Dropped

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Adia_Rose

Dropped

Post by Adia_Rose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Ok, I'm having officially the worst day today. Already cried about 4 times, fallen on my bum, lost my keys, had to break into my own house, had horrible news, etc

And now to top it off one of the *really want to say a bad word but won't* children dropped Oli. The fall was about 3 or 4ft onto carpet. Oli ran straight away and hid but I picked her up quickly and she seemed a bit shaken but ok. She hid in my cardigan but then was ok to scrabble around in there and then walked on my lap etc. I put her back in her cage and she's climbed the bars and run around and had a drink. But is there anything I need to look out for after a fall?

I would ask my boss but she's at work. So, until she can have a look at her is there anything I need to check?

She walked fine and didn't squeak or anything when any part of her was touched so no injury or pain that I can tell.
Owned by Calliope and Oleander.

indigoj

Re: Dropped

Post by indigoj » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Mine have regularly taken flying leaps of that sort of height and more (eg top of the explorer to the floor) with no harm so I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep a close eye on her.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Agreed! I am sure mine sometimes think they've got wings. They take huge leaps. They've always been fine. Well, apart from the time when Milly landed in my cornflakes and there was a bit of spluttering - but she got over it!

Jird

Post by Jird » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Rats are pretty sturdy, and she's probably fine :) I'd feel her all over for any lumps or bumps, flex her limbs to check she's not sprained anything, and check her front teeth just in case she's knocked one out (very unlikely! but one of my boys did that once when he fell onto a tile floor :oops:), and keep a close eye on her for the next day or two. But try not to worry, I'd be surprised if a rat managed to hurt themselves falling 3-4 feet onto carpet :luck:
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Ah dont worry Im sure she is 100% fine, but as already said just keep an eye for a day or two. Not long ago my darling OH went to pick Murphy up out of the explorer, Murphy is getting on and very portly. Well my OH dropped him straight on to a tiled floor, and he was 100% ok. A little shocked but like yours after a cuddle and a few belly kisses in way of an apology he was good to go. My OH suffered soooo much more :wink:
Love is....a dumbo rat

Adia_Rose

Post by Adia_Rose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. Oli seemed fine, she didn't even seem bothered after a little cuddle (when I say cuddle I mean a split second before she went to scurry around my cardigan).

Bad moods make me over react lol.

I will keep an eye on her, get my boss to check her over quickly when she gets back. But all limbs were fine when I checked and all teeth intact and soon bruxing away and trying to clean my nails when I was trying to check her!

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 pm

We've all been there so try not to feel bad. I have a rat who seems to love getting herself into trouble. She decided to leap head first into a hot cup of tea one day so I had to quickly grab her and run her under the cold tap. The following week same rat jumped 6 feet to the cage fortunately landing well. Another rat I have about a year ago jumped from my shoulder aiming for the cage 5 feet away, missed the shelf he was hoping for, bounced off and hit the floor and is still here. I could go on. These things happen when you have naughty rats but fortunately, like children they are quite resilient.

It's reassuring to know that you were upset by it though as it shows you care for your little girls. I'm mortified every time it happens.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Adia_Rose

Post by Adia_Rose » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Well I'm spoiling them tonight by giving them yummy beans and crushed insects, nom. They've also had a yoggie each. Will have to have super free range time tomorrow to keep them fit not fat. Though really it's only my little Oli being spoilt after her fall as despite me putting Calli right next to the food she only had a teensy bit before scampering off to her hammock to go back to sleep.

But my boss has checked Oli and says she's 100% fine.

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm glad to hear Oli is fine. I've had rats take the odd tumble - usually when over-optimistic climbing or jumping maneouvres go wrong - and they are usually fine, and just look a bit confused, as if they can't work out why they're suddenly on the floor when they were supposed to be on the windowsill/cupboard/whatever.

Of course it would be best if they *didn't* fall... :roll:
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy