Frost has hurt her hand :(

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Snippet

Frost has hurt her hand :(

Post by Snippet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Her wrist is swollen and she won't put weight on that leg. She cat eat with it, What should I do, or should I let her get on with it? She's 21 months old.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Blossomgirl

Re: Frost has hurt her hand :(

Post by Blossomgirl » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd leave her be and just keep an eye on it. If you give painkillers, she may use the paw more than she should, slowing down healing. We've had a few sprained/ twisted/ bruised paws around here in the past, and they always heal when left to themselves. Even if the bones are broken, there is nothing you could do to aid healing anyway. A rat isn't going to put up with a cast or a splint!

Because it's a front paw, I'd make sure she can eat ok. If she's having trouble, you'll need to give her some soft food until her paw is better.
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:54 pm

I would give her some pain relief, ibuprofen/metacam and/or paracetamol.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Abelia

Post by Abelia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Awww, poor Frost :(

My Merlin was the same the other week, he couldn't use his front leg at all and I was so worried. I just gave him soft foods that he could eat without having to use his paw and it's pretty much healed now. I hope Frost feels better soon! :luck:
Alyssa :D Mum to:
Merlin and Pixel :dumbo: Jelly and Pocky :smileyrat: Basil, Beanie, Marvin and Nemo :dumbo:
Always in my heart R.I.P: :hearts: Reggie, George, Homer, Bart and Brave Bilbo :dumbohalo: :love:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 pm

She's eating. I was giving her yogurt drops and she was hoovering them up :D

Mum has told me to give her Arnica to help with the swelling.

Poor old Frost. She's looking like she's been in a war at the moment :(
Cara,

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Frost is walking much better today. Her foot is still very swollen, but she's putting weight on that leg instead of hopping about on 3 legs.
Cara,

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 am

I'm glad she's getting better. :D :luck:
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.

Abelia

Post by Abelia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:33 pm

It's good to hear she is getting better! :luck:
Alyssa :D Mum to:
Merlin and Pixel :dumbo: Jelly and Pocky :smileyrat: Basil, Beanie, Marvin and Nemo :dumbo:
Always in my heart R.I.P: :hearts: Reggie, George, Homer, Bart and Brave Bilbo :dumbohalo: :love:

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Glad she is getting better. I've had a few rats who've hurt their paws, mostly some metacam has helped them, and in one case I removed the injured rat to a smaller cage, but only because he was crying like a girl. Normally they are back to normal in less than a week. If it starts to look funny or gets worse then pop to the vets, otherwise it sound like she's healing up fine :luck: :girly:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:35 am

Frost is 100% back to normal. She was out for an hour and a half last nigh and didn't take a lame step once. I also caught her on top of the shelves, so she is climbing well :roll:
Cara,

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:37 am

Snippet wrote:Her wrist is swollen and she won't put weight on that leg. She cat eat with it, What should I do, or should I let her get on with it? She's 21 months old.

This is so totally off topic, but are you the person who bought the savic rat wheel from ECF? I was reading reviews and someone has a girl named frost too and I just bought it from my males. you said it was too small for your girls though (well, if it was you!) so I'm not slightly regretting it!

I hope that Frost will make a quick recovery! Perhaps this is an excuse to spoil her rotten with her favourite baby food ^^ Sorry for not being helpful!
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 am

So glad to hear Frost is back to normal. :D Give her scritchs from me. :D

:girly:
Foster mummy to Toby.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Anthony wrote:
Snippet wrote:Her wrist is swollen and she won't put weight on that leg. She cat eat with it, What should I do, or should I let her get on with it? She's 21 months old.

This is so totally off topic, but are you the person who bought the savic rat wheel from ECF? I was reading reviews and someone has a girl named frost too and I just bought it from my males. you said it was too small for your girls though (well, if it was you!) so I'm not slightly regretting it!
Nope, that wasn't me. My girls have a Silent Spinner, and I bought it from someone on here :)
Cara,