Pros and Cons of nuetering....

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
not_ginger

Re: Pros and Cons of nuetering....

Post by not_ginger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

I was more thinking of the excessive testicle sniffing actually..... :P
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

not_ginger

Update - Re: Pros and Cons of nuetering....

Post by not_ginger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

OK, so we'd seperated the boys out into two pairs; Rolly (slow silly old man) and Riddle (calmer younger boy), and Rocky (alpha, and sensible old man) with Ronan (hormonal troublemaker). This has been OK for a week or so, and we've free-ranged together to keep an eye on Ronan's behaviour. He didn't seem to be getting worse, so we thought we'd leave them as is to see if he grew out of it.

This evening when we got them out for free-range we noticed a large gash on Rocky's stomach - pretty much the same as the one on Rolly a couple of weeks ago. This time we knew for definate that it was Ronan. We left Ronan out with the other boys for a run about and he was VERY foofy and rather agressive. He even nipped me when I tried to break something up - he has never done this before. This has pretty much made our minds up that nuetering needs to be done asap.

However he still has a problem with his loud breathing and as mentioned before this may preclude him from being operated on. We're going to ring up the vets tomorrow and see what they say.

What I'd like advice on is what to do if they won't operate until he's better? I won't put him back in with either of the oldies as he's hurt them both, and I'm even reticent to put him in with his brother. As they're more evenly matched I worry that this will make things worse. At the moment he's on his own, and not happy at all. I'm just hoping his breathing isn't bad enough to be risky under anaesthetic..........

Help.
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:33 am

Not sure if you've already phoned the vets and got an answer, thought I'd mention anyway.

Both of my boys had resp issues from about 4 months, they were neutered at 16 months, by which time Rue had had... 4 or 5 times of needing treatment, and quite severe scarring left behind.

Stress from hormones can definitely make resp issues worse, which is why I had it done anyway, he came through the op brilliantly, that morning I took him in he was sounding quite awful (was borderline as to whether another active infection was starting from the sound), they were happy to continue anyway, not a single complication.

It depends how you feel, I mean time out for ABs (probably 2 - 4 weeks) plus then the op, it's a long time to be with no other rats, but I imagine there would be some increased risk, only the vet can assess how much though. Unfortunately it's not an easy choice.
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I would definitely neuter if I were you. I have started to neuter all my boys now and I think there's a huge difference in their temperament and all-round health. I initially did it for aggression, and then it was just easier as it meant I could keep them with my girls. The risks in surgery are minimal - but you have to get a rat savvy vet. Mine if brilliant and I trust him 110%, he has done 9 rat neuters for me and there has never been any problems. Your boy(s) will be so much happier for it...the only downside I can see is the cost lol!
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:58 am

Thanks for all the replies. :)

We've decided to have both the young boys done as Riddle is now starting to show the same signs of agression as Ronan did at the start. I rang up the vets on Saturday, but there were no vets free to speak to me, so I'm ringing back today. Ronan's breathing has started to improve so I'm taking this as a good sign.

I ahve to admit I feel so much better for a making a decision one way or the other!

I'll let you know what the vet says today.

Thanks again. :love:
*Angela*

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 am

I've now talked to the vet and she's happy to go ahead with the nuetering. She did say he had an increased risk, but since he's not had the breathing noises for too long there shouldn't be too much damage to his lungs. I have them booked in for Wednesday and now I'm really nervous.....
*Angela*

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:18 am

All bucks I own I castrate or have already been done -the risk is there but applies to each and every op but the benefits are great -healthwise -temperament wise and also the benefit of being able to keep mixed sex groups -the castrated bucks form close friendships and the girls love them -they make good squishy beds :lol:
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

papermoon

Post by papermoon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 am

I was wondering here.. :roll: ..there isn't a big issue to get a cat or a dog 'done'..what is wrong with castrating rats then? :roll:
Far from perfect...Slowly working on it

Karly

Post by Karly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 am

papermoon wrote:I was wondering here.. :roll: ..there isn't a big issue to get a cat or a dog 'done'..what is wrong with castrating rats then? :roll:
Because rats generally won't pull your arm off/rip through fences to mate with a bitch in season, female rats don't need to be put on house/cage arrest when they're in heat, they won't yowl the house down when in heat like cats, don't spray all over, etc. I guess?
Also operations on smaller animals used to be a bit riskier due to the anaesthetic they used I believe - now it's far safer so non-medical procedures like routine neutering is becoming more popular I think. I'm still in two minds - I trust my vets and haven't lost a rat to an op yet, but know that if I do decide to have my boys snipped for my sake and not theirs, and lost one, I would feel horribly guilty.

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:32 am

papermoon wrote:I was wondering here.. :roll: ..there isn't a big issue to get a cat or a dog 'done'..what is wrong with castrating rats then? :roll:
I always thought it was a combination of the higher risk of anaesthesia in small animals, and the fact that a rat’s physiology is different, so it's not the same procedure as castrating a cat or dog. Also, vets do cats and dogs everyday - as fewer people castrate rats it makes sense the there are fewer vets who have ever done it!

I may be entirely wrong about this, but they're the issues that made me think very hard about doing it.
*Angela*

papermoon

Post by papermoon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am

I suppose this does make sense... :rollred:

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Castration in a rat is slightly more invasive than a cat or dog due to the way the testes are situated -in a way more like a male rabbit castrate.
Cat castration is the 'easiest and doesn't need sutures at all -however although dog castration is a common op it isn't actually as
easy to perform as you might think but is widely done.
the important thing with small animal surgery is to find a good vet with experience.

papermoon

Post by papermoon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Are there any age limits when castrating male rats? (I'm genuinely interested as I mainly keep girls so plz don't get me wrong).

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:29 pm

as in too young /too old ?
from a vet point of view if the testicles are obvious they can be castrated -youngest age normally about 8 weeks again from a vet point of view
I once asked my vet if an old buck should be castrated -his reply was if he was healthy otherwise and it was needed then yes as the same op would be performed if the rat has testicular cancer .

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Having spoken to my vets about this (getting 3 baby boys who I'll be neutering soon), they're happy to neuter from 10 weeks, only wait until then as a lower anesthetic risk which being that bit older.

I know my vets are happy to routinely do bucks up to about 2 or so providing they're healthy (and weren't worried about 1 of mine at 16 months having lung scarring), but they've done rats older so they can go and live with girls instead of being alone or for health reasons.

I would agree a good vets are essential, I've seen... 4 or 5, maybe more of the vets at the surgery I use now and all of them have a good understanding of things with rats, meds etc, I'd say they must see quite a few rats and maybe have extra training? But only 1 or 2 of them currently do the surgeries routinely, from what I've gathered the other vets there are shown how to do it so more can if needed. It's like anything though, much easier to watch a few times so you know 100% what goes on and maybe observe any minor complications.
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.