Growing Tumor!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
cheetahfetus

Growing Tumor!

Post by cheetahfetus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:01 am

My dumbo fancy rat, JigglyPuff developed this rather large tumor almost over night! i check all four of my rats regularly for tumors because i know theyre almost two years old, so this thing grew as large as it is now in almost three days. i was just wondering if anyone has seen this before, knows what it is, and any suggestions as to what i can do to help it without going to the vet. pretty much any advice would help right now!! shes my little love and i want to make her life as comfortable as possible! thanks, Abby.

Luxus Rattery

Re: Growing Tumor!

Post by Luxus Rattery » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 am

Our pet shop doe has a lump that is perhaps a bit lower than this but fast growing. We have been told that it is inoperable by the vet because of it's connection to things that are down in that area. She is on pain medication but I'm afraid, for her, it will be an issue of quality of life and she will be PTS when the time comes.

However, I think (and I'm not a vet) yours could possibly be a mammory tumour. I would definitely take her to the vets and see what they think though.

Emma
Emma Smith
Luxus rattery
http://www.wix.com/luxusrattery/luxus

KateR

Post by KateR » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 am

Looks mammary, we've had a couple in the same spot and they were easily removed.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 am

KateR wrote:Looks mammary, we've had a couple in the same spot and they were easily removed.
I've also had two does with lumps down there - very close to bums, but removed with no probs. Well the second one has gone in today, so fingers crossed!
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

cheetahfetus

Post by cheetahfetus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! It still appears to be getting bigger and I've noticed J.P. is looking thinner than the other girls. Is that part of it to? I've never had this happen before :( what happens next? Would taking her to the petsmart vet be okay? about how much do you think that would cost to have it removed? (if possible)

Thanks again!,
Abby & JigglyPuff

iadorerats

Post by iadorerats » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:31 pm

I had a doe called Snowflake, she was 2years old, I have had 6 now, she had a large tumor grow, I dont know how to cure it but I went to the vet, she estimated £70.00 bill, this will get rid of the tumor but it will grow back bit like bursting a wart with a pin, it doesn't stop it, Snowflake survived 1 month after the tumor was found but us, a little late i must say it was slightly smaller than a table tennis ball, it was actually my sisters, of which I was close to but not looking after, the best thing to do is to get medicine to stop any discomfort and have lots of bedding, keep away from rats that may try to play/playfight with her and let her relax and take her out to play 2 times a day to stop getting bored, put food and drink on bottom floor to prevent difficulty climbing with lump. Im sorry to hear about it and I hope she will get better soon.

iadorerats
iadorerats-pixie,snacks,trixie,pip. Happy to help and ask...

Button

Post by Button » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:33 pm

cheetahfetus wrote:Thanks for all the feedback! It still appears to be getting bigger and I've noticed J.P. is looking thinner than the other girls. Is that part of it to? I've never had this happen before :( what happens next? Would taking her to the petsmart vet be okay? about how much do you think that would cost to have it removed? (if possible)

Thanks again!,
Abby & JigglyPuff
Give the vet a call and see if they have experience operating on rats (or look on the Cavy rescue website to find recommended vet in your area). Different vets charge different amounts so it's hard to give you an idea of cost, I live in London and it costs me about £100 fo a lump removal but I wouldn't let anyone else operate on mine. If the vet is happy to do the operation I would go for it, one of my girls has had 7 lumps removed and has always recovered well.

Good luck and scritches to JigglyPuff