stress? URGENT RESPONSE PLEASE

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratlover071809

stress? URGENT RESPONSE PLEASE

Post by ratlover071809 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:37 am

Our albino rattie Bella was showing signs of what I thought to be an URI, but the vet at our local exotic pet store said that after observing her she did not show any signs of wheezing, fever, or eye/nose discharge. Tonight when we had her out playing with her I noticed she was sneezing again frequently (when we picked her up from the vet she seemed fit as a fiddle and happy and alert) Am I being paranoid about our baby or do I need to take her to see the vet again separately from the pet store? I'm unsure what to think since she seemed fine when we picked her up, but she is sleeping a lot. She is eating normally. We had Claire (our other rattie) out this evening and when I went to trade off for one one one time, she was eating. I sat on the floor and watched her for a bit and she was moving around alert and drinking too. I'm really not sure what to think and if I should go with my gut on this issue. I did notice she has a small amount of discharge around her eyes, but she is cleaning it off. I isolated her this evening just to be certain, but part of me thinks it could just be stress from leaving the pet store, coming home with us, then going back again and seeing the vet only to return back to her home. I know moving a rattie around (especially a young one like her) can cause stress. I know she is terrified of our dogs and I do my best to keep them away from her, since I don't want them to stress her out any more than they already do. Its kind of difficult to do though since their cage is in our bedroom beside our desk. Since I work from home I figured this was the best place to put it so that I can give them extra attention and they are in a fairly active room. I'm debating moving them to our guest room since the dogs aren't allowed in there, its relatively quiet and my husband and I both spend a lot of time in there too. (We have another office set up in there for my husband to do his writing in! :lol: )

At any rate, what do you guys think? Should I wait a little while and see if she gets worse/ better? Should I take her to another vet?
2 girl ratties- Bella and Claire

daffee

Re: stress? URGENT RESPONSE PLEASE

Post by daffee » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:18 am

It sounds likely to be a reaction to all of the upheaval, especially as she's already seen a vet. Just keep an eye on her, and don't separate her from her friend. :girly:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

ratlover071809

Re: stress? URGENT RESPONSE PLEASE

Post by ratlover071809 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:31 am

Thanks for the advice! I just moved Bella back in with Claire and I am going to wait it out until Monday. Our vet is closed on Sundays anyway, so she would not even be able to be seen until Monday anyway. I'm a little less concerned than I was earlier because she isn't wheezing and was moving about her cage earlier. She may just be a little more nocturnal than Claire. and she may just need to get used to the activity in our house, since its always really busy here! :-?
2 girl ratties- Bella and Claire