Euthanasia methods?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Neotoma

Re: Euthanasia methods?

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 pm

My current vet won't do a final injection without prior anesthetic as he says there is potential for signficant burning sensation from the chemical - it's not an injection site issue, it's a those chemicals without prior anesthesia issue.

I had a few pts by sedative injection then final injection. Some were incredibly peaceful, but two reacted very badly to the sedative and became disoriented rather than falling asleep (and it wasn't an incorrect dose). I'd still consider this method where the vet won't let me out the back to be with them with gas, or if there are good reasons for not using gas.

All my recent boys have been done by gas anaesthesia, followed by injection into the heart or stomach (depends on the vet). We've done it with a mask so far (bigger mask appears better) - however having now watched one of my boys being anaesthetised for an eye exam, I think a box or chamber might be better, even though it means I'm not holding them.

Officially clients are not allowed out the back for the anaesthetic (it's a health and safety thing) - however I promised my vet I wouldn't sue him if I fainted, and he put a note on my file saying I should be allowed.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Yes it is a health and Safety issue -tbh they are really really fussy (not necessarily a bad thing but sometimesa bit OTT )
The other issue with gassing down is that if rat is struggling to breathe it can cause more distress.
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Yep, in that situation, I'd probably go for an injectable anaesthetic - the ultimate decision depends on the rat and what's wrong with it. But all else being equal I currently prefer gas, because when the sedative went wrong it really went wrong.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Neotoma wrote:Yep, in that situation, I'd probably go for an injectable anaesthetic - the ultimate decision depends on the rat and what's wrong with it. But all else being equal I currently prefer gas, because when the sedative went wrong it really went wrong.
Agreed -mainly because all of us react differently to anaesthesia -I take ages for a premed to work :o
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:34 pm

I've had two rats pts by an injection into the abdomen with no prior sedation, and both were very straightforward with no distress caused. I think one may have squeaked when injected, but this was just a minor protest (which I took to indicate discomfort/brief pain rather than severe pain). I was allowed to hold them both while they were injected and the injection had very different effects. One girl died almost immediately, the other remained concious for a while and basically settled down in my arms and drifted off to sleep. She was injected again later once she was heavily unconcious as her heart was still beating.

I don't think I would be comfortable with this method with an inexperienced vet though, and I feel very lucky to have only had such peaceful experiences of pts compared to those mentioned by some people earlier in this thread :cry:
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow: