Lump on female dumbo...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Amzy

Lump on female dumbo...

Post by Amzy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Hey hey

Last night I found a lump on one of my female dumbos.. unfortunately she isnt very friendly and loves coming out to play and stuff but isnt very human friendly. Her sister died from a lump in June/July... we took the decision not to get it removed as she also wasnt human friendly and we didnt feel it was fair to traumatise her with humans poking and prodding and ultimately an operation.

Im not sure what to do. When I took her sister to the vet back in the summer the vet suggested Calpol twice a day, so Im going to start that... She is so scrawney... Not much bigger than a mouse, and is very skinny, when you can hold her you can feel all her bones... she is obviously not exactly top quality genes... she also had a litter of babies at 6 weeks old which I feel they stole all her "goodness" which stopped her developing properly. She has always always been tiny but hasnt let that stop her hyperactive nature...

The lump is inbetween her back legs, and looks fairly large on her, but Im thinking if the lump was on any of my other rats it wouldnt look half as harsh as they are so much bigger and fatter and healthier. It isnt affecting her movement at the momant and doesnt seem any different in character. It looks exactly like the lump her sister had. It looks soft, but I havent felt it yet...

One of her babies died at 10 months old when having an operation, I just dont think she would make it though surgery... her size and not sure of her breeding (whether shes inbred or not...)

Is it harsh to let her have the time of her life now? Come out for 3 to 4 hours a day, run, play with others, have nice yummy food and when the time comes get her put to sleep?

I just dont know...

xx
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

annc

Re: Lump on female dumbo...

Post by annc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:38 pm

I should see what your vet says, because of her size, but my three who have had a lumpectomy and spay have done brilliantly - and the girls are less wimpish than the boys!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Maybe you could try a different vet? I find it a bit odd that your vet advised calpol for a mammory lump. How old is your girl?

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 pm

She is 16 months...
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:00 am

If she is otherwise in good health i would consider having it removed, if it were my rat. Ive just sucessfully had a lump removed from a 16 month old doe who is relativly overweight despite my best efforts at getting her weight down. Its your own personal choice of course, but i wouldnt totally rule out a lumpectomy.

PurpleCatti

Post by PurpleCatti » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 am

I'd say remove it if it can be removed, the majority of prodding etc will be don under anaesthetic and you could always bring friend for her to the other appointments to calm her down.
I've had a scaredy girl rat before and I know how hard it can be to weight the benefits against the stress to the rat caused, but if she is otherwise healthy and has a happy life, even if it's mainly with other rats I'd go for it.
RIP Manolo, Blahnik, Jimmy, Choo, Sir Bartimus Bumsnake, Harpers, Queen, Oscar, Della, Renta and the rt hon Oscar II.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Ive just found one on my 2 year old female fancy to. :(