help!! iv hurt pooky please help

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratobsessed

help!! iv hurt pooky please help

Post by ratobsessed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Iv just got the rats out for free range time and I think I caught pookys back foot as I sat down and now she won't put weight on it and when she walks its curled up and she drags it sits down and shakes it wot do I do please help x
My babies are Pooky, Domino, Scrumpy, Smudge, Buttons, Jinx, Badger and the new additions Dexter and Bruce.

Jacsicle

Re: help!! iv hurt pooky please help

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Might be worth a trip to the emergency vet even if it's just to get some painkillers for her?
Jacsicle
:smileyrat: Bell :girly: Kia-Ora :girly: Leila :girly: Bo
Parkies :dumbogirly: Tiny :dumbogirly: Ice
:smileyrat: Charlie Brown :smileyrat: Max
:halo: Barksdale

ratobsessed

Post by ratobsessed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:34 pm

She isnt sqeeking and still running round
My babies are Pooky, Domino, Scrumpy, Smudge, Buttons, Jinx, Badger and the new additions Dexter and Bruce.

Jacsicle

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 pm

By the way, don't feel guilty about it these things happen and you just have to make sure she's checked over. Accidents happen during free range and they're better off having that free range time than not. I hope she's ok, hopefully it's nothing too serious, someone else on here might be able to give you better advice than me.
Jacsicle

Jacsicle

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Maybe she'll be fine in a bit then and start putting it down. Maybe keep an eye on her and see what happens?
Jacsicle

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm

First, calm down. It was an accident.

Second, will she let you feel it (very gently)? It would help if you can see if it's broken, dislocated, or just bruised.

Third, she needs to see a vet - you can either do this now as an emergency, or book her in in the morning. I can't advise on which you should do as obviously, I can't see her. However, I would say if the foot is crushed, if there is poor blood supply to it, or if she is in serious pain (as in obvious distress, not just reluctance to put weight on it), she should be seen now, but if the foot is in good condition, and she is ok in herself, just reluctant to use it, it can probably wait till morning. If she's still running around, it sounds like it can wait, but you have to be the ultimate judge.

If she will let you, putting a cold compress on it will help reduce swelling, and if you have metacam, then giving her a drop or two will make her more comfortable.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

ratobsessed

Post by ratobsessed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:50 pm

She is grooming the side its on and she let's me feel her leg no squeeks or any thing I feel bad I hurt her. Il take her first thing but keep an eye on her tonight. Thanks guys x

Jacsicle

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 pm

No worries, and don't feel bad accidents happen and you're definately not the first one to write a post like that!

Just be mindful that if it's not causing any pain at all but she's not putting it down, that it's not because there isn't feeling there - eg dislocated or poor blood flow, in which case you want to get her checked so as to avoid further complications. I don't know if the foot can die in that situation and need amputation - I'm not an expert at all, just trying to think logically. I don't want to scare you though as I can't see it so it might be fine!
Jacsicle

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

How do oyu know if a foot is broken or dislocated in some way? Just asking coz I noticed Abigail's back right foot is swollen which is a new one on me and she's limping on it. She let me feel it but I don't really know what I'm doing/can't feel anything.... No idea how she's done it. She's keeping hers flat though not curnled up.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

ratobsessed

Post by ratobsessed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Iv put her in with the bottom of the cage with scrumpy so she has some one to cuddle with food water and a comfy bed il check her first thing if she is still the same il go Yup the vets. Poor thing. X

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 am

Lackis wrote:How do oyu know if a foot is broken or dislocated in some way? Just asking coz I noticed Abigail's back right foot is swollen which is a new one on me and she's limping on it. She let me feel it but I don't really know what I'm doing/can't feel anything.... No idea how she's done it. She's keeping hers flat though not curnled up.
You can't know if it's cracked or bruised, as they both just involve pain and swelling. However if it's seriously broken it will be swollen or the wrong shape, and if it's dislocated, the relevant part won't be in quite the right place. If in doubt, getting a vet to feel is the best way.

ETA: swelling can also be due to other things including infection, so if you don't know how it happened, I'd defiintely ask a vet.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

ratobsessed

Post by ratobsessed » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:40 am

oh thank god iv just looked at pooky and she is using her back leg to climb the bars she is also walkin fine and putting weight back onto it.
thanks every one for ur help!!!!! xxx

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:55 pm

ratobsessed wrote:oh thank god iv just looked at pooky and she is using her back leg to climb the bars she is also walkin fine and putting weight back onto it.
thanks every one for ur help!!!!! xxx
Glad she's ok :D I've made a vet appointment for Abigail just to check as her foot is still swollen.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

Miss Muffet

Post by Miss Muffet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:53 pm

How's Pooky today?

And Abigail?
:dumbo: Boys - Badger,Bailey, Bear, Bramble :girly: Girls - Pink, Socks, Twinkle, Heidi, Pipsqueak, Scotch Egg.
:halo: Scabbers, Remy, Matilda, Tinkerbell, Pooter, Sapphire Sparklebutt, Dotty Doodle, Ambrosia Custardlump, Betty Blunderbuss.

ratobsessed

Post by ratobsessed » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Miss Muffet wrote:How's Pooky today?

And Abigail?
Pooky is loads better thank you. She is climbing bars putting weight down on it and seems back to normal. I'm still keeping a close eye on her if I see any thing abnormal il book a vet appointment. Touch wood I won't need to