One rat always scratching

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
TheGryffindorFox

One rat always scratching

Post by TheGryffindorFox » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:19 pm

I've got two boys, but only one of them seems to scratch an awful lot. I've had a look through his fur but can't see anything. Does he have mites and if so, why doesn't the other one scratch so much? Can you get stuff from the pet shop to help, or should I take him to the vet? Advice much appreciated, I'm a very inexperienced rat owner. Thanks.

RattyRenton

Re: One rat always scratching

Post by RattyRenton » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Could be mites yes. I've had just one boy out of 8 scratching. You can get Beaphar Spot On from pet shops, the hamster one if the rat is under 300g, and the ferret one if he's over 300g.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 pm

If the problem continues after mite treatment he may have dry skin. Weve found rubbing olive oil on them can help (although you may have to do all your rats to prevent him being licked to death!)

Elizabeth13

Post by Elizabeth13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:30 am

Mine was scratching a lot and had staphylococcus; but mine came with one rat having a bald spot.. The other didn't but still.
If mite treatment doesn't work or moisturising, and indeed bald patches appear then I'd guess its staphylococcus. Either way I am sure a knowledgeable vet could confirm, but mite treatment can be quite easy and straight forward without Vets.
Owned by: :love: Alfa & Kai :love:

Waiting at the Bridge: :rainbow: Jonesy :rainbow: