brain tumour? too young?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Shorty_biker

brain tumour? too young?

Post by Shorty_biker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 pm

This is a bit of a puzzle i always thought young rats couldnt get brain tumours but according to our vets thats what our under 19week old rattie has!?!? is he too ypung are we missing something most of u said ear infection but vets say tumour im torn as hes lost some weight n looks thin n frail and i dont really want to think its a brain tumour as i hate the fact of watchin him fadin away n not bein able to help him.

Any input???? :'-( :(
*Debz* EC Member
Owned by Lightning, Bolt, Zorro, Shadow, Darwin, Skittle, Ozzy & Hiro!!
Biker Rats
Phoebe's Boutique Rat Jewellery xx

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Re: brain tumour? too young?

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:14 am

I think your Vet suggestion is ridiculous, the chances of a 19 week old rat having a brain tumour are so small as to be negligible ... why does your Vet feel so sure it is a brain tumour?

The youngest I've seen a brain tumour (a PT) in a rat here is 13 months.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 am

I do agree , but some animals, humans are born with brain tumours so it is not impossible , may be improbable. I would ask the vet why he thinks this. It may be worth trying to get a second opinion.
Love is....a dumbo rat

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:54 am

How about encephalitis? that can give similar syptoms to a brain tumour but can occur in very young things. It does seem odd to suggest a brain tumour in such a young rat, i would probably try and find a diferent vet.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Jemma wrote:How about encephalitis? that can give similar syptoms to a brain tumour but can occur in very young things.
Agreed, that is another possible cause as well as ear infection which I think the original poster has also had suggested as a cause ... and the two can even be linked.

I think it's safe to say that in a 19 week old rat the cause is far more likely to be infection than any kind of brain tumour, even if the exact type of infection can't be pinned down, that's certainly what I would be treating for.

I'd agree with other posters on this thread, another Vet and a second opinion is definitely needed.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Shorty_biker

Post by Shorty_biker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am

Ok had second opinion and been told the same again i feel like banging my head off a brick wall its been almost a month now and im at a loss. Can i go into vets n just buy baytril over counter n give him it??? I dont want to lose him but im so confused on what to believe.
*Debz* EC Member
Biker Rats

Shorty_biker

Post by Shorty_biker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am

Ok had second opinion and been told the same again i feel like banging my head off a brick wall its been almost a month now and im at a loss. Can i go into vets n just buy baytril over counter n give him it??? I dont want to lose him but im so confused on what to believe.
*Debz* EC Member
Biker Rats

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 am

You can't buy baytril over the counter. You could ask on here for someone's vet's details, I am sure a member here near you has a good rat vet. So many vets don't know about rats, they will just say whatever to fob you off and that is really frustrating. They could at least try a course of antibiotics to rule out an infection. Ceporex is good for that sort of infections apparently. But you need a better diagnosis and a vet who is willing to put the effort in. Good luck.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

saz87

Post by saz87 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:28 pm

does he have any neurological symptoms? unfortunately i lost a 20 week old to a brain tumor once, so however rare it does happen. it happened to me :( the symptoms for mine begun as a severe ear infection, he was fine in the morning, when i came home from uni he had a massive head tilt, was disorientated and couldn't keep his balance. Rushed him to the vet where he was treated for an ear infection with AB's and steroid injections. Over night he began to spin in circles, again characteristic of an ear infection, but the spinning became so bad i couldn't keep him still, he would literally have spun from one end of the room to the other in seconds if i'd let him go, i had to keep him still grasped in my hands and he was very distressed, then at around 1am his left eye came out of his socket due to swelling in the brain. i called the emergency vet and he was pts. it was utterly awful. It was very sudden with no symptoms before hand. It wasn't a Pituitary tumor, it was in the top left side of his brain, but i still dont fully understand what, how, why. However this is clearly not what is wrong with your boy. but each individual will react to things in different ways.
Its likely this is something else, like an ear problem, is his head tilted to one side? it could also be a PT can he pick up food with his front paws? Is he leaning backwards? what's his breathing like, does he have a rattle or excess porphyrin?
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

Shorty_biker

Post by Shorty_biker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi saz other than a head tilt that has got slowly worse and slight loss in weight he is otherwise fine eatin playin etc. Thats why vets dont think its ear infection cos they would have expected him to be all rolly n disorentated like ur boy was as cos his head tilt is only slowly gettin worse thats why they think its in his brain as he is otherwise fine. I really dont no.
*Debz* EC Member
Biker Rats

saz87

Post by saz87 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:00 pm

sounds like an ear infection to me. even if the infection has cleared up sometimes head tilts are permanent but don't effect the rat in anyway. if he's losing weight though then thats a sign that somethings going on. he needs a course of antibiotics just to clear up any infection that might still be there, maybe steroids to help with any inflammation. have you taken him to 2 separate vets? some vets really do annoy me. one i went to once told me that out of the 6 vets working at the practice only 2 would see rats because the other 4 were afraid of them.... there are just no words!
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

Shorty_biker

Post by Shorty_biker » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Yea seen two vets one did give him an anti inflammatory but thats it. Can it clear up on its own due to long time?
*Debz* EC Member
Biker Rats

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:16 pm

saz87 wrote:does he have any neurological symptoms? unfortunately i lost a 20 week old to a brain tumor once, so however rare it does happen. it happened to me :( the symptoms for mine begun as a severe ear infection, he was fine in the morning, when i came home from uni he had a massive head tilt, was disorientated and couldn't keep his balance. Rushed him to the vet where he was treated for an ear infection with AB's and steroid injections. Over night he began to spin in circles, again characteristic of an ear infection, but the spinning became so bad i couldn't keep him still, he would literally have spun from one end of the room to the other in seconds if i'd let him go, i had to keep him still grasped in my hands and he was very distressed, then at around 1am his left eye came out of his socket due to swelling in the brain. i called the emergency vet and he was pts. it was utterly awful. It was very sudden with no symptoms before hand. It wasn't a Pituitary tumor, it was in the top left side of his brain, but i still dont fully understand what, how, why. However this is clearly not what is wrong with your boy. but each individual will react to things in different ways.
Its likely this is something else, like an ear problem, is his head tilted to one side? it could also be a PT can he pick up food with his front paws? Is he leaning backwards? what's his breathing like, does he have a rattle or excess porphyrin?
I've had this with a young boy I had here - he wasn't more than about 16 weeks and had a head tilt when I brought him home. I lost him a couple of days later. His head tilt had gotten progressively worse and the same evening after seeing the Vet he had a bleed behind one of his eyes, which was bulging, couldn't move - one of his back legs was rigid and splayed and had lost control over toilet functions.

I really hope your boy is ok (:
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Shorty_biker wrote:Yea seen two vets one did give him an anti inflammatory but thats it. Can it clear up on its own due to long time?
If it's an infection, it won't clear up on its own, an anti-inflammatory will only reduce the inflammation and maybe ease the symptoms for a short while but won't cure the problem. I don't understand why they aren't treating him with an aggressive course of antibiotics just in case it is an infection. I don't see what they would have to lose :-?

I hope you can get him some more treatment and he will be ok. Everything crossed here.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

Shorty_biker

Post by Shorty_biker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 am

Well iv called vets n demanded meds waitin on a call bk from vet so il keep u all informed and thanks for well wishes i just hope its no too late x
*Debz* EC Member
Biker Rats