Urgent - severe respiratory distress

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
jennifer-rat

Urgent - severe respiratory distress

Post by jennifer-rat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm

As some of you may know, Jasper's been ill with a serious resp infection. He's on doxy/baytril, bisolvon, and a bronchiodilator. He's also had 2 frusimide injections, one yesterday and one today, and a steroid injection today. He's in severe respiratory distress currently - I can't get any of his meds into him as he's so preoccupied with his breathing that he won't eat anything, and syringing meds into him just stresses him and makes his breathing worse. He's had his dose of baytril this evening and about half his dose of bronchiodilator, but nothing else. He's also been in the bathroom in a carrier while I ran a very hot bath, the steam seems to have helped for a bit but now he's returned to his previous bad breathing. His chest has also begun clicking quite loudly, he's lethargic and straining his neck out to breathe with his eyes squinted. I'm quite upset because he's obviously distressed and nothing I'm doing seems to be helping. Could I cover the carrier in a blanket and add a few puffs of my salbutamol inhaler? There must be something that can ease his breathing a bit :cry: Any help or support would be great about now, I really am at the end of my tether.
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

Carlito

Re: Urgent - severe respiratory distress

Post by Carlito » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 am

Sorry for the late reply. I'm pretty sure clicking noises = bad news. Has there been any improvement? And could it be possible he's choking, like has he eaten anything recently?

Molly choked the other day and made weird gurgling noises (not clicking though), strained her neck out straight and was too busy trying to breathe to take even a few drops of water from me. I could be totally wrong with the choking guess though, it just sounded familiar.

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 am

How is he? You can use salbutamol but it sounded like he really needed to be back at the vet for antibiotic/other injections.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 am

He seems to have calmed considerably over the course of the night, but his breathing is still pretty shocking. He's been on baytril/doxy for 10 days now and there's been no real improvement, he just seems to keep going downhill. Any idea what to ask for when he goes to the vets again? I'm at a loss, really. :-?
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.