Neutering

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
jjbean

Neutering

Post by jjbean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:45 pm

im looking to neuter my gus, hes my first pet so im not sure what to ask when i visit the vet to find out which one is the best (there are only 2 local vets) i went to one today and they said they would have to read up on it as they haven't done it that much. i dont want to leave him with people that dont know about rats. any help would be appreciated.
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

BasilTheRat

Re: Neutering

Post by BasilTheRat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm

You definitely should look for a vet with rat experience, since many vets don't seem to have much rat knowledge. It might be a case that you have to travel a bit to find a good rat vet. Good things to ask any new vet who might be doing surgery:

(1) Does my rat need to fast (not eat) before the operation? The answer is no, unlike most other animals. This is a good question to find out if the vet knows anything about rats!

(2) What type of anesthetic do they use? The answer should really be isoflurane gas, since this is the lowest risk / best animal anesthetic available to vets.

(3) What type of pain relief will he need afterwards? The answer should be a few days of metacam, and also some precautionary antibiotics for a week after the operation to prevent infections.

Erm, there are probably more questions, but these are the obvious ones. Also find out how much they charge for the op. A neutering operation for a rat will cost somewhere between £40 and £80. Anything over that you might want to find a different vet.
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 pm

ok ill go and ask the other vet them questions then, i asked most of them at the other vet.
i asked them how many successful neutering ops they have done on rats and the best person to do this, that's when they said they have done it but would have to read up on it (maybe they haven't done one for a while?)
they said they use isoflurane and they would give him pain relief for afterwards.
they said it would cost £32 but the anaesthetic and pain relief would bring the cost up a bit more, they would have to weigh him.

iv been to the other place before to enquire a price, they gave me the price for rabbits... im not sure but giving me a rabbit price doesn't sound too convincing.
i live in aberystwyth and these are the only two vets for miles, i would need a car to get them elsewhere and i don't drive, if neither of them are any good i guess i will just leave it. thanks for the advice though :)
Gus and Jaq <3

*Note - colour tags removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

jjbean

Post by jjbean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:21 pm

the one i went to today also said he doesn't need to fast, so they might know a bit?
Gus and Jaq <3

lily6662000

Post by lily6662000 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Was is W J Downes vets? They are really good with rat neuters and vet Sharon has plenty of experience with them.

Kitel

Post by Kitel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:59 am

Without putting down vets i wouldn't recommend the other for rats at all. Sharon or Sian are the people to ask for in Downes's, but i did get a receptionist once who thought they needed to fast. They have a few that rotate so can't expect them to know everything bless them :D
Lucy; slave to Ollie, Kyran, Womble, Blue, Hattie, Lottie, China, Holly and Champie (the lords and ladies of the SRS)

Waiting at the bridge; Fawn, Oscar, Aoife, Gus & Norman
Proud supporter of and fosterer for Rhydowen Rodent Refuge