lump - strange location

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
wantouts

lump - strange location

Post by wantouts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

hi guys

having a bit of a ratty nightmare at the moment, my oldest rat Thelma died on Friday night and yesterday I discovered a small lump on the back of my otherwise healthy 18 month old female Franki.

its kind of oval shaped and just to the right of her spine, I have never noticed it before and she gets handled daily so it must be a new thing.

It isnt in the usual place for a cancerous lump but am a bit worried about how close it is to her spine, will this make operating on it more difficult? It doesnt seem to be causing her any pain.

she is booked in to see the vet tomorrow, I have also moved house recently and this is the first visit to the new vet so also a bit nervous about that.

Just wanting some reassurance she is going to be ok really, am still upset about loosing Thelma on Friday and the thought of another one going any time soon is killing me :(

KateR

Re: lump - strange location

Post by KateR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm

It is probably just an ordinary lump, they can get them just about anywhere. Good luck with the new vet.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

wantouts

Post by wantouts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:32 pm

do they usually remove the lump?

I've never had any of mine have a lump before so its a bit scary :(

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Frost had a lump in the same sort of place a couple of months ago. She had it removed at the beginning of december and that went fine. I can post before and after photos if that helps?
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

wantouts

Post by wantouts » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:40 am

that would be great :)

What should I be expecting at the vets? I assume tonight they will just look at it and then we decide what to do?

If they do decide to remove it are there any questions I should ask before I let them operate on her?

New vet..... I'd trust my old vet completely with her but they are now miles away :(

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

This photo was taken the night before Frost had her lmp removal. It was about half the size of her head, and it felt a lot like someone had put an egg under her skin. I could push the lump from where it was to down by her hips, and it could be turned upside down without really trying hard.

This photo was taken the night after her lump removal. She had internal stitches, and the skin layer was glued together.

At the vets they'll have a look at the lump and try and figure out what it is. They'll then ask you if you want it removed. You should as what sort of anesthetic they use as injectable anesthetics can be hard to dose correctly, while gas is fairly safe. Of course the is a small risk with all anesthetics, and your vet will get you to sign a bit of paper that says you understand these risks. I can't think of anything else. Sorry for the massive pictures!
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

wantouts

Post by wantouts » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm

quick update - took her to the vet last night, he examined her and said he didnt think it was a tumour due to its location (its on the top of her back) and he though from feeling it that it was a fatty lump, but he weighed her and she isnt overweight.

he said he didnt think operating on her was necessary especially at the moment as it might amount to nothing. Been told to keep a close eye on her and if it gets any bigger or changes in any way I have to bring her back in.

She didnt like the vets very much and is now back cozied up in her sputnik looking a bit angry with me.

fingers crossed it goes away or stays the same!

iadorerats

Post by iadorerats » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:10 am

It sounds like your doing a fabulous job...My rat is actually suffering from a tumour behind her right leg. If you find a lump here be sure to get to the vets quickly, for a diagnosis. Pip is still alive 6 weeks on after finding the lump, she is 4 going 5 in march and the vet said she wouldn't survive the op. so we are cuddling her all of the time and she seems rather content, she is on my lap now grinding her teeth and washing herself.

Thanks and good luck iadorerats and Pip :girly:
iadorerats-pixie,snacks,trixie,pip. Happy to help and ask...

icklepinkrat

Post by icklepinkrat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

I've just been through the same thing with my girl Peanut. She developed a lump in the same place that you describe, just to the right of her spine, but quite far back, at sort of hip level. Hers popped up pretty much over night, but continued to grow quite quickly. We decided to have it removed last week, and unfortunatly the vet said that it didn't look like the usual fatty lump or mammary tumour. :(

Peanut is only 8 months old, so we just have to hope that it doesn't re-occur. We tend to have a one lump removale policy for our fuzzies, so i'm not really sure what we would do if it came back.
:smileyrat: Rosie, Bella,Tinker, Peanut, Tilly :olddumbobuck: Bob, Sid, Cartman & Jynx

:rainbow: Marbles, Smudge, Poppy, Hooch, Rex, Patch, Bubbles