Another persistant resp problem

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
jennifer-rat

Another persistant resp problem

Post by jennifer-rat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Ok - took Stuart, Carrot and Jasper to the vets about 8 days ago as they had all begun with resp symptoms (Jasper and Carrot had begun with the symptons first and had already had a course of baytril which didn't improve them at all, and then Stuart began with similar symptoms). They were started on a long course of doxycycline and baytril, with bisolvon. Stuart's breathing cleared up brilliantly (although he was PTS today due to a severe PT :( ), as did Carrots. Jasper has just seemed to get worse, and I rushed him to the vets along with Stuart today as he had begun gasping for air and his chest sounded awful. The vet suspected fluid in his lungs so gave him a frusimide injection, and listening to him tonight, it hasn't really helped. He's not had another gasping attack but he still sounds as squeaky/snuffly as ever. I was advised to bring him back for a steroid injection tomorrow if the frusimide didn't work, so I'll be doing that. He's also developed a dark patch on one of his eyes, and both of his eyes seem quite dry. Is this related or is it a completely different problem? Also, if the steroid injection doesn't work, what should I ask for next? I've gone from 5 to 2 in 3 months, and I really couldn't cope losing another. :cry:
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

jennifer-rat

Re: Another persistant resp problem

Post by jennifer-rat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 am

Vets appt at 9.30 this morning as Jasper's breathing has gotten worse overnight, so any help on this would be great! Thanks :)
Jen, plus:

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Jasper had another frusimide jab and a steroid jab this morning, along with a course of bronchiodilator, and there's been a small improvement on this morning breathing so fingers crossed!
Jen, plus:

Ghostlove

Post by Ghostlove » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm glad he seems to be improving, sending lots of healthy-ratty vibes your way! :love:
Anji, with Lyta, Talia, Ivanova, Na'toth, Delenn, Angua, Cheri and Perdita. :girly:
:rainbow: Playing at the bridge: Suki, Aiko, Alyx, Lyta, Leia, Isis, Bert, Ernie, Elmo, Eddie, Oscar, Agnes, Magrat, Esme, Rosie, Gytha and Mr Jingles (mouse). :rainbow:

lynnb

Post by lynnb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 am

Haven't any advice sorry, you seem to be doing everything possible, just wanted to send Jasper some love and scritches. :love:
Lynn - http://serenityrats.webs.com/
The boys and girls who live in Serenity.
Always loved and remembered - Dave, Chaz, Dec, Robin, Tone, Squeak, Corby, Freddy, Mark, Alfie, Zak, Kaiser, Dylan, Baxter, Jack, Harry H, Ash, Albert and Layla.

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks guys :D
He had another gasping attack last night and some steam therapy seemed to help, but this morning after taking his bronchiodilator again he seems to be improved, breathing is still laboured but silent.
Jen, plus: