Really need some reassurance please!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Ok- long story short: Annie (17months old) went in on friday to have a mammary lump under her armpit removed. When my vet shaved her down and got stuck in they found loads and loads of absesses full of puss. He decided to drain and clear all of them and leave the other lump for another time. So she got stitched up and sent home and because he was so worried he gave me antibiotics to inject (marbocyl) and some metacam.
Yesterday morning i found her gaping open having removed her stitches. I rushed her to the vets who said because of the infection still present and the time since her last op (she was under for half an hour) that we would leave her as i have an appointment first thing tomorrow with our usual vet.

This is all good (except failed miserably at injecting today- will try later :() but i have actually convinced myself that he is gonna just take a look and put her to sleep. The vet yesterday assured me she wasnt going to fall apart but the incision (before it became a hole!) went from her leg to her belly and shes occasionaly walking with her leg stuck in the air.

Am i just being incredibly dramatic? Have been crying all afternoon lol. Does anyone else have experience of having to deal with a rat with an open wound? And injecting?!

Sorry for the long post- i would really appreciate some input.

Kitkat
Member
Member
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Kitkat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm sure he won't suggest pts don't worry (((hugs))) And if he does smack him and walk out :lol:

Can you take a pic? I might be able to reassure you more then that it's not guts you can see :wink:

Injecting - I tend to find what works best is to wrap them in a towel with their head covered. Use your left hand to hold the towel over her head and pinch the skin up and your right to put a little pressure on her back and do the injection. It is a lot to ask you to do the injections so don't feel bad if you find it hard. A lot of vets find rats difficult to inject as they're so small and wiggly. And trying to inject your own animal is always so much worse.

Just had a thought. I know your vet was keen to use injectable abs as the infection was bad. It might be worth talking to them about convenia which is an injection which lasts about a week. Perhaps they could give her that tomorrow and then give you oral marbocyl or baytril as well.

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:08 pm

I will try take a picture but im worried everyone will be like "OMG she should be at the vets" etc etc. Even though we did go!!

Im definately gonna tell the vet im not doing injections- i literally got her neck ready and had the needle ready to go in but wimped out at the last second!

Ive been reading up on here about them being fed up and picking at their wounds so im gonna go and let her play with clarabel. She went beserk when i put the cage in the same room as the others and started jumping about!

Thanks for all your help x

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:26 am

I dont know what to do today cos the vet has given her a thorough look over and has found the infection is worse and the wound is wider :(
I went in all chirpy this morning which is why i think i feel so rotten now. He has sent us home for a couple of days while she is still perky but i think we're having her pts on wednesday (he said thursday but thats my birthday :'()

Im devastated ive had her and her sister since they were 6 weeks old and im just really struggling with all the conflicting information im getting. I have to do whats best for her and right now seeing her insides all covered in pus even after strong ab's i think the vet is right.

Now- can i put her sister in with her for her final days even though theres pus present?

:(

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 am

Anything would be nice :(

User avatar
malude
Member
Member
Posts: 2423
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:05 am
Location: Norwich

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by malude » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time at the moment. I hope Annie is still feeling OK today.

I don't know for sure about putting her with her sister with regards to the pus but someone who can give you a definite answer will come along! However, I think as long as her sister doesn't have any open wounds herself via which the pus/infection could enter her system it should be OK. I imagine she would avoid grooming the open wounds on Annie partly because the pus won't taste good and also Annie might not let her get too close to the wounds due to pain. However I could be wrong about this as I'm not sure what their natural instincts tell them to do when a companion has an injury like this. Could you try and bandage around Annie's wounds so they aren't exposed? That way her sister couldn't get to them and they can be together. It might be a good idea to put them together in a small space with your supervision at first to see how they behave. I should think that having the company of her sister will cheer Annie up a lot.
I hope things go OK, let us know how you and Annie get on. Scritches :love:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

User avatar
Othere
Member
Member
Posts: 883
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:10 am
Location: Ratby, Leicestershire

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Othere » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 am

Have you tried bathing the area with saline or diluted betadine? This could help with the infection along side the ABs. The water doesn't have to be warm but tepid will probably make it a bit more pleasant. It may just help. I dont know a huge amount about the antibiotics, can they not try something along with the antibiotic you are currently using. Sounds like she has a mighty infection and maybe needs a bit more help to fight it.

Sending hugs and scritches your way.

At the Bridge: Wibble, Tamlyn, Squeeek, Squirt, Sherbet, Ozzy, Snowball, Tippy, Patches, Smudge, Tizzy, Splodge, Misty, Nutmeg, Major and Pip
'Fight the greed and the federals, fight need and the toxic spills'

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

I have decided to go get a second opinion. I trust my vet 100% but he seemed distracted this morning and failed to realise that she has only been on ABs since her operation on friday. To me that doesnt seem like long enough to fight the infection.

She is eating a bit at the moment and im going to really brave giving her an injection- im so not ready to give up on her!

Thanks guys :)

User avatar
snaisby
Member
Member
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:45 am
Location: Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by snaisby » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm

I would post this on Rat Health with piccies and see if you can get some more opinions. also there are definitely antibiotics you can sprinkle directly into infected wounds - possibly septrin? i think you are right to go for a second opinion. i'd put her back in with her sister, i don't think the infection is a risk to her unless she has any open wounds as malude said.
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

Kitkat
Member
Member
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Kitkat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Good for you :) Have you got another vet lined up for the second opinion?

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:25 pm

No i fell asleep next to her cage lol. After much fussing and stomping about clarabel finally snuggled up and they were asleep together when i woke up :love:

I haven't got a clue who to go see- and the bad thing is i got underpaid on friday when she had her op and it cost pretty much all of my money :oops:

Need to find a sympathetic and un-shockable vet! I wish there were people on here like ratgirl who live down the road so they could come and give me their expert opinions (and give her her injection lol)

Its very draining having a poorly rat my brain isnt working properly :???:

User avatar
KateR
Member
Member
Posts: 4897
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by KateR » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Sarah Brown at Holly House Vets in Roundhay, Leeds is fantastic. Could you get to her? They're open until 9pm weekdays, and are open on a Saturday too.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

I have actually read about her.

I dont know if could get over though- im panicking about going behind my other vets back! He said to bring her back but by the end of the week- i dont wanna ring and go "OH i didnt trust you ive gone elsewhere!"

Do you think if i rang my current vet and said i wanted to carry her on with the abs for a bit longer? I dont like telling him his job :lol:

Kitkat
Member
Member
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Kitkat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 pm

You're totally entitled to disagree with your vet. Don't forget they work for you so you're the one in charge. If I were you I would be inclined to tell your current vet that you want to try another antibiotic in conjunction with oral marbocyl or baytril and see how she gets on with that.

If not, asking for a second opinion is very standard and your vet should be happy to co-operate. It's not a case of distrusting them, they should understand that when you're looking at ending an animals' life you want to be absolutely sure.

User avatar
Boogle
Member
Member
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: York

Re: Really need some reassurance please!

Post by Boogle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 pm

That last line made me cry again!! Am an emotional wreck!

Which is why tomorrow when ive calmed down a bit im gonna ring my vet and just ask him to go over what he told me this morning and ask him to let me have a couple of days more anti-biotics. These havent even had a chance to work yet so by friday it will have been a weeks worth and i'll closely monitor how she is in herself.

I vaguely remember him saying something about the chances of the stitches popping again are high now because the wound is so wide? It does look like it would be quite a stretch to get her fastened up again.

I wish i hadnt got in a state at the vets!!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests