suspected tumor?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
MoominLove

suspected tumor?

Post by MoominLove » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:17 pm

i have 2 girls, about a year and a half old and i have noticed a LARGE loose lump under ones front armpit. about the size of a 20p, and she is not a big rat so it looks so big on her. its soft to touch and feels very loose. it doesnt seem to bother my girl at all. i am obviously extremely worried about her but as vet bills are expencive and funds are low at the moment i would like an oppinion on wether to take her to a vet as soon as i can get a appoiontment or if i could wait a few weeks till i have a bit more money. these are my 1st rats so i have never had to deal with this befor and its all new to me. the thort of it being benign and her having to be put to sleep is on my mind constantly. any advice would be fantastic.
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

SuzieSparkle

Re: suspected tumor?

Post by SuzieSparkle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 pm

HI there,
I have 2 girls. Both just over 1 yr old too. They're my first ratties.
One of them, Rita, had a lump exactly as you describe but on her back leg. I took her straight to the vets and she has had it removed and is recovering now. Check up on Tuesday so I will know then what it is. Vet did say it didn't seem to be a fatty lump so.... :-?
So far it cost me £100 (which I haven't got so is coming from my overdraft).

Personally, I wouldn't leave it a few weeks but Rita's grew from no where in a very short time. It was weird.

purplepony

Post by purplepony » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:05 pm

I had this sort of thing happen to me about a month ago. My girl Patch suddenly developed a grape sized lump on the side of her neck, so I took her to see my vet. He thought that it was likely to be a mammory tumour, probably begnin. He said that most lumps on rats are benign tumours. Unfortunatly on listening to Patch's chest he also diagnosed a resp infection. This meant that she had to have a 2 week course of Baytril before she could have her op, as the vet said it was too risky to put her under anesthetic with a chest infection.

This meant that it was nearly 4 weeks between me noticing the lump and her having it removed. In that time the lump didn't grow at all. When the vet operated it turned out that the lump was an abnormal gland as opposed to a tumour.

I wouldn't want to advise you to wait, but I'm sure you will find that there are plently of owners on here who haven't had their rats operated on straight away for one reason or another.

Good luck :luck:
:girly:Bubbles, Patch, Poppy :smileyrat: Rex and Hooch
:rainbow: Marbles & Smudge at the bridge :love:

Button

Post by Button » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm

I've had a couple of rats operated on for lumps, particularly my current girl Roxy who has recently had lump number four removed. I'd personally take her to the vet and explain your situation. My vet won't give any credit and all bills have to be paid at the time but not all vets are the same. Some lumps grow very quickly so it's advisable to have it removed as soon as you can. Saying that I have had to wait a couple of weeks to have a lump removed because of respiratory problems and there were no problems because of it.

MoominLove

Post by MoominLove » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 pm

thanx for the advice. im going to take her to the vet and have it look'd at. if she needs it taken off i will have to lend the money. she is more important to me than my bank account. wish me luck!!
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.