Respiratory Problem - Baytril and other advice please

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
gremlin696

Respiratory Problem - Baytril and other advice please

Post by gremlin696 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:42 am

Hi,

I have just come back from the vets with my 8 month old male dumbo, Squidge. I took him as he was a bit snuffly, breathing quickly and generally out of sorts i.e not interested in food. The vet listened to his chest and she said it was a bit crackly and that he may have a respiratory problem. She gave him a baytril injection and some to take away with me saying that he will need 0.2ml in 100ml of water every day and hopefully he will improve in the next few days. She also said to move him away from my other boys for a couple of weeks, this worries me a little as I think he will get really miserable on his own but is this the way to go? could the others also get breathing problems?

I would really like to hear others advice as although the vet was a nice lady and sounded like she knew what she was talking about I would like to hear what other ratty owners think.

Many thanks :-?
Proudly owned by Frodo and Bilbo Baggins d.o.b 08.02.08 passed away June and July 2010 R.I.P my sweethearts.
R.I.P Eric our little petshop rescue boy
Now a proud mummy to Squidge, Pip and Stan

hmkiernan

Re: Respiratory Problem - Baytril and other advice please

Post by hmkiernan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I have only ever owned the one rat with repiratory illness, and he was given Baytrill but also a powder to sprinkle on his food, can't remember what it was called now but it was like a decongestant (sp?) as he was very snuffly in his upper breathing, other than that I didn't keep him away from his cage mate, whether or not I should have I don't know but his cage mate was fine.
- Helen x

:dumbogirly: Owned by Amber, Pearl, Jet & Lucy
:rainbow: RIP Basil, Charlie, Dylan & Harry

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm

You don't need to remove your boy from the company of his cagemates, I personally feel that this is more likely to stress him out and probably worsen his symptoms than be a help. Also I've had several rats with respiratory illness and have never given them baytril in water - it's impossible for you to ensure that it is only the poorly rat drinking the water whilst sharing a cage with other rats and also baytril tastes quite bitter so he may avoid drinking and possibly become dehydrated. Try mixing the baytril with some malt paste/choc spread or similar and feeding it to him, or mixing with a small bit of ribena and syringing directly into his mouth. 0.2ml seems like quite a low dose too, how much does he weigh and what strength of baytril have you been prescribed? :)
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Also keep an eye on the site of the baytril injection - directly injecting baytril can sometimes cause a sore, scabby 'baytril burn', although it is a good way to get a good dose of antibiotic straight into the rat if necessary. I think bisolvon is the name of the powder mentioned - it's a mucolytic that thins the mucus in the airways and allows the rat to expel it more easily, I normally request that for any rat suffering from resp problems as it seems to ease their sneezing considerably.
Jen, plus:

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Agreed, don't separate him and don't give the baytril in water.

If it were me I'd give at least 0.2ml twice a day. He shluld hopefully start to improve in just a few days.

:luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

gremlin696

Post by gremlin696 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Thank you for all your comments, I am glad you don't recommend keeping him separate, I had already split the cage following vet advice but will put him back with his friends now. The label on the bottle from vet says 5ml baytril 2.5% oral 100ml give 0.2ml in 100ml water fresh every day. Should I use it all or just until his symtoms subside?

I was given a syringe so I could mix the dose and try and put it straight in his mouth as he is quite calm being handled and should I dose 2 x daily as daffee suggested? I have weighed Squidge and he is around 568g, give or take a couple of grams!!

Thanks again much appreciated.

xx :)
Proudly owned by Frodo and Bilbo Baggins d.o.b 08.02.08 passed away June and July 2010 R.I.P my sweethearts.

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

It is best to administer baytril via syringe, twice a day as rats metabolic rate is so fast, so do one dose in the morning and one at night :)

How long did the vet say the medicine will last? They should be on it for at least 14 days, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

pandorarising

Post by pandorarising » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:30 pm

I don't want to disagree with the vets recommendation but I am giving the same dosage to two of my ratties at the moment and in 100 ml of water it would be an ordeal to get it into them. Instead I hide it on a bit of bread, mix it with chocolate, put it in mashed eggs and vary it so they don't associate the same food with the medication (one is still very crafty and knows it in whichever form it is in). I also would never seperate them from their groups and my vet would never recommend this either. I thought I was doing the right thing by seperating my hind leg problem boy the other day as the baby cage was easier to keep him level and even though he was with small babies, he got lacerated on his belly, not able to defend himself. I rearranged the upstairs afterwards and the reception he got from his friends was really emotional. So seperation is really not a good idea. In the end you need to decide what you do but when it comes to rats we as owners need to be knowledgable about their care and be flexible sometimes with treatment.

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:17 am

My vet always prescribes twice a day dosing for baytril (for the reasons already mentioned) and the course needs to be at least 10-14 days long to really take effect. I wouldn't suggest direct syringing first as it can be quite an ordeal for the rat in question, I normally have one person helping me to the hold the rat and sometimes wrap them up gently in a piece of fabric to stop them scratching/wriggling so much as without that most of the liquid goes everywhere but in the rats mouth :lol: but I would suggest hiding the dosage in food first and seeing if you can get it into him that way as it's much easier :)
Jen, plus:

cordis

Post by cordis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:26 am

One of my girls has the same problem at the moment. I adminster her Baytril mixed with Ribena orally with a syrigne.

As for the Bisolvon powder, I found the best way was to wet my finger with Ribena from a bowl and then sprinkle some of the powder onto the finger, so she can lick it off. Good luck~

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:48 am

Theres a guide on Baytril here.. http://fancy-rats.co.uk/information/gui ... ct=baytril which is worth having a look at as it gives all the info on how long etc and things to try hiding it in.

The dosage should be 0.1ml per 100g of ratty - so for Squidge it would be 0.55ml over 2 doses so 2 doses of about 0.3ml. Putting it in water is a fairly ineffective way as its just diluting it, unless they actually drink the full 100ml they're not getting the correct dose, its vile stuff anyway so the chances of them drinking even half of that are very slim :lol:

If I need to give baytril I usually put it in a little bit of soya milk and find it goes down well.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:15 am

I agree with what has been said above, for a rat Squidge's size I would also be using 0.3mls of Baytril twice a day.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

gremlin696

Post by gremlin696 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:27 am

Thank you everone for your really useful advice, it is great to know that there are so many knowledgeable people on here who will help. :) Squidge has had his dose this morning in strawberry soya milk but I will be reading the article via the link that Jimi and Milo replied with to look for crafty ways to hide it, although may try the ribena and syringe method tonight when hubby gets home from work.

I know that baytril is not an overnight success but Squidge seems perkier today thankfully as he is way too young to depart this earth, hope to have him for at leat another couple of years.

Will keep you posted on how he does.

Thanks again :D