
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.