Sushi - gone down hill again, possibly the end

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
pitterpat

Sushi - gone down hill again, possibly the end

Post by pitterpat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I posted a couple of weeks ago about one of my girls, Sushi. At the time we thought she might have a pt, she'd quickly lost the use of her back legs - however after a visit to the vet and a steriod injection she really picked up and was nearly back to her old self - climbing and running everywhere.

Last week she started to slightly drag one of her back legs and I felt a small lump on her throat, by the next day the lump had grown quite a lot and felt quite nobbly so we went back to the vets. Vet thought the lump was her lymph glands. Sushi had another steriod injection and an antibiotic injection. The vet said she wasn't sure what the problem was and that we should treat any symptoms that came up as and when, however she said the outlook probably wasn't good.

Last night I got Sushi out for some free range time on my bed. She seemed ok, was scurrying everywhere however one of her back legs looked like it was occasionally/slightly starting to drag again. She seemed ok this morning when I checked her and was in one of the beds with the other girls. I didn't get home till late tonight, when I went to check on the girls Sushi was lying sprawled on the bottom of the cage - normally she star-fishes on the bars when i go into the room, but tonight she wasn't moving, just lying there. I picked her up, she was quite floppy, had a lot of porphryn (sp) round her eyes and nose.

She can't use her back legs at all now, there just doesn't seem to be any movement there. She's been sitting on my chest for most of the evening, i've been stroking her and she's been boggling away which is breaking my heart. I'm going to book her into the vets for tomorrow, she doesn't seem to be in any pain and doesn't appear distressed at all. She's had some baby porridge and a drink. If she's no better tomorrow (i'm guessing she's going to be worse) i'm not sure what to do... should I let her have another steroid injections or am i being cruel and should i let her go whilst she doesn't seem to be in any pain?

I'm sorry about the essay but i just don't know what to do for the best... she's such a lovely little girl :cry:

xx
Freya
----------
Girlies: Sen, Sashimi, Wanda & Squishy
Boysies: Horatio, Hermes, Gulliver, Quill, Mort, Errol, Fable & Puck
R.I.P. Sushi, Igor, Bellarix and Keith xxx

bovril

Re: Sushi - gone down hill again, possibly the end

Post by bovril » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Pitterpat, I can't help except to say-I feel so sorry for you and poor Sushi, I'd take her the vets,You will know in your heart what is best for your lovely girl Sushi when you get there. Just be strong for both of you, Good Luck to you and poor little Sushi. :girly:

vivree

Post by vivree » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 am

Aww, I'm sorry to hear she's unwell. Good luck at the vets. xx

pitterpat

Post by pitterpat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 am

Thank you for your replies xx

I've called the vets, they said to bring her in at 8:45am but i may go a bit earlier, she still can't move her back legs at all, its awful she's trying to move but can't. She's had a little drink but doesn't want anything to eat. I'm so upset.
Freya
----------

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:03 am

pitterpat wrote:Thank you for your replies xx

I've called the vets, they said to bring her in at 8:45am but i may go a bit earlier, she still can't move her back legs at all, its awful she's trying to move but can't. She's had a little drink but doesn't want anything to eat. I'm so upset.
Good luck at the vets! I hope everything works out fine. Good luck to both you and Sushi! :luck:
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

pitterpat

Post by pitterpat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Thank you so much for your well wishes.

Sushi went to the rainbow bridge this morning :cry: I couldn't be with her when she passed as I asked for her to be sedated prior to being given the needle... I don't think I could have stayed anyway as was too upset.

Every time i think about her it makes me cry... which isn't very good sitting in work.

When the vet placed her on the table to examine her she kept trying to crawl back to me and grabbing hold of my hand as if she wanted to crawl up my arm but her little back legs just weren't working... i'll have to go now can't stop crying.

xx
Freya
----------

HannahJ82

Post by HannahJ82 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm

So very sorry for your loss today, you poor thing. It is awful to have to go into work afterwards (I did the same after having my Devy pts as an emergency during lunchbreak, I was bawling my eyes out all afternoon and wished someone would understand and send me home). Sending hugs to you. Rest in peace little Sushi, run free at the bridge now. X
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

kizzie123

Post by kizzie123 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:01 pm

pitterpat wrote:Thank you so much for your well wishes.

Sushi went to the rainbow bridge this morning :cry: I couldn't be with her when she passed as I asked for her to be sedated prior to being given the needle... I don't think I could have stayed anyway as was too upset.

Every time i think about her it makes me cry... which isn't very good sitting in work.

When the vet placed her on the table to examine her she kept trying to crawl back to me and grabbing hold of my hand as if she wanted to crawl up my arm but her little back legs just weren't working... i'll have to go now can't stop crying.

xx
Made me cry just to read the last paragrpah :'(
My three little babies, Bangers, Mash, and Beans <3
My new babies, Cookie and Cream <3

joolzratbag

Post by joolzratbag » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm

So sorry to read this Freya :(
~Joolz~
Bonny :dumbogirly: Annee :dumbogirly:
RIP all those before them <:3 )~~~
Rat Health