Help - how to get one rats weight up??

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Kaz542

Help - how to get one rats weight up??

Post by Kaz542 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm

How could I get Buster's weight up before Thursday?? I've tried everything so far but he just doesn't seem to want to eat or drink much now. He was only neutered three weeks ago and was eating fine until last week when he suddenly went downhill. He is now on Baytril 0.15ml twice a day. The vet says he has lost weight and I can see it as he isn't eating much like he used to. :-? I keep offering all sorts of food but i'm lucky if I can get him to eat much of it. Also Bubbles (Buster's brother) keeps stealing Buster's treats after eating his own treats. I do wonder if maybe Buster isn't eating much now due to the hormones disappearing. :)

Also just in query - how can I stop Bubbles from biting at his wounds? He too was neutered at the same time as Buster. The wounds were healing nicely but suddenly he is biting at them and they appear to be coming back open. Bubbles is fine in himself, eating and drinking loads. I gave him a dose of Baytril tonight in a hope that it will catch any infection that might appear.

They are both about 18-21 months old now.

Does small animal tea tree cream do anything to help? and if so what should I be using it for? I have used it on wounds like bites but not for the neutering wounds.
:hearts:
Kaz Owned by:-
Three cats - Romeo, Mitch and Kiki
And lots of rats
RIP - Buster Snr, Bubbles Snr, Cuddles Snr, Casper, Coco and Winnie

ANDREAMARIE

Re: Help - how to get one rats weight up??

Post by ANDREAMARIE » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm so sorry I can't offer much help. It sounds like you are doing your best for him by offering all sorts of yummy food. Hopefully someone with more experience on this kind of thing will be able to help soon. x
Andrea, Davina, Rosie, Buffy, Angel, Willow, Tara & Inka x
RIP Roxy, Robyn, Rita, Ruby, Rachel, Badger and Dot xx

vivree

Re: Help - how to get one rats weight up??

Post by vivree » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 am

Have you tried Nutrical or Nutristat? They (they seem to be the same product, I don't actually know of a difference between the two other than Nutristat being slightly cheaper) are great for rats you need to encourage to eat. It's very high in calories and vitamins, and you only need to give a pea-sized amount to your rats. Plus, rats with even the worst appetites go mad for it, the taste seems to be really appealing.