Lump in groin of female rat

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratty lover0099

Lump in groin of female rat

Post by ratty lover0099 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:29 pm

I thought I felt a lump on one of my girlies a few days ago, but couldn't see it, and then last night I spotted it, it's about the size of a petite poi (garden pea) and right on her lady bits and pieces. She isn't bleeding, and is still toileting fine, eating drinking as normal. She is a rescue girl, and was approx 6 months old when I got her which would make her 2 in May (being rescue she could be a little older.

I had a fee of her sister and I swear I can feel the same thing as I did with Echo....so will have a good look at her tonight too.

They will obviously be going to the vets ASAP, but have never had any lumps right on that area, usually to the side...what do we reckon? Ovaries? Would they spay her to, or hysterectomy? Can they even do that on rats? :-|
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

Karly

Re: Lump in groin of female rat

Post by Karly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:43 pm

I had a rat with a lump here and the vet told me that the mammary tissue reaches all the way down there. I'd decided not to have it operated on due to the rat's general health so waited until her quality of life was affected - due to the location, it began pressing on her bladder and she was always wet down there, as well as losing a lot of condition, so that's when I called it a day. Rat surgery has come a long way since then though and you've caught it small so I'd see if your vet is happy to operate it it were my rat. Some people do have their rats spayed at the same time as a lumpectomy in the hope it will prevent any future tumours, but this is worth discussing with your vet to see if they're happy doing that.

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply Karly, I guess it would make sense that the mammary tissue reaches down that far, Echo's health is quite good, has an occasional grunty noise but has never needed treatment, it's so few and far between.

I've not got good history of rats with lumps, so will probably have it operated on next week as I'm off work. I guess that gives me a few days to see if Wispa decides to copy her sister!

Is the spay as invasive as I've read?
Karen.
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

Karly

Post by Karly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:12 pm

I've not had a doe spayed but hopefully someone with experience will be along to give some advice :)

mcfadyen

Post by mcfadyen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 am

Spays are invasive as they involve going into the abdominal cavity and removing the entire uterus. Whereas mammary lumps are just under the skin and relatively easy to remove. I've had one doe, Bipper, spayed through necessity at 19 months old (she had an infection) and, personally, I would not do it as a 'routine' operation. Bipper made a full recovery but has since had another op (last month) - to remove a mammary tumour!

I am not a great believer in spaying to prevent tumours but, from what I've read, it's better to spay the doe when she less than 6 months old. Personally, I wouldn't spay a two year old rat in an attempt to lessen the risk of tumours. But that's just my personal opinion.

Mammary tumours around the genitals can be difficult to deal with. In my experiences over the years lumps in this area tend to appear after the more a-typical lumps in the armpits, sides and groin areas - I've never had to have such a lump removed as all (well, three) of my does that have got lumps in this area had already had at least two other lumps removed elsewhere and where reaching the end of their lives because they had lumps everywhere.

Othere

Post by Othere » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm

I dealt with a lump in the groin area in one of my does some years ago. It caused a lot of problems and abscessed a lot. Not sure if it was just due to this particular lump or something else. We bathed the area twice a day with diluted betadine which seemed to do the trick but it took some time to heal fully.

One of my girls is booked in for Monday for a lump removal - I'm hoping we will get all of it out but it may be a case of just managing the lump. None of the vets I saw last year wanted to remove it but it's gotten a bit larger now and looks uncomfortable so I'm having it removed.

At the Bridge: Wibble, Tamlyn, Squeeek, Squirt, Sherbet, Ozzy, Snowball, Tippy, Patches, Smudge, Tizzy, Splodge, Misty, Nutmeg, Major and Pip
'Fight the greed and the federals, fight need and the toxic spills'

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 am

Wispa has a lump as I suspected. It's in pretty much the same place as her sister. :-| :-|
Karen.

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 am

The girls had a vet appointment today, Echo's lump is inoperable, he had a good feel, it sort of spreads from her bits to her leg. Around her leg is fine, but as soon as you move your fingers to feel around it around her lady bits, it's very attatched.

Wispa's lump feels better, and he reckons he could remove that. However I've decided against it for now, purely because, if they both have lumps, it's likely that it is just something they will be plagued with, and even if Wispa's is removed safely, it will probably crop back up. And that's even if it can be removed, once he gets in there, he might find it more attatched, because it's in pretty much the same location as Echo's.

Plus, I don't want either girl to b alone, I'm going to spoil them rotten, and let them both go when it's time.
Karen.

Karly

Post by Karly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am

ratty lover0099 wrote:The girls had a vet appointment today, Echo's lump is inoperable, he had a good feel, it sort of spreads from her bits to her leg. Around her leg is fine, but as soon as you move your fingers to feel around it around her lady bits, it's very attatched.

Wispa's lump feels better, and he reckons he could remove that. However I've decided against it for now, purely because, if they both have lumps, it's likely that it is just something they will be plagued with, and even if Wispa's is removed safely, it will probably crop back up. And that's even if it can be removed, once he gets in there, he might find it more attatched, because it's in pretty much the same location as Echo's.

Plus, I don't want either girl to b alone, I'm going to spoil them rotten, and let them both go when it's time.
I wouldn't assume this just from two litter mates having lumps - sometimes coincidences like this happen, and the majority of lumps in rats are benign so there's a good chance Wispa's lump wouldn't return.
Obviously it's a hard decision given the location of the lump but I definately wouldn't rule it out because it might return.

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

No, from what the vet said he feels Echo's wouldn't be benign, and Wispa's is hard to tell. He said he would remove Wispa's for me but he couldn't tell me until he was in there what was going on, but it wasn't as attatched as Echo's.

The girls are rescues, and I was told they were 6 months when I re-homed them, which makes them 2 in a month. I know age isn't everything, but cetainly age isn't on their side, if you get what I mean!

Echo's I can't do anything about, so she is looking at being PTS when it all gets to much, this could be in a few weeks, or she might cope fine and still be here in 3 months. Who knows? Wispa could have the operation, and then be faced with losing her sister, which may hinder her recovery. I've had alot of rats with lumps and alot of those lumps removed, sometimes 2 or 3 times over on the same rat.

I just don't want 2 rescue girls, who only know each other, and me (they weren't to trusting of humans when I re-homed them, and Echo still squeals in strange hands) to go through any period of time on their own. It's happened before and I swore I'd never let any rat be faced with that again.

If they could both be operated on I'd jump at the chance, but they can't, and I know deep down I've made the right desicion, however hard it is.

:)
Karen.