Crusty eyes

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratlover071809

Crusty eyes

Post by ratlover071809 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 am

Poor Bella, she seems to be the one I'm most concerned about. She has had terrible trouble adapting to living with us!! :-( My husband and I went away for the night last night and came back today. I noticed she has some eye gunk built up on her fur. Should I be worried about this? The wheezing mentioned before has stopped but she is back to sneezing again (admittedly less than before) and is eating and drinking just fine. She is more active than before, but again I'm just not sure about the eye crust! I hate to mover her again if it is going to stress her. Any advice is appreciated.
2 girl ratties- Bella and Claire

Othere

Re: Crusty eyes

Post by Othere » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 am

Is the crusty stuff red/reddish in colour?
If it is then it is most likely porphyrin. This is usually an indicator that they are sick or stressed, though I have found some rats tend to produce it more than others (a couple of my pews have had this).

Sneezes are common for the first couple of days in a new home, if they continue then it can be an indicator of a respiratory problem. Is she making piggy noises or sound like a coffee percolator?

If she seems otherwise happy in herself, I would see how she goes today and then book a vet appointment if she deteriorates or seems in distress. The fact that she is eating and drinking fine suggest that she is ok, so I would just keep an eye on her :)

At the Bridge: Wibble, Tamlyn, Squeeek, Squirt, Sherbet, Ozzy, Snowball, Tippy, Patches, Smudge, Tizzy, Splodge, Misty, Nutmeg, Major and Pip
'Fight the greed and the federals, fight need and the toxic spills'

ratlover071809

Post by ratlover071809 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 pm

No piggy noises. :-) Hubby said that this morning when he got her out she still had crust around her eyes, but it seemed to be less. Maybe she was just stressed because we were gone for the night? have you guys ever experienced any problems when going away, even if for one night? I had a friend look in on them while we were gone too. He said they seemed to be just fine when I asked him if he had any trouble. I never thought I'd worry this much over a pet!!! :-? :love:
2 girl ratties- Bella and Claire

Othere

Post by Othere » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:17 am

What sort of bedding have you got them on?

At the Bridge: Wibble, Tamlyn, Squeeek, Squirt, Sherbet, Ozzy, Snowball, Tippy, Patches, Smudge, Tizzy, Splodge, Misty, Nutmeg, Major and Pip
'Fight the greed and the federals, fight need and the toxic spills'