Urgent- Baby damaged hind leg

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
RattyRenton

Urgent- Baby damaged hind leg

Post by RattyRenton » Fri May 21, 2010 4:49 pm

One of my babies, who's 9-10 weeks, has very badly damaged one of his hind legs. This was on Tuesday 18th. He has what look like bite marks, the leg has swollen to more than twice its normal size and he can't put any weight on it at all. The vet gave him injections of Baytril and Metacam on Wednesday and it's now Friday and his leg is exactly the same. I suspect it's broken. He's too tiny to be operated on and if the vet agrees that it's broken then I am having him put to sleep. He's in immense pain and I'm not having him suffer any longer.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was the outcome? Was it simply a bad bite and took a while for the swelling to go down and for the rat to use the leg again? Or does it sound like it's broken?
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

pineappletastic

Re: Urgent- Baby damaged hind leg

Post by pineappletastic » Fri May 21, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't have any experience but I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your baby.
I have heard of rats that have had limbs amputated and gone on to lead normal happy lives, I'm not a vet so I can't say how small is too small, but I'm sure I've heard of rats that age having operations before. Also could you not give him more metacam or something orally for the pain in the meantime? I gave Castor childern's strawberry neurofen when he hurt his tail, I know a broken leg is worse, but anything that helps must be better than nothing? Dosages can be found on rat guide.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be along shortly to help out. Fingers crossed for you x
Andrea
Owned by Nestor, until I can get him back home.
Missing Castor and Pollux, Del Boy and Rodney, and Orpheus.

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 pm

why would it be broken ?if there are bite wounds then much more likely badly infected.
I wouldn't PTS until you are sure it can't be fixed -even broken bones can mend -i agree if the infection is in the bone or the leg is badly broken it could be a case for amputation -he's old enough to survive an op with an experienced vet -i would make sure he gets the right antibio for the infection and sufficient pain killer.
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I've just emailed you back and then spotted this, I haven't seen him but I don't think it's a lost cause yet. Broken or bitten legs should heal and even if the worst came to the worst and he had to have it amputated, being on 3 legs shouldn't impair his quality of life too much!
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for your replies everyone.

He's going back to the vets on Wednesday, will see how he goes till then. His leg is still the same at the moment. If it comes to it I will consider amputation, he's still getting about alright now so I'm sure he'll be fine with 3 legs.

I'm going to look up the dosage of feline Metacam for him, which I've got in anyway for my cat.

Thanks again
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sat May 22, 2010 9:49 am

From the info page on Metacam I can give him one drop per day, which is about 0.05ml, he's about 230g, does that sound about right? Saying that, that refers to Metacam for dogs, the stuff for cats isn't as strong. But even one drop would help wouldn't it?
Heather x

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sat May 22, 2010 8:06 pm

on the metacam question - your calculations sound about right. one of our rats gets 1-2 drops per day, that's about 0.05 ml. and he weighs 430g so with your little one a drop should be fine!
:love: The rat pack: Terrah, Olli, Ted and Banksy.
:love: Bruce, Billy and Basil - Forever in our hearts and sorely missed.

nette

Post by nette » Sat May 22, 2010 8:33 pm

i had a rat with a broken leg but i knew it was broke because the bone was sticking out of the leg. personally i dont think its broken just very badly bruised which i have also had and it did stay swollen for 10 days if not longer so try not to panic , do you have any calpol or other kids pain relief you can give for the pain also if he needs more bayril ask for it to give oral not injected keep him in a small cage so he doesnt have to much space so he can rest

this is the link to breeze and her broken leg who now is back on her favorite silent spinner as though nothing has happened and she also took part in the agility at the yrc on the 17th may

good luck :luck:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... lit=breeze
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 pm

One of my girls fell out of a first story window and broke her left hind leg when she was 4 months old. She's 10 months old now (nearly 11) and the swelling still hasn't gone completely. She wasn't using it at all when we caught her. She was given 1 drop of metacam every other day (and baytril as she'd been outside for a while) and she was putting weight on it after about a week. She still has a bit of a limp, but I don't think that's going to go now.

Here are some photos I took of her leg 2 months after she broke it

Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

MACDONALDO67

Post by MACDONALDO67 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:27 am

Heather how did the baby rat get on?
Girls - Buffy, Sweep, Pepper, Elf, Tinsel, Pinza, Melon, Papaya.

Boys - Nimbus, Raven, Oscar, Zorro, Ollie, Hercules, Anson, Hermes, Rory, Ralph, Hector.

The Afterlife - :halo:Caramel, :halo:Snickers, :halo:Fudge, :halo:Berry, :halo:Cherry,