Ab's not working.....what next??

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
elisa

Ab's not working.....what next??

Post by elisa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:35 pm

My 3 boys, 20mths, all have chronic respiratory issues. Bayril doesn't work, ronaxan worked for a while but have had so many courses of it that we think it caused their teeth to drop out and now they are on Septrin. Not only is this an absolute nightmare to get into them (I have had to resort to syringing, which is not ideal and makes their laboured breathing worse :( ), it is not working and they are slowly deteriorating.

What other Ab's can I try them on?? The vet offered Noroclav the last time, I know this gives them a dicky tum but is it effective for respiratory issues?? Is there a combination that would work (other than the baytril/ronaxan)? I think I'll need something that is effective against myco AND secondary infection.

Any ideas???
Mum to Rosie, Lily, Ava, Nala, Greta & Morgan and boys, Ernie, Freddie & Jake

RIP Bridie, Esme, Pip, Perdi, Pepper, Mika, Milly Moo,Tia, Clara, Max, Amos, Horace, Donny & Johnny my ginger ninja....thinking of you always:(((

ErnieG!

Re: Ab's not working.....what next??

Post by ErnieG! » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I really have no clue, I'm just getting used to all the different meds :oops:
I just didn't want to read and run, good luck trying to get boys better :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Felix

Post by Felix » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:29 pm

I also found septrin such a nightmare that I had to give up with it, it made Scrappy very distressed and fearful of me and seemed to make her feel sick, so it wasn't just the awful taste that was the problem.

If doxy worked, then despite the teeth issues, i would be inclined to go with that.

noroclav/ clavaseptin i've used for almost a year with Georgia for the abcesses in her head and its been brilliant (so easy to give), but don't know about how effective it is for resp issues. Boris is on it too (also for abcess) and neither of them have had tum problems.

Have you tried zithromax?

elisa

Post by elisa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Yep, I've tried zithromax....it didn't work :( It is so frustrating, I try my best to keep them all healthy, I do everything right and work my butt off to keep them all clean and they still get sick :angry: ......I am having a terrible few months, its all lumps, respy's and vets :(

RIP Bridie, Esme, Pip, Perdi, Pepper, Mika, Milly Moo,Tia, Clara, Max, Amos, Horace, Donny & Johnny my ginger ninja....thinking of you always:(((

elisa

Post by elisa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 pm

*Bump* I'm off back to the vets in the morning :(

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 am

Noroclav can work for some resp infections, but it isn't active against Myco at all. You could also try Draxxin (can be expensive, usually a large animal treatment) or Erythromycin which are both macrolide antibiotics loosely related to Zithromax.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

elisa

Post by elisa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:57 am

If the septrin isn't working, does that mean that the respiratory issues are not Myco based?? Could I add baytril to the noroclav, thus covering the myco and secondary infection bases or are they not compatible?

elisa

Post by elisa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Right, I've gone with the noroclav & baytril (after having to deal with a very snotty & sarcastic vet :angry: ) am I correct in thinking that these can be given together without a time gap in between?

I am extremely concerned about one of the boys, who declined whilst on the septrin, he is very lethargic, fluffed up and is virtually refusing all food, it took me an hour to get him to take the meds and he has point blank refused to take anything else....I am just hoping these Ab's work for him and get into his system in time :(

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Have you got any steroids? Steroids can give a quick boost to a rats appetite and make them feel more comfortable due to their strong anti inflammatory properties. Antibiotics take a few days to work so if you can get him a steroid that may buy him the time he needs for the meds to kick in.

You could try something like nutrical or beaphar malt paste both of which stimulate appetite.

good luck, i have my fingers crossed for him

EDIT- if you don't see improvement within a week, try replacing the baytril with Erythromycin. It;s bacteriocidal as is baytril and effective against myco but has better penetration
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

elisa

Post by elisa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I have got a steroid into him this evening ( I had to wait because he'd had metacam the night before), he has perked up slightly, he took a yoggie from me, he refused at lunch time so I knew he was seriously ill, I have had to resort to syringing some honey water into him, he had about 1ml :( ....but on the up side,he did nibble a tiny bit of shredded wheat, so I haven't lost all hope yet.....just gotta get him to take the noroclav now :roll: