Not using back leg?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Jackdaw

Not using back leg?

Post by Jackdaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Just noticed that Arthur is limping badly and not using his back foot. It is swollen and feels very floppy but he is trying to use it occassionally like to scratch but it just sort of twitches when he tries. He is still playing and moving around though.

Is this likely to be a sprain or strain or something more serious like a break?

I also noticed he was licking our hands and arms madly. Could this be a reaction to pain? I only have some neurofen children's ibuprofen? My poor licky boy :(

Thanks
Kelly and the Ratties - Arthur, Merlin, Rupert, Spot, Crumble, Moss, Fennel, Bramley, Pike, Dandelion, Arrow and Pipit
And at the bridge - George, Henry, Badger and Sushi :(

lilladysez

Re: Not using back leg?

Post by lilladysez » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Its unlikely to be broken as they can die from the shock of that. I think child safe drugs are ok but metacam can be bought from the vet. Leg injuries fix really quickly so don't worry too much, just manage his pain.
Proud mum to Smirnoff Texas, Eleven and Minny. HKM Sausage, India, Zulu, Sierra, Delta and Tango. Tilly and Bitzy. Missing those who have left like crazy.

I'm a Dark Wednesday survivor!!

Jackdaw

Post by Jackdaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:21 pm

Thank you. One of the other rats recently had something similar but with his front paw but he never seemed to be in any pain so that's what is worrying me the most. Going to look up dosages and give him some ibuprofen. I'll probably shut them in one half of the explorer overnight just to let him rest it a bit more.

Not feeling quite as calm as usual today - it's been a very bad day. Thank you!
Kelly and the Ratties - Arthur, Merlin, Rupert, Spot, Crumble, Moss, Fennel, Bramley, Pike, Dandelion, Arrow and Pipit
And at the bridge - George, Henry, Badger and Sushi :(

lilladysez

Post by lilladysez » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 pm

I've had two leg injuries, Angel who got her back foot trapped in a drawer (that i shut, you can't imagine the guilt) and Minny who wouldn't straighten her front leg, both took only a few days before they acted back to normal. Cornering them off is a good idea, try to reduce climbs too if you can.
Proud mum to Smirnoff Texas, Eleven and Minny. HKM Sausage, India, Zulu, Sierra, Delta and Tango. Tilly and Bitzy. Missing those who have left like crazy.

I'm a Dark Wednesday survivor!!

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Calpol for infants is Rat safe :) x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Rescue Remedy, rest and TLC :love:
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats