Sudden sneezing fit

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
TheGryffindorFox

Sudden sneezing fit

Post by TheGryffindorFox » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 pm

One of my boys has just had a major sneezing fit - he sneezed about twenty times and kept frantically rubbing his nose. He seems ok now but I was wondering if it was because I used one of those flash household wipes to clean their shelf? I've gone over it with some water and fairy liquid, which is what I normally used to clean the cage, and the sneezing has stopped. Can those types of cleaning products cause this reaction in rats? Either way, I won't be using it again just to be on the safe side!

debzratties

Re: Sudden sneezing fit

Post by debzratties » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi, It could be, as rats noses are very sensitive and household cleaning products are not safe to use around them,
they may also ingest some of the product.
I normally just use unscented baby wipes to wipe down the shelves if the rats are in the cage
and the distinfectant spray for small animals when the rats are out of the cage. I wasn't sure what would be safe to use
when we first got our rats so I checked on here and haven't had any problems using these products.
I also use hot water and washing up liquid when doing the weekly cage clean out and just make sure everything is rinsed
with plenty of water afterwards to remove any soap residue.
My lot sneeze like mad when anybody goes near them wearing perfume etc. so the OH is chuffed to bits that he hasn't had to buy
me any perfume in ages. :lol:
Hopefully the sneezing is just a one off.

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow: