elderly rat...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
kooksattheranch

elderly rat...

Post by kooksattheranch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:08 pm

hi there

found this site as have been concerned about my lil old man. he seems to have lost weight over the past few weeks. he is 2 1/2 yrs old and was quite beefy. he loves his food! sure he is eating as much though he is drinking more. just over a week ago he had a lice infestation which got promptly treated by the vet and lots of lice combing from me. he is now clear. i did take a urine sample in today to check for diabetes but it came back clear. he has lost weight round the back end. is this because he is struggling with his back legs? i have put everything on one level for him and give him bit of massage every night.or should i be concerned about kidney disease? my vets say to wait and see but i wonder whether to put him on the kidney diet on this site? if so what is dosage of vit b complex mentioned or make of it? same question about Glucosamine and Chondroitin?
any help would be appreciated. i would like to improve on his quality and time of life

liz

vivree

Re: elderly rat...

Post by vivree » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 am

Have you tried giving him wet food occaisonally? I know they're usually very enthusiastic about this, and I think it's a good way to build up their weight/strength.

joolzratbag

Re: elderly rat...

Post by joolzratbag » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:33 pm

kooksattheranch wrote:hi there
he seems to have lost weight over the past few weeks. he is 2 1/2 yrs old and was quite beefy. he loves his food! sure he is eating as much though he is drinking more....
i did take a urine sample in today to check for diabetes but it came back clear. he has lost weight round the back end. is this because he is struggling with his back legs?
these are symptoms of kidney failure rather than diabetes, you can read info here:
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/kidney.shtml

and the kidney friendly diet is here:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... kidneydiet
~Joolz~
Bonny :dumbogirly: Annee :dumbogirly:
RIP all those before them <:3 )~~~
Rat Health