URGENT: very poorly man with a serious wobbles?!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
snufflebear

URGENT: very poorly man with a serious wobbles?!

Post by snufflebear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:59 am

Hi I'm very upset at the moment :cry: . Charlie (28 months) has seemed unwell at the weekend, he has been fluffed up and sneezy. He was like this 2 weeks ago but a course of AB's seemed to fix this again and he was his usual gorgeous self :love: ! Well it started again on Saturday but he has still been eating. I have gone to say hello this morning and he is very weak, he is trying to move around but when he does this, he literally wobbles from side to side for a few seconds, almost like he is trying to steady himself. It is heartbreaking to see as he still looks like he has so much more to give, although obviously very poorly he seems alert and aware of when I'm around etc. I have a vets appointment this morning and was wondering if anyone has anything to suggest, I know that i will have to consider PTS wondering if there if anything I can try for another day or too before I give up on him.
Any suggestions urgently needed, thank you
Proud mummy of Edward, Raoul, Theo and Reuben :smileyrat:, Poppy, Daisy :girly:, Lilly, Sky :dumbogirly:, Blossom and Clover :girly:
R.I.P Oscar, Elmo, Charlie, Rupert, Jasper and Rosie sleep tight babies, have fun at the bridge xxx
E.C. member

snufflebear

Re: URGENT: very poorly man with a serious wobbles?!

Post by snufflebear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 am

Have his appointment in an hour, any ideas?
Proud mummy of Edward, Raoul, Theo and Reuben :smileyrat:, Poppy, Daisy :girly:, Lilly, Sky :dumbogirly:, Blossom and Clover :girly:
R.I.P Oscar, Elmo, Charlie, Rupert, Jasper and Rosie sleep tight babies, have fun at the bridge xxx
E.C. member

snufflebear

Post by snufflebear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:30 pm

well we are back from the vets, luckily still with Charlie :love: . Because of the wobbles the vet thinks that it is probably something terminal e.g. a tumour. He has given him another course of AB's just Baytril 0.15ml twice a day (he weighs 440g is this a strong dose or not?), to treat any underlying infection that may be present and gave him a steroid injection. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that could be given? If their is no improvement in 48 hours then we will have to consider PTS but at the moment he still seems so full of life.
E.C. member

DJSteeltoe

Post by DJSteeltoe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 pm

My thoughts are with Charlie.
RIP Hank, Geezer, Dio, Fast Eddie, Christ, Elvis, Princess Powederpuff - may you all have an auspicious rebirth

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm

If he weighs 440g, then he should be on 0.22ml of Baytril twice a day. So the dose is actually not high enough for him. Considering his age and condition, I'd definitely up the dose, probably to more than 0,22 twice a day. You can go up to 4 times the daily dose. Could the wobbliness not be caused by an ear infection?

Hope Charlie feels better soon. :love:
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

snufflebear

Post by snufflebear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Thank you for your advice :D , I thought the dose seemed quite low as well. He had an AB shot whilst he was there, but I will up the dose. The vet checked his ears and said that he couldn't see any signs of an ear infection. Hopefully he will perk up. I wondered what long term meds people give them when they have things like a PT?
E.C. member

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 pm

There isn't much you can give for PT. Steroids, and I think some people have had good results with Galastop. But I don't know much about them, to be honest.
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

mcfadyen

Post by mcfadyen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:40 pm

It's unlikely the vet would be able to see any sign of an ear infection - they tend to be in the inner ear.

Is Charlie circling or shaking his head?

The only other thing I can think of to suggest is some kind of anti-inflammatory - you can use Calprofen (the 6+ one) if you don't want to go back to the vets for Metacam (unless you have Metacam in of course!).