Metacam for rats hamsters etc

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
EmmaD

Metacam for rats hamsters etc

Post by EmmaD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm just a bit lost i have had rats a long time 10+ years along with lots of other animals big and small. But s you all know where animlas are comes vets too i have had one of the rats to the vets with his chest and you know what you are goung to get baytril and meatacam but this time the vet's give me a bottle of metacam for dogs and said this will last you for a bit. I dont have a probem with this as i know it is made for dogs and cats but what put me off is he said you need to water the dog one down to 50/50 does this sound right to you do you all water your down or just give it from the bottle ?.

Golgotha_tramp

Re: Metacam for rats hamsters etc

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 pm

I got one in a bottle for dogs before and the vet said I needed *I think* 10 drops (as it's a pippette) what I did was measure it out onto a spoon then syringe it up and that gave me my ml dosage. I gave it neat (if they would take it) or mixed in pudding/malt paste it has a sickle sweet taste so isn't as repulsive as Baytril.
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

EmmaD

Post by EmmaD » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for your replay :) i will have a go with what you have done thanks again.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:46 pm

My vet gave us that too which is nice of them as it saves alot of money. He works on 4mg per KG for rats(and the solution is 1.5mg's per ml) - ie a 350gramme rat would need 0.1ml's of the stuff. Please note the syringe supplied with the 'for dogs' version is in kg not ml's so ask your vet for a 1ml syringe.
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie