Zymbals Gland Tumours

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
petrify

Zymbals Gland Tumours

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am

Having recently lost Tom to this hideous thing, I have discovered Ember this morning with a lump in the same place, of the same hardness and she is also exhibiting the same symptoms. Its a much smaller lump at the moment, but at the rate Tom's grew I think that she'll be sleeping in a month.

Now, is this condition hereditary? Tom is Embers nephew effectively. Just wondering if I should be ready to expect this in my whole brood or not.

Also, is there any point seeing a vet about it as I know what it is and nothing is going to treat it.

I feel so disheartened at the moment. I know that when I kept the two accidental litters, people on here (wise people) said that they would all die about the same time. Well, so far its almost one a month this year. Me and Ember have been making such progress with her shyness recently, completely sucks that she may have to leave me soon too.
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

Rhi01

Re: Zymbals Gland Tumours

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:19 am

Toby has this. We have found that no antibiotics have worked. I've also done research at work (I work at a vets) and have found that there's nothing really to be done (this was also backed up by members of the NFRS) except keep them comfortable until its time to PTS.

I'm so sorry your going through this again :(
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am

I know it's not easy to see in this photo, but a lump a bit like this (under her right ear)?:

Snippet has had 2 lumps like this now, and they've both healed up fine. I hope your girl doesn't have a ZGT
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

petrify

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

yea, exactely like that.

what did you use antibiotic wise to sort them?
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 pm

she was on 0.4ml baytril a day, split into 2 doses. She only weighs 250g, so it was a pretty high dose for her. She was also put under for an xray and a FNA to work out exactly what it was. The Xray couldn't see anything, and the FNA said the lump contained bacteria, necrotic tissue and white blood cells.
Cara,

petrify

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm

just baytril? wow ok. well, ill give it a go. shes got a vets for wednesday.

see Tom had 0.4mls of synolux twice a day for two weeks. nothing happened. infact, it grew, and turned out to be a tumour.

your girlie, does she have any other symptoms apart from the lump, like head shaking, excessive scratching of her ear? its just my girl does, and im so worried :( thanks for your responses by the way, muchly helpful :)

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Toby doesn't have any of those symptoms only a funny smell and a discharge.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

petrify

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Tom shook his head toward the end, but yes, the smell and discharge was there, but he also had bleeding out of ear.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:11 pm

She always scratches her ears, but she alway has done, so I'm not to worried about that. She has been treated for mites, so I think she's just picking her ears :sickrat: . She has a slightly funny smell coming from her ears but no lump at all, so I don't know what's going on there, and the vet can't see anything wrong like an ear infection.
Cara,

petrify

Post by petrify » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Just gave Embie a smell and theres nothing untoward there. I noticed with Toms that the smell was there really before the lump...so maybe my girlie has a chance. fingers crossed eh? Thanks both x

Gee

Post by Gee » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 pm

We have a boy Belial who started off with discharge in his ear which was treated with Baytril. He then got a lump like yours & when I touched it his ear filled with puss. Hes now on Septrin, the lump has gone down a lot & we appear to get no more discharge or puss. The smell is still there though. Hes always been one to shake his head though so thats not unusual. We're taking it day by day & doing the best we can.

Our rats were all around the same age & we have lost 4 since October. Its so upsetting but knowing we have given them a lovely home helps.
Anneke :girly: Liz :girly: Candice :dumbogirly: Brody :girly:
RIP Tarja.Annette.Emily.Harald.Belial.Sally.Elric.Thor.Florence. & Missy the hamster!

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my 27 month old, Scamp. His started with a bad smell in his right ear, the small amounts of pus, he itches his ear a lot and shakes his head. Off to the vet, and we were given 0.4ml baytril to give twice a day for 2 weeks. No improvement and I noticed a hard lump about 4 days ago, plus increased pus. Went to the vets again today and have been given 1ml septrin to give once a day for 2 weeks. The vet said it might possibly be a tumour due to the feel of it, and said it would be inoperable due to its location. So sorry to hear your rats are all suffering through the same thing :(
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

Gee

Post by Gee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Gee wrote:We have a boy Belial who started off with discharge in his ear which was treated with Baytril. He then got a lump like yours & when I touched it his ear filled with puss. Hes now on Septrin, the lump has gone down a lot & we appear to get no more discharge or puss. The smell is still there though. Hes always been one to shake his head though so thats not unusual. We're taking it day by day & doing the best we can.

Our rats were all around the same age & we have lost 4 since October. Its so upsetting but knowing we have given them a lovely home helps.
Wrong!!! I just got Belial out to give him his Septrin early as we are going out tonight, had a feel then a clean with a damp cotton wool pad & more grainy puss came out, both inside his ear & from where a scab came out on the outside. Hes not a happy boy but hes now had his Septrin in chocolate baby food & some Calprofen as well as hes a little puffed up...AND my chest is scratched to pieces....now to find something suitable to wear out tonight!
RIP Tarja.Annette.Emily.Harald.Belial.Sally.Elric.Thor.Florence. & Missy the hamster!

petrify

Post by petrify » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:33 pm

jennifer-rat wrote:Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my 27 month old, Scamp. His started with a bad smell in his right ear, the small amounts of pus, he itches his ear a lot and shakes his head. Off to the vet, and we were given 0.4ml baytril to give twice a day for 2 weeks. No improvement and I noticed a hard lump about 4 days ago, plus increased pus. Went to the vets again today and have been given 1ml septrin to give once a day for 2 weeks. The vet said it might possibly be a tumour due to the feel of it, and said it would be inoperable due to its location. So sorry to hear your rats are all suffering through the same thing :(
Oh no, I'm sorry about that hun xxx

Its a horrid thing :( Embie is all booked in for tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing that can be done although it doesnt seem to be growing as fast, but I'm sure thats the tumour trying to lure me into a false sense of security. It feels the same as Toms did early on and I'm not that optimistic that it is something else. At least all of them have had a fab life with me, and I've have a fab life with them.

Gee, sorry to hear about your boy. Hope he is less puss-filled soon xx

Gee

Post by Gee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

petrify wrote:Gee, sorry to hear about your boy. Hope he is less puss-filled soon xx
I'm still hoping in a way its an absess but its too much like a Zymbals Tumour.

Sorry to hear about your little one as well.

I forget everytime to put a high neck top on! Probably the only time I didn't have scratches on my chest was when I got married & was determined it wasn't going to show above my dress! Now I am off to a gig looking like I've had a fight with a rose bush!