Terrified - resp or tumour ? Video

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Sozzer

Terrified - resp or tumour ? Video

Post by Sozzer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:29 pm

HI all,

One of my boys, Angel, started sneezing Sunday morning, so when it hadnt shifted by sunday night I gave him baytril which I had got the week before for his brother who also had been respy. He stayed constant on the baytril but as it was running out and it wasnt really improving, I took him to the vets Tuesday evening and she said to stay on this and to ring her if he got worse. So I continued with 0.2 of baytril twice a day (he is a big boy!). He even showed some sign of improvement last night. But I came to the cage this morning and thought I could hear one of them chewing on some pasta, but was horrified to see/hear that it was Angel's breathing :(

I immediately rang the vet we had seen on Tuesday and she said she would prescribe some Ronaxan. I mentioned doxy and she said this was it??? She had told me to add it to the baytril, a quarter of a tab twice a day. However, as if I wasnt worried enough, she mentioned that if it didnt improve we would have to consider a chest xray as it could be a tumour :oops:

I am terrified, especially as the noise he is making almost all of the time is just awful. He is fine and eating and running around like mad, but I'm now paranoid. Heres a short vid I just took. Any advice or comfort from anyone would be welcome.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v468/ ... 040102.mp4
Just because we won the human race, doesn't mean we have to kill everything that came second

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Re: Terrified - resp or tumour ? Video

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Sozzer wrote:I mentioned doxy and she said this was it???
Ronaxan is doxycycline. Ronaxan is the brand name, doxycycline is the drug name.
However, as if I wasnt worried enough, she mentioned that if it didnt improve we would have to consider a chest xray as it could be a tumour
It's not a tumour. He has an upper resp infection and needs a good wet sneeze to clear his nasal passages and then that noise will stop.

Stop panicking, I am sure your very handsome fella will be fine!
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Baytril and Doxy should be given at least an hour apart, as they counteract one another.

Also, 0.2ml twice a day of Baytril sounds a bit low if he is a big boy.
Emma & the furries x x

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah I was going to say that too. My 600g boy was on 0.4ml of Baytril, and your boy does look like a big, well built lad. He's lovely by the way!
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Ihave a few make this sound it can be scary as it does sound awful, but rest assured they were fine after a getting the baytril.
Just wondering how the vet told you to administer the baytril? As i know a lot of them tell you to put it in the water, which isn`t the best way, so thought i would ask.
mum/slave to Casper, Rico, Todd, Pepper, Louis, Riley, Cosmo, Alfie & Loki.

Missing my little ones at the bridge: Ziggy, Snowy, Buddy, Rocky & Diesel. RIP Boys!

Sozzer

Post by Sozzer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :) I am feeling a bit better now and less panicky. I just wish the noises would stop.

As for the baytril, I have been putting it in beaphar paste as he went berserk when I tried to syringe it in his mouth. Thank you very much Rattybabe because I didnt know you couldnt give them both together :o I cant believe the vet didnt tell me that. :angry: I was going to put both in some baytril tonight.

As for the baytril dosage......I did give him 0.3 this morning as I was using some of the guides that I have seen on here. He wouldnt sit still on the scales but the numbers were jumping in the 800 - 900 range........as I said he is a big boy. :D Should I consider giving 0.4 ???

Thanks again. Sue.
Just because we won the human race, doesn't mean we have to kill everything that came second

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Sozzer wrote:As for the baytril dosage......I did give him 0.3 this morning as I was using some of the guides that I have seen on here. He wouldnt sit still on the scales but the numbers were jumping in the 800 - 900 range........as I said he is a big boy. :D Should I consider giving 0.4 ???

Thanks again. Sue.
Probably, but I suspect that the Doxy will have more effect and knock it on the head anyway.
Emma & the furries x x

sati18

Post by sati18 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey- agree with the others it's a respiratory infection.

as he seems bright and happy don't stress too much- the beytril and the doxy together will help. youcould also ask for bisolvon which thins mucus and can helpthem to be less congested.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.